Wow, what a crazy night we had last night! The place was jammed and we had a lot going on; here are a couple of major projects we helped people out with, giving them the confidence to finish the work on their own later on.
This 2008 Acura has over 100,000 miles on the clock and hasn't been taken care of as well as it should have been. The current owners have only had the car for a couple of months and wanted to see what they could do to freshen it up a bit. It came to us loaded with swirls and rotary holograms.
First up, claying. The paint was pretty rough so we needed to remove the above surface contaminants first.
Who's afraid to use a buffer on their car? OK, we'll show you just how safe, easy and effective it is.
Due to the severed condition of the paint we decided to try two options side by side to see which would yield the best results on this car. On one side, as shown below, we used Ultimate Compound on a foam pad.
On the other side we used the DAMF System.
As it turned out, this situation was sort of a double edged sword. The severe defects really needed the DAMF System to remove them, but the paint was actually fairly delicate so the aggressiveness of the microfiber process created a bit of haze. No worries, we just followed up with some Ultimate Polish on a foam finishing pad to clean things up.
The end result is a huge improvement.
But that was just our test spot, the rest of the hood and other body panels still looked like this:
We let the car owner get comfortable with the process on the rest of the hood, and this is what he accomplished. Not bad at all when you consider that he had never used a buffer before!
Our other major project was this '64 Chevy station wagon wearing a 30 year old single stage respray. To say it was looking a bit tired and oxidized is an understatement.
With the sun low in the sky and the garage full of other cars and people, we decided to clay the hood out in the parking lot. It was totally cool to the touch, so this wasn't a problem at all.
A combination of bonded contaminants and a little bit of the dead paint coming up on the clay.
Since these old single stage paints love products with a lot of polishing oils, we started out with our classic M80 Speed Glaze to test. Well, it turns out we needed a bit more cut, so we stepped up to M83 DACP, and that helped a lot. We then followed with a fairly lavish application of M07 Show Car Glaze, twice, and brought up this level of gloss pretty quickly. How much farther the owner can take this finish is up to him. It's going to take time as there is a lot of surface area on this baby, but the improvements with even this small level of effort were remarkable, to say the least.