• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with product selection please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with product selection please.

I am new here and just purchased a Porter cable 7424xp with a set of lake country pads. Orange, white, blue and gray/black ccs pads.

Now I am so confused over which product to start out with.

Meguiar's seems to be the best price wise as I want to buy 32 oz bottles.
    I used to use a rotary sander/polisher with bonnets but that is a relic I guess which got me to buying the DA unit. Most polishing I have done by hand over the years and the only products I have now are 3m super cut and Meguiar's ultimate polish.

I have a new vehicle that came painted without wax and has swirls from the get go. I was away from town with it and washed it , in what turned out to be hard water. Now there are spots.

I also have a 10 year old white van that is oxidized and could use a good deep cleaning. I have been using the supercut and then the ultimate and it seems to do pretty good on restoring the heavy oxidation.

Now my problem: Sorry for all the questions at once.
    What would you consider the best polishes to get. I have been looking at youtube videos and from what I take from there, I should get a deep swirl remover, lighter swirl remover and a glaze type polish? Is this accurate?
    What numbers of meguiar's should I get to start off with?
    Thanks

Re: Help with product selection please.

I have a new vehicle that came painted without wax and has swirls from the get go. I was away from town with it and washed it , in what turned out to be hard water. Now there are spots.

I also have a 10 year old white van that is oxidized and could use a good deep cleaning. I have been using the supercut and then the ultimate and it seems to do pretty good on restoring the heavy oxidation.
    Doesnt sound too bad.

Now my problem: Sorry for all the questions at once.
    What would you consider the best polishes to get. I have been looking at youtube videos and from what I take from there, I should get a deep swirl remover, lighter swirl remover and a glaze type polish? Is this accurate?
    What numbers of meguiar's should I get to start off with?
    Best to keep it simple at first.

Generally, you would want polishing and finishing pads.

And then you would want a strong cleaner and a mild cleaner.

Really, Ult. Compound would be the best choice for use with the DA. And then you could look at #205 for the mild cleaner/polish, as well as the Ult. Polish you already have.

And then wax for after.

And claying before all this of course...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Is the 105 simular to the 3m super duty or is it a little less aggressive?

so I would hit it with the 205 to get rid of water spots and swirls and then use a softer pad with the ult? Or would the ult be sufficient to pull out all the swirls and spots?

Is the ult the best product for final gloss before wax?

Comment

Like Murr said; Go to your favorite Walmart and get some Ultimate Compound using orange pad. Do one section at the time about 2'x 2'. When done follow up (If needed depending on color of car) use Ultimate Polish (same as 205) with Blue pad and then top it off with your favorite wax using your Blue pad.
        Just my opinion!

Use speed 4 or 5 on your PC and make sure pads ROTATE while working.

Unless you are going PRO stick with Ultimate Compound and Ultimate polish available everywhere including Walmart. Its almost same as 105 and 205

Comment

Is the 105 simular to the 3m super duty or is it a little less aggressive?
          Dont know that one.. #105 is pretty far up there, but not as DA friendly.

so I would hit it with the 205 to get rid of water spots and swirls and then use a softer pad with the ult? Or would the ult be sufficient to pull out all the swirls and spots?
          You can do a test spot with the milder product (#205), and see if it is enough. But it is like with sandpaper, you want to work stronger to milder when actually doing the whole car. So if the UC is needed, you would use that first.

As far as which is needed, no way to really say without trying. But you would want a polishing pad for both products.

Is the ult the best product for final gloss before wax?
          Ult Polish or #205 most likely.

Comment

Check this link out for some great info http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1451986

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
            "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Comment

Since you already have the Ultimate Polish, I'd try it out first with the white LC pad (which is a polishing pad). If that isn't enough, then get some Ultimate Compound and use that with the orange pad (light cutting/compounding). Then, depending on the finish the Ultimate Compound leaves, you might need to step down to Ultimate Polish on white, or even on grey/black (finishing pad).
                Francis

Comment

Thank you all

I have some ult polish left as I have been using it by hand.
                  So I want to place an order for a larger quantity than I can get in wally world which I think means I have to get the 105 and the 205.

I don't have to do a moderate cleaner inbetween the 105 and the205? just follow the 105 with the 205? My 98' van is a bit rough in a few spots but still has good paint. I found a comparison on autogeek with the different brands and it looks like the 3m super duty is rated as next step aggressive than the 105. Not sure I can use the super duty with the da though, I think it's for rotary so I will use that with my old rotary unit for when I really need that level.

Is the 83 sort of in the middle of the 105 and 205?

Another question is about the show car glaze. Is it worth getting?

Comment

Be sure to check on your prices... I think UC works out cheaper sometimes anyway, besides being easier to use.

#83.. ehh.. I guess kind of in the middle, but also a bit different of a product.. wouldnt be something I would worry about.

Unless you had single stage paint on something, I wouldnt really worry about the Show Car Glaze. The #205 will have a good amount of polishing oils, and is designed more for clear coats.

Comment

LOL wow, I paid 12 bucks for UP at walmart the last time in there, and it's way cheaper online. Maybe I'll get a couple bottles more of that and the UC . It would be better cost wise.

Comment

Got some UC at wallyworld for 9 bucks at 16 oz. The UP was 7 at this one. Funny how the prices at walmart vary, I bought the last UP at one that was the only one for miles and they were 12 bucks for the UP.

Now the rain stopped maybe I can get out and try the new toy

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');