• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with product selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with product selection

Hi everyone,

Have just got a 1969 Mini resprayed in 2PAK midnight blue. I have been a long time Meguiar's user but am after some product selection help to ensure this new paint job lasts. I have read up about the 5 step process.

For washing:
    I have been using a sponge (2 sponge method). Should I upgrade to a meguiar's wash mitt or wash pad?
    I have been using a meguiar's soft buff synthetic chamois. Should I upgrade to a meguiar's microwipe super-glide chamois?
    Am about to run out of soft wash gel. Soft wash, gold class wash, NXT or Ultimate wash n wax?

For polishing I have:
    Paint cleaner, clay bar kit, M7, Deep crystal polish, Gold class wax.
    Have been using the yellow applicator pads. Are the white even coat applicator pads better?

Thanks in advance

Re: Help with product selection

First, I would keep any wax from the paint for 30-90 days for that all important curing process.

For car wash, Gold Class or NXT or soft wash gel. It would be a good idea to upgrade to Megs Wash Mitt to minimize any swirls inflicted by using inferior wash pads/sponges.

For polishing, M07 or deep crystal polish. M07 and deep crystal both serve the same purpose, adds shine and depth to paint. After the curing process, you can stick with gold class wax or move up to ultimate wax for even more protection.

As for applicators, there are times when microfiber applicators are better than foam ones, but usually foam applicators are used for most car waxes/polishes. It allows waxes/polishes to be spread thinner and more efficiently. Microfibers do allow a more controlled release of some products and sometimes offer "bite" needed for certain dirt/stains on paint, you can just stick with the yellow foam applicators. I (personally) reserve microfiber applicators for applying interior products such as leather cleaners/conditioners/protectants.

Comment

Originally posted by Cakey View Post
      For washing:
      I have been using a sponge (2 sponge method). Should I upgrade to a meguiar's wash mitt or wash pad?
      It is said that car wash applicators (sponges/mitts) with deeper fibers can trap dirt within the fibers, and are less likely to brush the dirt across the paintwork as you sweep the applicator across the surface. In practice, I just find that a mitt is much easier to handle than a sponge, so you'll get the job done faster. Either way, upgrading to a Meguiar's mitt is a good idea. Since you live in Australia, I suggest the Meguiar's lambswool mitt. It has a deep pile and is long-lasting (mine has probably lasted 100 washes, and still in great condition).

I have been using a meguiar's soft buff synthetic chamois. Should I upgrade to a meguiar's microwipe super-glide chamois?
      They don't sell these in the US, either; instead, they sell a microfiber waffle-weave towel known as a Water Magnet.

I have both the the Soft Buff Synthetic Chamois and the Super-Glide Chamois. The Super-Glide is noticeably better than the Soft Buff for three reasons:

1. You don't have to worry about the Super-Glide drying out and having to soak it before use.
      2. It absorbs water a little better.
      3. It's bigger.

All of this means it helps get the job done faster.

I still use the Soft Buff to mop up water in the door jambs, under the bootlid, chrome exhaust extension and anywhere that might remain a little dirty. I don't always clean those areas free of all dirt, which means the chamois gets a little dirty and I have to rinse it well after use. But the Super-Glide is left for exterior paintwork and remains clean.

Am about to run out of soft wash gel. Soft wash, gold class wash, NXT or Ultimate wash n wax?
      There's different reasons why any of the above would be suitable. But if you are currently using Gold Class wax, you may as well use the Gold Class wash.

I agree with ffboy on use of applicator sponge pads versus Even Coat.

Comment

You also might want to to your arsenal meguiar's quik detailer, the maroon spray (or the original formula) or m34 final inspection,or any quik detailer with none of the hydrophobic polymers for light dust removal. The polymers are very good, offer some protection, but for repainted cars,the polymers may hinder the curing process. Just to be sure.

Comment

And the 2-bucket method, not just two mitts.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ok thanks for the advice. I'm going to get the Lambswool Mitt and a super-glide chamois.

With regards to the car wash if I get the Ultimate wash and wax will it be compatible with the gold class wax? Or should I stay with soft / gold class wash and add the quick detailer or quick wax?

Thanks

Comment

The different product lines can all be used together.

Though something like the Ult. Quick Wax, or even the Gold Class Spray Wax will tend to leave more protection behind than the UW&W would.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');