• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm done detailing. Forget it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm done detailing. Forget it.

Brand new black 2012 Golf. Just got it last wednesday. The monkeys at the dealer did wash it because I was too focused on numbers to remind them not to.

I do everything the right way. High quality cloths, 2 bucket method, P21s shampoo, all that. Today I was testing out the "Shmitt" mitt, as well as giving the Golf its very first wash. Everything turned out horrible. I guess I've done hundreds of dollars of damage to the paint because I'm not going to take the swirls out. I'll just give up and pay a detailer.

For those wondering, looks like the Shmitt was a waste of money. I'll just keep buying good ol Meguiars MF mitts, if I wash it ever again. This is my first black car and I know they are harder but damn I just am not up to this.

Just venting. Didn't help that it was 150 degrees outside either.
    2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus in Barcelona Red Metallic

Re: I'm done detailing. Forget it.

Your biggest problem is the heat. Take some pictures of the problem(s) and go into the air conditioning and sit at your computer and load those photos onto MOL.

Many folks here to help, although there is nothing we can do about the accursed heat.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

There is a good chance that all the damage was done at the dealership if they detailed it, and the glaze they used when they "reconditioned" your brand new car just hid the swirls until you washed away the glaze.

Comment

Good advice. I'll take some pics in a little bit. At work now.

Yes the heat probably makes it much harder. I live in an apt complex and there is a wooden slat-ted? covered area with a hose. I have to bring my own nozzle.

After my frustration, I drove the car to a trusted professional detailer. He looked it over and explained that new German paint like on my VW and new BMW's is very, very soft. He said the dealer has its monkeys power wash and "wash" the cars with who knows what every morning.

Anyway the pro is going to fix the swirls and put 2 coats of wax on. This is what he recommends 1x/yr to keep the car easier to clean.

I don't have a good place to wash the car and the heat is unbearable and the paint requires more upkeep than I'm used to. It was just a combination of things that made for a bad experience today. And my detailer said the wash mitt is just a gimmick.

Comment

Originally posted by CHzo6 View Post
          There is a good chance that all the damage was done at the dealership if they detailed it, and the glaze they used when they "reconditioned" your brand new car just hid the swirls until you washed away the glaze.
          100%..................Dealers use heavy glazes, you just washed them away. Don't get discouraged.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
          "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Originally posted by Agent 99 View Post
            After my frustration, I drove the car to a trusted professional detailer. He looked it over and explained that new German paint like on my VW and new BMW's is very, very soft. He said the dealer has its monkeys power wash and "wash" the cars with who knows what every morning.
            How did he come to this conclusion? My 335 has rock hard paint. I know several people with BMW's, VW's and Mercedes and none of them have soft paint. You cannot flat out make that statement.

Comment

^^ Agree with this. As mentioned, don't be discouraged. Keep washing your car with care (as you have been) once you get her back from the detailer plus UQW after every other wash + a quick coat of wax every 3 months or so and you'll be good to go.

If any paint defects do arise, you can get plenty of advice on how to correct them here and it won't be hard to do yourself.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

True, from what I've seen and heard, BMW's and VW's usually have hard paint..
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

How did he come to this conclusion? My 335 has rock hard paint. I know several people with BMW's, VW's and Mercedes and none of them have soft paint. You cannot flat out make that statement.
                  I hear you man. I'm just saying thats what the guy told me. Maybe he means 2011/2012 models?

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                  True, from what I've seen and heard, BMW's and VW's usually have hard paint..
                  Yeah thats what I always heard too. Hard paint. Either the monkeys at the dealer used bricks to wash the car... or, I inflicted some of that damage using all I know ( 2 bucket, new mitt, p21s, etc).

CAR IS 5 days old. Was built in 3/12 though.

From 10 feet away. Not bad huh?

Comment

My 335 is a 2011.

Comment

Updated w/pics

Comment

Nice looking car. I don't think you would have caused all the marring washing it one time. If you have a dual action polisher I would do the work yourself. Save money and get some good experience on your car so you know how it reacts in the future.

Comment

Nice looking car. I don't think you would have caused all the marring washing it one time. If you have a dual action polisher I would do the work yourself. Save money and get some good experience on your car so you know how it reacts in the future.
                          Right. Thanks.

This paint seems pretty sensitive so I may never get to the point where I feel comfortable using a machine on it.

We'll see.

Comment

Most dealerships have an outside company who will come out and "wash" their lot cars at least once a week. We all know what kind of damage this will create, especially on a black car. During delivery prep they may have thrown a coat of "wax" on it for you. When you got it home and washed it yourself, all you did is uncover what was hidden. Take this time to go over it yourself and make it look the best you can. Please, do not throw in the towel.

Comment

Originally posted by mswerb View Post
                              Most dealerships have an outside company who will come out and "wash" their lot cars at least once a week. We all know what kind of damage this will create, especially on a black car. During delivery prep they may have thrown a coat of "wax" on it for you. When you got it home and washed it yourself, all you did is uncover what was hidden. Take this time to go over it yourself and make it look the best you can. Please, do not throw in the towel.
                              You're right because when I took delivery the car looked great. Even to my eye.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');