• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield Wiper Arm Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Wiper Arm Painting

I looked around on the forum and found nothing on this topic. But I was wanting to give a little attention to my wiper arms. They are dull and on one the black paint has come off in a section. My concern is that we pay alot of attention to the shine and protection of the paint(which is important), but non to the lone visible windshield wiper arms. I know that since you read this thread you will take a second glance at them.

But my question is what type of paint do you guys think will adhere better to it. I think taking the arm off the car is better due to overspray. But if anybody have done this please advise.

Re: Windshield Wiper Arm Painting

The set that's on my Camino now was painted with satin black engine paint from the auto parts store. They've held up well, having been done 3-4 years ago, but my Camino's a garage queen. I've seen and heard good things about both Eastwood's Satin Black Engine paint and POR-15 Black-Kote product, but haven't used either. As it is with all paint projects, the results usually reflect the attention to detail in the prep work.

Bill

Comment

Another set of questions in this realm are involved with are you doing this for a long term result or to make something look better on a vehicle you are cleaning up to flip?

Comment

Originally posted by agp56 View Post
        Another set of questions in this realm are involved with are you doing this for a long term result or to make something look better on a vehicle you are cleaning up to flip?
        Long term. Cars are too expensive now a days to flip. Just take care of what you got and it will take care of you.

Comment

Most wiper arms are easily removed and I would recommend painting them off the vehicle. Duplicolor makes spray paint that is suitable and which can be purchased at most any auto supply store. I painted mine a matt black but there are other choices. Short quick bursts while moving the can sideways works best. Try to avoid runs by only applying thin coats. You will need at least two thin coats. Be sure to sand off any rust or loose paint prior to the repaint. For just a few bucks this is a easy fix for those less than perfect wipers. You will need to wait about 30 days prior to apply other treatments to the arms like sealant, wax etc. to allow the paint to fully cure. Good luck this is a very easy project!

Comment

Once you get your wiper arms repainted the easiest way to clean them up in the future is with a steamer. Select the proper nozzle size and keep steam away from rubber. Hot steam even removes a product splatter in no time.

Thanks to Renny Doyle I learned this approach during Detail Fest 2012. It's a time saver and very effective.

Comment

I did my Hondas wiper arms a couple years ago I sand blasted them and painted them satin black it made the car look so much better. They still look good today
              2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
              1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
              1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
              1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
              1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

A word of warning be careful removing them from your car.

On one of my old Peugeots I needed to use an extraction tool. Or risk cracking my screen.

I went to my local windscreen centre and asked if they would remove them.

I sanded mine down. Then for a base coat I used a rust treatment paint that turns black when dry.

Gave it 24hrs followed by a light sanding of 3000 grit.

I then sprayed with a heavy duty metal paint. They looked great 10yrs later.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Last year I was wondering what to do with my wiper arms as well. Not having any paint, but having a bottle of Ultimate Compound, I removed the arms from the car and then the blades from the arms. After I cleaned them, I rubbed some Ultimate Compound on them by hand and the results were great.

Comment

I've repainted numerous wiper arms - I really like SEM Trim Paint (satin finish) because it is easy to apply, leaves an even appearance, and is very durable.

I remove the wiper arms from the car, wash them, bead blast or sand them, wash them again, and then paint with SEM Trim Paint.
                    Andy W.
                    Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                    Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');