• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcing NXT iNtense eXtreme Training 9-22 & 23-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing NXT iNtense eXtreme Training 9-22 & 23-2012

The 3rd NXT iNtense eXtreme Training event is SCHEDULED for
    Saturday, September 22nd and Sunday, September 23rd, 2012!

*** UPDATE: 8-25-2012 ***

Here's the latest information on the class. We've decided to schedule TWO separate classes, as Saturday's class has nearly sold out! Since NXT is such a difficult event to pull together (time, venue, Instructors, etc.), it made sense to do this. Judging by the list of guys slated to attend already, we believe that NXT offers tremendous VALUE and OPPORTUNITY for beginners and experts alike.

The 1st NXT Class is slated for Saturday, September 22nd, 2012.
    The 2nd NXT Class is slated for Sunday, September 23rd, 2012.

These are daylong events, scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. and continue on into the evening. More on the after-hours networking session in the next update. Entry fee for either NXT Class is $595.00, which includes lunch, beverages, and a kit of products with a retail value of $500.00 (including tax).

"Is NXT for beginners, or experts?" It's for BOTH!

While it is probably best that a person planning to attend NXT have at least some experience in the realm of sanding or polishing automotive paint, by no means is it a requirement. The teaching format of NXT blends classroom-style information sharing with a hands-on approach. In short, learning is easy! You'll leave the class with an understanding of why things work the way they do, and retain the information longer.

Throughout the day, our instructors will discuss the theory behind proper sanding and polishing techniques. While the information is still fresh, you'll immediately spend time working under the watchful eye of some of the best in the industry! We'll guide you through various sanding and polishing processes, all the while making adjustments to your technique, and explain why these adjustment must be made.

Additionally, you'll watch us guide your classmates along their learning path, making needed recommendations & adjustments along the way. This four-prong approach to learning is very effective, and loads of fun (1. Discuss the process; 2. Observe the process; 3. Implement the process; 4. Summarize what you've learned.)

It is in this segment that beginners and weekend warriors will observe the various expert-level attendees work their magic. Keep a keen-eye open, because you'll learn the finer points of high-level paint restoration as our instructors fine-tune the techniques of some of the BEST paint restoration guys in the USA. This promises to be a real BLAST to SEE!

"What subject matter will NXT encompass?"
    We will discuss a wide variety of topics, some of which are listed below.

First and foremost, NXT will focus on teaching you the basics of sanding and polishing automotive paint.

[B]We'll discuss, demonstrate, and instruct you on the basics of Paint Sanding via hand and machine, which will allow you to safely and confidently:
    • Minimize or eliminate paint surface imperfections (such as embedded dirt nibs, fisheye craters, paint sags and runs)
    • Minimize or eliminate below-surface paint defects (such as scratches)
    • Minimize or eliminate paint texture (such as orange peel)
    We'll discuss, demonstrate, and instruct you on the basics of Machine Polishing, using the following categories of machines:
    • Rotary
    • Random Orbital
    • Forced Rotation Orbital
    • Dual Mode (various combinations of the above listed machines)
    This segment of the class promises to be very exciting, as it is critical that you understand what is happeningduring the polishing process so that you are able to quickly and efficiently make adjustments to your techniquewhile you work. You'll learn how parameters such as machine speed, backing plate rotation, and applied pressure can change the dynamics of what is taking place between the buffing pad and paint surface.

We'll delve into the subject of buffing pads and discs, explaining the features and benefits of the various materials used to make them. You'll also learn how a pad's design can affect its overall performance. Did you realize that increasing the diameter of a pad from 3" to 4" increases the measured surface area of the pad by over 75%? If you answered yes to that question, did you also realize that depending upon a pad's design, a 3" diameter pad of one design could actually plant more of its material against the paint surface, compared to a 4" diameter pad of a mildly different design? Do you understand what I'm getting at? There's a lot more to pad design than meets the eye.

The information shared in this segment will teach you to quickly analyze pads and discs, enabling you to get a very good sense of what to expect prior to polishing. For me, this is one of the most interesting and misunderstood areas of paint polishing, so we'll work hard to clear things up.

The list of topics goes on, and we're prepared to discuss them at length.

*** UPDATE: THIS JUST IN FROM JASON ROSE: ***

As posted on meguiarsonline: "Special guest announcement!

