• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i remove wax & polish to get to clear coat scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i remove wax & polish to get to clear coat scratches

i have a beautiful truck but have fine scratches and cob webs i havent been able to remove with my g-100 dual action buffer and medallion paint cleaner and #7 polish. i think one reason is because i put a few coats of crystal polish and nxt wax by hand when i first bought the truck and need to cut thru it to get to the clear coat paint where the scratches are. is there a product to strip the wax and polish off? i tried 5 applications of medallion paint cleaner and got minor results. do i need #83?

I would go for #83, then #80, then wax...

The layers of polish, etc shoudlnt be a problem.

Are you claying, and using good quality products as well? The clay wil lremove any other contaminats, that you dont want to polish into the surface. And the good quality products will keep you from putting swirls back in that you just removed.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi Mike,

The Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner should be more than effective enough at cleaning your car's paint to also remove any previously applied polish or wax.

If the G100/MPPC/W-8006 is not removing the swirls then we would suggest using M80 Speed Glaze first, and if that doesn't get it, then you could substitute something more aggressive such as the M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish.

Successfully removing below surface defects depends on a lot of different factors, right pad and product choice are only two of those factors, just as important is the right technique. Paint hardness, and/or softness is also an important factor.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks murr and mike for your replies.

yes i am using high quality products:
        m-100 da buffer
        gold class micrifiber towels
        ultimate bonnet
        ultimate wipes

gold class car wash shampoo & conditioner
        bug and tar remover
        speed detailer
        meguiars mild clay
        medallion paint cleaner
        #7 polish
        nxt gen wax

i think the lack of success i've had getting out the mild scratches, cob webs and blemishes are because of hard paint.

i drive a 2001 dodge dakota slt 4x4 with 28,000 miles. when i bought it last december it had 21,000 miles and was formerly leased. paint looked pretty good but has some nicks, scratches, cobwebs, and what looks like and imprint of the oils from a fingerprint trapped under polish and wax. also a small round .5cm defect i don't know the term for. a couple of the nicks have the white primer showing but no steel.

here's my plan your views are welcome

1. wash
        2. clay
        3. #83 untill scratches gone
        3.5 follow with #80 if neccessary
        4. #7 untill deep shine
        5. nxt wax

mike,
        you do detailing classes in NJ? in Piscataway?
        there is a standby list but its long. i would love to attend a class, how much do they cost?

also, pepboys only sells the mild meguiars products. is there somewhere i can buy 80 & 83 locally or do i have to order from meguiars?

thanks so much for being so generous to donate your time to answer so many posts on this site, your a big help.

Mike M.
        NJ Turnpike Exit 8A

Comment

You will probably want to browse the dealer locator, for the carriers of the professional products. They can tend to be found at some smaller, auto body and paint type stores.

Hard paint could take a pass or two of #83, but shouldnt take too long to do its best. Obviously the nicks down to the primer will be a problem, and cant be solved by the meguiars products.

The the #80 will add a nice refinement to the results of the #83.

Since the #83 and #80 are both cleaner/polishes, you may find you dont need the #7. But if it looks even better to your eye, then, then use it as well. Or #83, and #7, or whatever looks best to you.

You may find yourself using #83, #80, #7 the first time or two to get the best results, but since you are maintaining the finish, just the #80, and #7 may be enough once you get the desired results.
          Last edited by Murr1525; Apr 12, 2005, 09:59 PM.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');