• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Sealer System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leather Sealer System

This would be good on our black leather couch.

Comment

For on-going monthly maintenance and conditioning, should I be using the sealant, or leather conditioner? i.e. Is it safe to use other products over the sealant? Also is there any point?

Comment

this system "seals" the leather.
        no need for monthly maintains.
        once this is applied that's it.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

My $0.02 on the care of protected leather.

With or without a sealer, protected leather needs regular maintenance. For me that includes a major cleaning 2-4 times a year and resealing with a water-based fluorocarbon protector. This routine maintenance also includes a weekly wipe down with UQD or a wrung out cotton towel. It is this weekly maintenance that keeps the leather hydrated, supple and lessens the leather's penchant for creasing/cracking. The leather, whether sealed or not, is hydrated by a process called transpiration. In essence, leather is a fibrous substance and absorbs moisture via elevated humidity in close proximity, even through the urethane coating. Conditioners act in a similar manner on protected leather in that they are mostly water and increase the humidity in close proximity to the leather, rehydrating them. Nothing but proper hydration is needed to maintain the suppleness of leather. Leather's ultimate softness is determined in the tanning process. No amount of conditioners/oils can alter that. The process imbeds all the oils (fat liquors) and chemicals the leather can ever need or use. These are not lost over time. What is lost over time is the moisture level. Keep in mind that leather shrinks when it is dry and swells when it is hydrated. This repeated process is what can cause cracks and creases in leather.

Automobile leather is subjected to very extreme environments from temps over 150 degrees F to sometimes well below zero F. Humidity levels are all over the map. Weekly wipe downs will keep your leather soft and supple and regular cleaning will keep the topcoat in good condition. Cleaning of protected leather is really just the process removing surface dirt that is sitting on the urethane topcoat of the leather. It is important to remove this dirt so as not to burnish or degrade the topcoat.

I personally don't use leather conditioners but do I use a protectant (sealer) and regular hydration to keep my leather looking like new. If you have damaged leather, using an oily conditioner will excerbate the damage as the oil gets into the actual leather and loosen the adhesion of the topcoat. I have protected leather that is over 25 years old that still looks like new so I know my processes work. I'd suggest to use whatever process works for you and use it often.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

^^^.... more like a buck fifty's worth of advise.. that is exactly how to take care of leather.
            Keep it clean and protected, just like paint, as it is "painted leather"

One valuable bit of advise is NEVER use a silicone base dressing/conditioner. Silicone will destroy leather.
            As long as the product is "made for Leather" then you'll be ok.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

So, I thought I would register and share my opinion on this product. First, let me start off by saying this product is amazing!!! I thought it was going to be another one of those "wanna-be" cleaners and I would just end up scrubbing to get things clean. Well I was wrong. Let this product do the scrubbing for you. I have a 2003 10th Anniversary Cobra. It comes with dark gray and red leather seats. My drivers seat from being a 10 year old car was starting to look a little darker compared to the rest of the seats. So, i decided to give this product a try from reading some good reviews on it. It turned out to be great. Since my drivers seat was my main concern i started with it first. I sprayed directly onto the red leather on a little spot and wiped it off. I sprayed again, wiped, and noticed it was getting clean. I wasent even putting any force onto the rag that comes with the kit. So i kept spraying on that spot till it was bright red again. I started smiling. I couldn't believe that this was actually working. Finally..a product that did the job. Just take your time and do it right the first time. Best part about the cleaner was that I never had to use any force to get the dirt and stuff to come out the seats pores.

Comment

^^^ what are you talking about?
                this is a thread on the sealer system.
                Are you talking about the new leather cleaner?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Finally found some in-store in the country... Now for a nice day to try it on the leather seats on the HSV...

Comment

Easy two step procedure....

Helps you protect the interior from common stains like, grease, makeup, ketchup and other common stains...

Step one Leather Prep.

Step Two Leather Sealer.....

Atomizer fro the sealer Step included.....

Foam Pad and Microfiber Towel.....

Comment

Thanks for the product info Mike. I will be buying a couple boxes of this for our rides very soon.

Comment

I just bought this and tried it this weekend on the leather seats, the leather part of the door panels and the leather part of the steering wheel that houses the airbag on my 99 Pontiac GRand Prix GT. I followed the directions and I am very happy with the results. Another great product that I will be using on my cars and a product that I would recommend to my family. I paired this with ultimate protectant spray on the rest of the interior which is vinyl, rubber and plastic.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have one question. I have used this on both of my cars so far. I still have some of the prep cleaner and a lot of the sealer. I have plans to do another car that has a little more leather. What would be a good alternative cleaner to use that would still work with the sealer I have remaining?
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                            I have one question. I have used this on both of my cars so far. I still have some of the prep cleaner and a lot of the sealer. I have plans to do another car that has a little more leather. What would be a good alternative cleaner to use that would still work with the sealer I have remaining?
                            Woolite (blue & white bottle) mixed 1:20 (5% solution) with water makes a very decent cleaner for protected leather. As with any cleaners, it is a good idea to wipe the leather down with a wrung out towel to remove any trace of the detergent. This is pretty much what Lexus recommends for cleaning their leather.

From the 2014 RX330 owners manual:
                            Cleaning the leather areas
                            • Remove dirt and dust using a vacuum cleaner.
                            • Wipe any excess dirt and dust with a soft cloth dampened with diluted detergent.
                              Use a diluted water solution of approximately 5% neutral wool detergent.
                            • Wring out any excess water from the cloth and thoroughly wipeoff all remaining traces of detergent.
                            • Wipe the surface with a dry, soft cloth to remove any remaining moisture. Allow the leather to dry in a shaded and ventilated area.

Jim
                            My Gallery

Comment

Thanks.

Found this after a little searching.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

New Member here.
                                This is a really useful thread and I found it very interesting.
                                I just bought a used Lexus IS250, their entry level model, and what confounds me is trying to determine what is and what isn't leather/where the leather ends and the vinyl/leatherette begins. The leather in the Lexus is polyurethane coated.
                                They craft that vinyl/leatherette so cleverly that it's extremely difficult to tell the difference and I'd love to see some suggestions on how to positively tell the two apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');