We have a special Saturday Lunch Guest, for what it is already turning out to be a remarkable training event.Brent Dunning, Meguiar's Chemist, will be showing up for a Q&A session on Sept 22, at the Meguiar's Training Center, NXT Class. This is an incredible opportunity for participants to interact with and ask questions of one of our key people on the Meguiar's Global R&D and Product Development Team. Brent was instrumental and a key formulator for several of our most popular compounds and polishes. If you are already registered for this event... this is an unexpected extra treat for you! If you are not registered but are considering attending, this is another compelling reason to sign up. This is a truly rare opportunity to rub shoulders with a Meguiar's Chemist. Looking forward to seeing you there!"

Stay tuned, as I'll be adding more information about NXT very soon.
    Next up: A bit about our NXT Instructors & Assistants, and after-hours play time at Meguiar's!

*** UPDATE: 8-28-2102 ... SATURDAY CLASS IS FULL ***

Just started signing up students for Sunday... THANKS!!!!

Kevin Brown
    www.buffdaddy.com
    (805) 478-1658 cell
    iamwaxman@aol.com
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Re: Announcing NXT iNtense eXtreme Training 9-22-2012

Reserved for info updates... coming soon!
    Kevin Brown

Comment

How exciting!

Comment

I'm in email me info asap

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Subscribed to get more info!
          Andy W.
          Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
          Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

For those of you that haven't ever heard of the NXT class, it was originally designated the NXTti (iNtense eXtreme Training tech institute).

There have been two events:
            In 2004, the 1st NXTti was held at the Chandler Vintage Museum of Transportation and Wildlife in Oxnard, CA.
            In 2005, the 2nd NXTti was held at the Nethercutt Collection & Museum in Sylmar, CA.

There were write-ups about the daylong events:

Two Thumbs UP!! -- Meguiar's NXT Tech Institute

Meguiar's NXT Tech Institute II -- These Guys Are CRAZY!!
            Kevin Brown

Comment

Here's some shots and commentary by Joe of Superior Shine, and Mike Phillips.

2004 NXTti Oxnard CA
              Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
              Today I attended Meguiar's NXT Tech Institute.
              The class was held at the Vintage Museum in Oxnard which has a very impressive collection of classic and muscle cars as well as vintage motorcycles.

There were many rare and very low mile vehicles there!!

There was also quite a collection of stuffed wild game.
              I asked Mike Phillips if he would take a picture of me riding a lion, he said NO! BUMMER!

An area toward the rear of the building was set up to hold the class. Tables were arranged in a U-shape pattern with a screen in the center. The tables were draped in black with the Meguiars logo on them. They had an assortment of hood and trunk panels as well as painted cookie sheets (yes I said COOKIE SHEETS) to practice sanding and polishing on. Actually, the idea of painting the back of cookie sheets is pretty clever but somebody's wife is going to be MAD!

Our fast paced instruction started with a slide show of basic instruction on types of detailing, surface evaluation and polishing procedures among other things.

Then we were shown how to machine color sand with the Mirka system by Jesse Castillo. His instruction was very thorough but very easy to understand. After a demonstration on how to properly use the equipment, we were able to practice using it ourselves.

We were separated into two groups.
              One group went to the the machine sanding area and the other went to the hand sanding area.

The students were encouraged to "go for it", and go for it we did!

Here is Mike Phillips and Kevin Brown at the hand sanding station. You better sand correctly or Kevin Brown will make you do it over and over again. Practice makes perfect and if you do it the way these guys show you, you've got it made!

The cue for us to switch stations came by the way of club music booming from Mike Pennington's Meguiars show suburban (Mike the show off. OK I will admit, it I'M JEALOUS).

After lunch we got instruction on the proper use of the rotary then we were turned loose on the various practice panels we sanded earlier. Again we were split into teams and one team was shown how to polish using foam pads and the other learned how to with wool pads.

Here Kevin Brown instructs a student on the finer points of polishing difficult to polish areas.
              Notice the blue tape over the moldings to protect them from the buff pad.

Here Mike Phillips makes sure a student know how to work the buffer.
              I bet Mike recites Meguiars buffing procedures in his sleep!!

Look at Kevin. If you think poor buffing technique is getting by him your wrong!

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Jason Rose demonstrating good technique with the rotary buffer and a wool cutting pad...

Mike
              Here's Bob trying his hand with the Mirka sander,

Bob is an Instructor for the Automotive Technology department at San Luis Obispo County Community College.

Mike
              Here's Jim aka "Jimmy Buffit" - buffing it!

Mike
              Here's Joe doing a little sanding,

Mike
              Mike Pennington watching George for technique,

Mike
              Here's Jim trying out the Mirka sanding system as Larry watches...

Mike
              Here's Dave trying out the rotary buffer as Kevin watches his pad against the finish,

Mike
              Here's Dave and Luciano both hitting the hood with the rotary buffer, with Larry in the back left and Gary from D & R MotorSports looking on...

