• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D163 vs Ultimate Black/Protectant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D163 vs Ultimate Black/Protectant

I've been a Back to Black user for a few years and figured I'd try one of these products in the hopes of them being a little longer lasting. Has anyone compared the two? I'm really only looking to use either on plastic trim.
    From what I know so far:
    Both are a thick liquid (gel/lotion)
    Both dry to the touch
    Cost is about the same per oz.
    Ultimate is water based, not sure about D163.
    D163 can be used on tires or flexible trim, Ultimate is not recommended for this.
    My questions:
    Does one seem to last longer?
    Is there much of a difference in look?
    Any comments on ease of application?

Re: D163 vs Ultimate Black/Protectant

I have used the D163, but not the Ultimate Black. I really like the D163. I have a 2004 F-150 FX4 so I have plastic fender trim around all my wheel wells. I used it on all of that trim, my mirrors, my black window trim, my tonneau cover (it took A LOT on the tonneau), the grille (same plastic as the fender trim), and the tires. It made everything look great! I did take pictures of it all, but I don't know how to post them and I'm a little short on time as well. I lasted fairly well on my tires, even through rain and dirt roads. It doesn't give a super shiny high gloss, which is fine with me. It gave a nice satin look to everything and really "blackened" up all the trim. The D163 is water based which kinda led me to buy that and also the quantity that it comes in. I've read that tire gels that are silicone based can brown your tires and i wanted to avoid that like the plague. If i can figure out how to post my pics I will do that ASAP, but it probably won't be till the end of the weekend. One advantage that the Ult Black may have is the ability to buy it locally at a Wal-Mart or an Auto Zone etc vs buying it online. All in all i really like the D163 though. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');