• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6" MF kit backing plate, what foam pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" MF kit backing plate, what foam pads?

Hi All,

I have the 6" blacking plate that came with my DA MF kit. I need some foam pads for normal use to apply a good polish and than a sealant. Not looking to spend anymore money for another backing. I have a Porter Cable 7424xp. What pads from megs can I use? and do all pads have a velcro backing?

Re: 6" MF kit backing plate, what foam pads?

How many pads you planning on getting? 6.5" pads which would fit your backing plate are sold at $50 for a pack of 6; 5.5" pads, for which you'd need a new backing plate, are $35 for a six-pack. That $15 difference will cover the cost of a new backing plate, so if you're getting more six or more pads, it makes sense economically to go with 5.5" ones. (These are for Lake Country or Buff and Shine pads - Meguiar's foam pads are more expensive, and don't come in a 5.5".)
    Francis

Comment

Either the 6.5" Softbuff or the 7" Softbuff 2.0 pads should work for you. Here are the pads available:

W8207 7" Softbuff 2.0 Polishing Pad
      W9207 7" Softbuff 2.0 Finishing Pad
      W8006 6.5 Softbuff Polishing Pad
      W9006 6.5" Softbuff Finishing Pad

I think that the S6BP will be close to the edge of the 6.5" pads. If it's very close then you need to be very careful. The specified BP should give you a lot of room for the 7" pads. Although the best backing plate for the 7" Softbuff 2.0 pads is the W68DA BP.
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I'm pretty sure the DA MF backing plate uses a different hook and loop velcro system to that used on standard Soft Buff pads. I think the DA MF plate has a longer hook and loop for heat reduction. Thats not to say Soft Buff pads won't stick as well but may be worth checking out.

Comment

Do a quickie 'search' for 'backing plates'...Michael Stoops wrote a definitive article about them.

I tried to copy/paste a link, but didn't work.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
            Do a quickie 'search' for 'backing plates'...Michael Stoops wrote a definitive article about them.

I tried to copy/paste a link, but didn't work.

Bill
            Backing Plates: More Than Just A Way To Stick A Pad To A Buffer
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Thanks everybody.I decided to only use that backing plate for finishing. I will be apply final sealant with a Lake Country 6.5 Jewelling pad with the s6bp plate. Also picked up a 3.5 backing plate with a smaller 4 inch cutting pad to do the body kit, lets see how the ultimate compound will take care of some deep scratches.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');