Mike
              The Vintage Museum proved to be an awesome setting for our classroom, it gave the entire event a car crazy atmosphere,

Mike
              Here's Jessie at the Mirka Work Station ready to go!

Needless to say, Jessie's booth was very popular with everyone this day,

Mike
              Here's Jason Rose helping Bill by showing him the correct technique for wet sanding by hand.

Mike
              Here's two students doing some hand wet sanding while Dave Pedre, a Meguiar's Sales Manager from Florida watches, (back, left)

Mike
              Kevin Brown showing how to buff the hard parts like the A-pillar on a car,

Mike

2005 NXTti Sylmar CA:

Meguiar's second NXT Tech Institute!

I had the opportunity to attend Meguiar's second NXT Tech Institute! In September I attended the first ever NXT class and I would never have believed that you could have taken something great and make it even better, but that is exactly what these guys did. The first difference from the first class was the change of location. This time the class was held at the impressive Nethercutt Collection Museum in Sylmar.

The NXT Tech class is designed as a traveling class and it was executed as smoothly as the first.

The second change was the NXT instructors. Jason Rose and Kevin Brown made a return but new to this class were Rod Craft and Jeff Brown from Meguiars and Mark Willie from Mirka. These guys are just as passionate about shine as any instructor ever to have had taught the NXT class.

After the classroom instruction we were turned loose in to one of the (if not the) cleanest shop I have ever seen.
              Various hoods and painted panels were set up for students to sand polish and wax on.

We had an assortment of specialized tools to play with which included the rotory buffer, G100 dual action polisher, Mirka bull dog sander.

Here Jeff explains proper HAND sanding.

Here Mark explains proper MACHINE sanding.

Some more explaination from Kevin --

And then it was time to buff---

And buff and buff ----

At class end there was an assortment of Meguiars products to purchase.

After over 20 years of color-sanding and polishing experience and as a student of the first NXT class, I still found this class very informative. Special thanks to Kevin and Jason for allowing me to attend.
              Kevin Brown

Comment

Im also interested in this course can you pm me more info please
                If you like my work please like my FB page
                https://www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc

Comment

interested Please PM me with more info.

Comment

Special guest annoucement!

We have a special lunch guest for what it is already turning out to be a remarkable training event!

Brent Dunning, Meguiar's Chemist, will be showing up for a Q&A lunch session on Sept 22, Saturday, Meguiar's Training Center.

This is an incredible opportunity for participants to interact and ask questions with one of our key people on the Meguiar's Global R&D and Product Development Team. Brent was instrumental and a key formulator for several of our most popular compounds and polishes.

If you are already registered for this event...unexpected extra treat for you!

If you are not registered and thinking about it...this is another compelling reason! This is a rare opportunity to rub shoulders with a Meguiar's Chemist.

Looking forward to seeing you there next month...

Comment

interested.Please pm me with more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Psynx View Post
                        Im also interested in this course can you pm me more info please
                        Originally posted by kenji815 View Post
                        interested Please PM me with more info.
                        Originally posted by stanza man View Post
                        interested.Please pm me with more info.
                        D'OH! Sorry for not seeing this sooner... I am not getting post updates for some reason. I've PM'd you all. Any others interested in chatting with me about this fantastic NXT Class... PLEASE e-mail, text, or call me directly. Thanks!

e-mail: iamwaxman@aol.com
                        phone & text: (805) 478-1658

Lots of discussion on my Facebook page as well.
                        Two threads going about NXT, plus discussions about sanding, polishing, machines:

Kevin Brown is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Kevin Brown and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.
                        Kevin Brown

Comment

There is a nice thread about NXT on autopia.org: 2012 NXT Classes
                          Kevin Brown

Comment

*** UPDATE: 8-25-2012 ***

Here's the latest information on the class. We've decided to schedule TWO separate classes, as Saturday's class has nearly sold out! Since NXT is such a difficult event to pull together (time, venue, Instructors, etc.), it made sense to do this. Judging by the list of guys slated to attend already, we believe that NXT offers tremendous VALUE and OPPORTUNITY for beginners and experts alike.

The 1st NXT Class is slated for Saturday, September 22nd, 2012.
                            The 2nd NXT Class is slated for Sunday, September 23rd, 2012.

These are daylong events, scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. and continue on into the evening. More on the after-hours networking session in the next update. Entry fee for either NXT Class is $595.00, which includes lunch, beverages, and a kit of products with a retail value of $500.00 (including tax).

"Is NXT for beginners, or experts?" It's for BOTH!

