• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat turns white when wet, clear after drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat turns white when wet, clear after drying

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a 95 range rover with only 15K miles. It looks new but apparently somewhere along the line it was resprayed or recleared according to the previous owner, details were spotty. Anyway, when I washed the car last week a bunch of milky white spots appeared, they look like old water spots but when the car dried they disappeared. I went over the whole car with Ultimate Compound using a Porter Cable and then applied Synthetic Sealant. Today I washed the car again and the spots were back and then disappeared just like before. When the spots first appeared I rubbed at one pretty good and when it dried there were scratches making me think the clear is pretty soft. I'm wondering if the clear is failing, if so how long it will last? If I need to respray the clear does the entire clear layer have to be sanded off first, it even spots in the door jams. Anyone else experience this with a range rover, it's even spotting in places that I think they would have masked for a respray so I'm wondering if this is normal for even factory paint?

Thanks!

Re: Clear coat turns white when wet, clear after drying

Hi,
    Hard to say without pics. Could be the beginnings of clear failure but the door jams probably wouldn't be affected if that was the case. What I can say is that Range Rovers can be a bit ropey on the quality side at the best of times and paint from that era (95) will be starting to show its age now unless looked after fastidiously - even with low mielage, which may explain the respray. Get some pics up if you can and someone will be able to tell you what you are dealing with

Comment

Hmm.....is the vehicle a salvaged title by chance?

Comment

Clear title with maintenance/recall history. It was just used rarely.

Comment

will try to recreate the issue and snap some pics tomorrow.

Comment

It sounds like you got a great deal. Even if the paint is questionable, 15K and barely used. Take care of it and if you have to repaint it ...big deal.

Comment

Definitely happy with the purchase and would be willing to respray if necessary, just trying to figure out what I'm looking at, and if it does need a respray if I need to sand this celar layer completely off first to correct the issue. Really strange, looks perfect after drying and sitting for a bit. I washed and took some photos yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by invstor17 View Post
                Really strange, looks perfect after drying and sitting for a bit.
                Definitely could be clear coat failure but I'm used to seeing the clear coat staying white and not recovering after drying.

From what you've described, it sounds like the clear coat has poor water resistance. I've seen clear coat paints (used on furniture) have similar problems - when wet it becomes foggy but becomes clear after it dries for a period of time.

A wild guess - maybe the repaint was done with incorrectly mixed clear coat or poor quality clear coat.

Any additional info on the repaint?
                Andy W.
                Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Unfortunately no addl. info on the repaint. It was owned by a celeb and getting any details from the go betweens was like pulling teeth

If anyone else has experienced this on their own car I'd be interested to hear if it stayed the same over time or if the clear began to fail while dry eventually.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't have any ideas, but I do have a question...Are the 'white spots' always in the same location or do they move around?

Bill

Comment

Good question,

I think they move around, the two lines in the second photo for instance appeared where the water was running down from the window while I washed the car, white spots appear in the door jam where the water droplets sit.

Thanks!

Comment

Good question,

I think they move around, the two lines in the second photo for instance appeared where the water was running down from the window while I washed the car, white spots appear in the door jam where the water droplets sit.

Thanks!
                        Could be a bit of a clue in what your saying there in that the defects in question seem to follow the the natural run and pooling of water down the panels?
                        Couldn't say for sure or what might cause it but maybe some chemical was used or spilt (maybe not spilt if it affects the whole car) on the car/paint that has altered the finish in some way? As an example I spilt some undiluted APC on a stainless steel bench at home once. When dry there seems to be white marks (like dropletts/runs) on the bench. Wipe the marks with a wet cloth and they dissappear completely, until the bench dries and they reappear. I can't shift them, grumpy Mrs, etc etc. I know it's the reverse of what you have going on but maybe a similar process has occured?
                        As to what can be done? I'm just not sure sorry. I think it probably needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated so maybe swing by a detailer or body shop and wet down a panel to show them?

Best of luck

Stephen

Comment

Stephen,

I think you're on to something there. I know exactally what you mean.

Bill

Comment

If anyone else has experienced this on their own car I'd be interested to hear if it stayed the same over time or if the clear began to fail while dry eventually.

Thanks!
                            I have the same thing happening on my car, and it's an 04 bought new and maintained really well. Been quite stumped as to why, I get the same milky patches when it's very humid and it rains (patches are shaped like rain-road debris). I have them all over the door and trunk shuts, where water/ moisture seems to collect. I've been told it's due to the newer water-based paint mix, plus I guess other factors in the manufacturing, etc. It definitely ***** as the clear rubs off so easily when it's that way.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');