Hello all. New on the site here and have been putting a good deal of time into researching products and methods to clean up the paint on my wifes baby. It is a 2006 Midnight Blue (metal flake) Honda Ody and is the kid carrier for football, Scouts etc. Also gets the occasional long distance road trip. My problem is that being a DD, it has its fair share of door dings, scuffs, swirl marks and scratches. I'm not even going to worry about that plastic gash in the front of the passenger side outside rear view mirror from a mailbox pull handle. I have typically used Blue Coral car wash with a no name brand MF wash mitt, followed up by Megs Cleaner/ Wax for protection. I have begun to really realize how I could do better with what I normally do. With Christmas coming I am putting the DA buffer on the Santa list but in the meantime want to start getting the paint into shape. I had previously used a scratch remover to lessen the scratches which made the paint worse since I used it on the whole car. Anyway, with all the noticeable swirls and scratches, I would appreciate the boards advice. Here is what I was thinking of doing:
- Wash with the Blue Coral I have remaining and dry with an Absorber. (Have read that it is an excellent product to remove the remaining water after sheeting off the big stuff)
- Start the paint cleaning with the clay bar kit from Megs, remove with a MF towel
- Use SwirlX or Deep Crystal Paint System Cleaner to finish getting the paint clean and to remove as mush as possible the swirls and haze
- Next step, use Deep Crystal System Polish for the deep polished look
- Follow up with Gold Class Carnauba Plus. I used the original version years ago on a Trans Am I owned and was very impressed with its deep shine
Like I say, from a real detailing standpoint I have very little experience and have always done my waxing with an applicator and removal with a cotton towel or orbital polisher with a terry cloth cover. Appreciate the feedback.