• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real confused

This is all new to me and need help.

We have two cars that need a lot of work.

-2006 Lexus that we bought used 3 years ago. Since we purchased it, it has not been polished or waxed. Since June of 2011 it has been parked outside. The paint looks good, but it is not smooth.

-1997 Miata. Polished once a year and occasionally waxed. Parked indoors. Has a lot of swirls in the paint and the surface is not smooth. This car was wrecked. It will get a bumper and engine hood. So there will be a major difference in the looks of these two areas and other areas.

I have used polish and wax thinking they were the same. Now I know they are different and the order they should be used. I know I need to use a clay bar, which I assume is after washing the car and before polishing the car. ??

I will be getting Meguiar's DA polisher for the two detailing projects. However, I am extremely confused as to the different products that should be used with the polisher (not sure if this makes a difference) and the differences in the car's paint conditions.

I am confused and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Real confused

Also what pads should I use for the suggested products.

Note: Both cars are black.

Comment

to MOL!

All these things can get very confusing in the beginning but that's why we're here to help. Hopefully you'll get the hang of things as you read more and use the products on your own car.

Here's basically the steps I will use on both of your cars:
      1. Wash the car using a good car soap: Ultimate Wash & Wax or Gold Class Shampoo
      2. Clay: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
      3. Use a cleaner polish to remove severe swirls, scratches and oxidation: Ultimate Compound via W8207 Softbuff 2.0 Polishing Pad with your G110v2
      4. Use finishing polish to amp up the gloss: Ultimate Polish via W9207 Softbuff 2.0 Finishing Pad with your G110v2
      5. Wax: Ultimate Wax or NXT 2.0 via W9207 Softbuff 2.0 Finishing Pad with your G110v2

You're making a good choice by investing in a good D/A polisher such as the G110v2. It'll make your life a lot easier and you'll achieve better results. You can basically use any polish and wax out there with your D/A polisher. The pad choice can make a difference in your results when everything else is held constant.

For more information on how to properly use a dual action polisher, you need to read this article:
      D/A Buffing 101: An Introduction to the G110v2 (and similar)

You also need to read this article to get yourself acquainted with the proper cycle in the detailing process:
      Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Hope this helps!
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Dang Marc, solid advice.

Grandpa, follow Marc's advice. Thats the best way to put it.
        Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
        2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
        2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Marc said it all!

Welcome to MOL!

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');