• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need buffing help - new paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need buffing help - new paint

I finished a repaint on my TR6 project a few months ago but didn't get to buff out (paint is PPG BC/CC) until recently. I'm now finding lots of scratches in the buffed paint, especially on large panels. Looks like surface scratches and swirl marks. Car is dark green so I know it's tough to buff. Not sure what to do to determine if I can buff out or need to re-clear. Here's the details:

Car has about six coats of clear on it. Not sure how aggressive I can be w/buffer given that amount of paint.

Color sanded with 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 unigrit

Buffed with Diamond Cut 2.0, followed by Fine Cut cleaner and Swirl Remover

Using elCheapo rotary buffer - variable speed but not sure if I should go slow or fast on this.

Have been using non-Meguiars pads (foam but not flat). Not sure if flat pads would work better.

Any advice would be appreciated

--GB

There is a lot of technique involved with getting superior results when wet-sanding and then removing your sanding marks.

If you're not getting fine sanding marks like #2500 and #3000 out with Diamond Cut, and whatever your pad is, then I would suggest getting a wool cutting pad and doing a test section. Wool pads are very aggressive at cutting our sanding marks but will leave a swirl in the finish from each of the fibers that make up a wool pad. The solution to this is to re-buff the panels with a foam pad.

If you haven't watched our video then I suggest you start with this first before moving on.

Here's the link,

Watch our how-to video here,

How to remove paint defects

p.s.

Today's my day off so I'll be out in the garage working on my own car but I'll check back in on the forum later.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I'll give it a try this weekend. I think I've tried so many different things in frustration I'm not sure exactly what I'm starting with. I'm inclined to buy a few new pads, and start over.

Video was also helpful. I know I'm guilty of some "ham-handed" buffer tilting so I'll be extra aware of keeping the buffer flat.

Thanks again.

--GB

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');