• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing scratches on Single Stage Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing scratches on Single Stage Paint

I was working on a '93 Mazda Miata with red single stage paint. After claying, I noticed several scratches; never happened to me before so I'm kind of baffled. Anyway, what product(s) can I use to remove it? I tried Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Compound but no luck; applied by hand. Is there something else that would take these little scratches off?

Also, some of the car has oxidation. What product(s) can I use to remove the oxidation?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Removing scratches on Single Stage Paint

Single stage paint .............How deep are the scratches ? Can you put your finger nail in them . Do they go down to the primer or bare metal . If NO answers these questions and the paint does not have any metallic in it . ( a solid color ) . I would wet sand with 2500 to remove the scratches . The buff the area with a mild compound . Followed by ultimate polish , the ultimate wax. These will also help with your oxidation problem in which red single stage in famous for . Once you achive the finsh you want . I would keep an eye on it and apply ultimate polish as soon as it starts to fade . Which will be in 3/4 months . Now you know why base coat / clear coat is so much better .

Comment

For oxidation on SS paint, my go-to is M80. The abrasives are relatively mild, but your paint will love the high oil content. Deeper scratches may still need UC or even wetsanding followed by UC, but products such as UC will be more effective after the paint has had an infusion of a high oil content product. Here's a very valuable article detailing restoration of SS paint:http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
      The processes in the article are far more effective on 80's and older tech SS finishes, but even the 90's era SS paints will be receptive to the oil content in M07 or M80, albeit to a lesser degree.

Bill

Comment

Just finished a 93 Rx7 red, single stage. I'm assuming the same color. honestly I would go out an get a polisher, even a used one off craigslist. Single stage is tricky but with a decent da those marks should be no problem.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');