• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome Plated Plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Plated Plastic

I'm going over all of the painted surfaces of my car with Ultimate Compound followed by Ultimate Polish, and finally Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax. In doing this I'm obviously taping off all of the non-painted parts of the car.

Last night when I was removing the painter's tape, and inspecting my work with a Brinkmann Xenon, I noticed that there are some light swirls in the Chrome plated plastic trim that runs the length of the trunk lid of my car, and I'd like to know if it's possible to get rid of these. I'm talking about a chrome strip about 1" wide that runs between the two tail lights.

Clearly this isn't real chrome, so a metal polish is out of the question. The question therefore is... what could you say this material is? and is there a Meguiars (or other brand) of product to polish out swirls?

Neil.
    2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport / Midnight Black Pearl Exterior / Ivory & Charcoal Interior
    2007 Honda Element SC / Nighthawk Black Pearl Exterior / Copper & Black Interior

Re: Chrome Plated Plastic

It's chrome plated plastic and there is no fix.

Tom

Comment

You can try some cleaner/wax, like A-12 and GENTLY apply with a foam pad (by hand), even try some just on your finger tip. The plating is super thin, so be GENTLE.

Did I mention, be gentle on that stuff?

Bill

Comment

I think the only true fix is to replace the piece. (Junk yard maybe?) Depending on how minor or light the scratches are, the best to hope for would to apply something like #9 Swrirl Remover with its fillers. (long shot at best) , then use a "fillered" wax like NXT.

Any type of abrasive polish will likely remove more of the thin shiney layer.

Respectfully submitted,
        BINGO52

Comment

You can't polish chrome, and it is real chrome

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I've had success on similar trim using M105. Had light swirls and a couple of deeper scratches thanks to a dealer... Cleared them right up, and not just filled in, they were removed.

I've found that 'similar' trim pieces vary from manufacturer to manufacturer with regard to being prone to marking however I have seen excellent results. Ultimate compound should work if M105 did.

If you're worried, try a small test area first.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');