While it is probably best that a person planning to attend NXT have at least some experience in the realm of sanding or polishing automotive paint, by no means is it a requirement. The teaching format of NXT blends classroom-style information sharing with a hands-on approach. In short, learning is easy! You'll leave the class with an understanding of why things work the way they do, and retain the information longer.

Throughout the day, our instructors will discuss the theory behind proper sanding and polishing techniques. While the information is still fresh, you'll immediately spend time working under the watchful eye of some of the best in the industry! We'll guide you through various sanding and polishing processes, all the while making adjustments to your technique, and explain why these adjustment must be made.

Additionally, you'll watch us guide your classmates along their learning path, making needed recommendations & adjustments along the way. This four-prong approach to learning is very effective, and loads of fun (1. Discuss the process; 2. Observe the process; 3. Implement the process; 4. Summarize what you've learned.)

It is in this segment that beginners and weekend warriors will observe the various expert-level attendees work their magic. Keep a keen-eye open, because you'll learn the finer points of high-level paint restoration as our instructors fine-tune the techniques of some of the BEST paint restoration guys in the USA. This promises to be a real BLAST to SEE!

"What subject matter will NXT encompass?"
                            We will discuss a wide variety of topics, some of which are listed below.

First and foremost, NXT will focus on teaching you the basics of sanding and polishing automotive paint.

[B]We'll discuss, demonstrate, and instruct you on the basics of Paint Sanding via hand and machine, which will allow you to safely and confidently:
                            • Minimize or eliminate paint surface imperfections (such as embedded dirt nibs, fisheye craters, paint sags and runs)
                            • Minimize or eliminate below-surface paint defects (such as scratches)
                            • Minimize or eliminate paint texture (such as orange peel)

We'll discuss, demonstrate, and instruct you on the basics of Machine Polishing, using the following categories of machines:
                            • Rotary
                            • Random Orbital
                            • Forced Rotation Orbital
                            • Dual Mode (various combinations of the above listed machines)

This segment of the class promises to be very exciting, as it is critical that you understand what is happeningduring the polishing process so that you are able to quickly and efficiently make adjustments to your techniquewhile you work. You'll learn how parameters such as machine speed, backing plate rotation, and applied pressure can change the dynamics of what is taking place between the buffing pad and paint surface.

We'll delve into the subject of buffing pads and discs, explaining the features and benefits of the various materials used to make them. You'll also learn how a pad's design can affect its overall performance. Did you realize that increasing the diameter of a pad from 3" to 4" increases the measured surface area of the pad by over 75%? If you answered yes to that question, did you also realize that depending upon a pad's design, a 3" diameter pad of one design could actually plant more of its material against the paint surface, compared to a 4" diameter pad of a mildly different design? Do you understand what I'm getting at? There's a lot more to pad design than meets the eye.

The information shared in this segment will teach you to quickly analyze pads and discs, enabling you to get a very good sense of what to expect prior to polishing. For me, this is one of the most interesting and misunderstood areas of paint polishing, so we'll work hard to clear things up.

The list of topics goes on, and we're prepared to discuss them at length.

*** UPDATE: THIS JUST IN FROM JASON ROSE: ***

As posted on meguiarsonline: "Special guest announcement!

We have a special Saturday Lunch Guest, for what it is already turning out to be a remarkable training event.Brent Dunning, Meguiar's Chemist, will be showing up for a Q&A session on Sept 22, at the Meguiar's Training Center, NXT Class. This is an incredible opportunity for participants to interact with and ask questions of one of our key people on the Meguiar's Global R&D and Product Development Team. Brent was instrumental and a key formulator for several of our most popular compounds and polishes. If you are already registered for this event... this is an unexpected extra treat for you! If you are not registered but are considering attending, this is another compelling reason to sign up. This is a truly rare opportunity to rub shoulders with a Meguiar's Chemist. Looking forward to seeing you there!"

Stay tuned, as I'll be adding more information about NXT very soon.
                            Next up: A bit about our NXT Instructors & Assistants, and after-hours play time at Meguiar's!

*** UPDATE: 8-28-2102 ... SATURDAY CLASS IS FULL ***

Just started signing up students for Sunday... THANKS!!!!

Kevin Brown
                            www.buffdaddy.com
                            (805) 478-1658 cell
                            iamwaxman@aol.com
                            Kevin Brown

Comment

*** UPDATE: SATURDAY'S NXT CLASS IS FULL! ***

Thanks to those that are headed our way.

Forging ahead to fill Sunday's class... please contact me if you have any questions regarding this class.

e-mail: iamwaxman@aol.com
                              phone: (805) 478-1658
                              Kevin Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');