• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Buffalo

I've been scouring these forums the last 4 days or so, as i'm searching for detailing advice. I'm a noob in the utmost degree. Never heard of claying before, thought waxing and polishing were the same thing (not that I ever polished or waxed my previous car). My first car was an 03 Civic, but I just traded her in and bought a black 2011 Optima EX-T. My goal is to not repeat my ignorance and to properly take care of this car inside and out.

I've noticed the hood has some very fine swirl marks and light light scratches that you can only see in the sun. So my plan is to:

Wash
    Clay
    SwirlX
    Deep crystal polish
    NXT2.0

Re: Greetings from Buffalo

What are you applying/removing the products with?

As far as your plan, you may find SwirlX is enough for your swirls, or you may need something stronger. Hard to say.

But I am thinking that since you havent done a lot of detailing in the past, you may want to try to keep things simple, at least at first, so it stays enjoyable and easy for you. Its better to do something simple more often, than something complicated once a year.

1. Wash - Gold Class soap, 2 buckets, Grit Guards.. good quality mitt/towels.
    2. Clay if needed - if you havent clayed before, its needed. Then judge in the future.
    3. ColorX
    4. Wax - Nxt 2.0

is a great simple detail, with easy to use products. It also covers all the steps.

You could use your SwirlX, or something stronger like ScratchX 2.0/UC, and then just ColorX and Wax everything.

Of course you can do a full detail as well... just dont want you to get burned out, and not feel like doing it again.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      What are you applying/removing the products with?

As far as your plan, you may find SwirlX is enough for your swirls, or you may need something stronger. Hard to say.

But I am thinking that since you havent done a lot of detailing in the past, you may want to try to keep things simple, at least at first, so it stays enjoyable and easy for you. Its better to do something simple more often, than something complicated once a year.

1. Wash - Gold Class soap, 2 buckets, Grit Guards.. good quality mitt/towels.
      2. Clay if needed - if you havent clayed before, its needed. Then judge in the future.
      3. ColorX
      4. Wax - Nxt 2.0

is a great simple detail, with easy to use products. It also covers all the steps.

You could use your SwirlX, or something stronger like ScratchX 2.0/UC, and then just ColorX and Wax everything.

Of course you can do a full detail as well... just dont want you to get burned out, and not feel like doing it again.

1. For washing I'm going to use the Microfiber Wash Mitt to wash and the Water Magnet Towel to dry. For applying polish/wax/etc I'm going to use foam applicator pads, and for removal I'll use Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels.

2. That's probably a good idea. Going all-out right away will probably only lead to some mistakes and frustration. I'll give that detail a try and progress from there.

I can't believe how much I did not know when it came to taking care of a car's surface. This forum is awesome and thanks for your help!

Comment

1. I would tend to buy the 3-pack of Water Magnets.

2. Not so much mistakes/frustration, the products are pretty straigt forward, and a couple smears dont matter. More so the time/effort.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');