• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to detailing... Minor swirl problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to detailing... Minor swirl problem.

Hey everyone,

I have a 2010 Audi A4, so my paint is fairly new... (nonmetallic black paint)
    It has a nice shine to it when clean, however, once the sun hits it, it become evident that I have a swirl mark problem. My main concern is getting rid of these swirls as they are driving me crazy. The catch is I have to detail the car on Friday because I have a show on Saturday. Here is what I currently have:

Gold Class Car Wash
    ScratchX 2.0
    Gold Class Carnauba Plus
    Clay
    Quick Detailer

Now, like I stated, my paint is not that bad at all. The swirls are very minor and can only be seen in direct sunlight. Otherwise, the paint is very shiny/glossy.

I should probably order SwirlX and use that instead of ScratchX 2.0 correct? (I am very worried about doing more harm than good).

Do I need to order some type of polish to use in between the SwilX and wax?

Thanks guys!

Re: New to detailing... Minor swirl problem.

Sorry for the double post! I did not realize that I couldn't edit my post...

I have done some further research, including studying the Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle thread.

I definitely do not want to use ScratchX 2.0 on my car. My swirls are not bad at all, and I am scared to death of making it worse. I am also hesitant to use SwirlX because I don't think it may be necessary. The 5-step cycle says to use a polish between cleaning and waxing. Would the "Ultimate Polish" be ideal? The reviewers on Amazon say that the Ultimate Polish eliminated their swirl marks.

So basically my revised question is, should I use SwirlX?

Comment

Its really hard to say.

The best thing would be to head out to the car, and do a little test spot with the ScratchX 2.0 you have now.

Skill level, application method, the paint itself, the product all affect the ability to remove swirls.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        Its really hard to say.

The best thing would be to head out to the car, and do a little test spot with the ScratchX 2.0 you have now.

Skill level, application method, the paint itself, the product all affect the ability to remove swirls.
        Thank you for your really quick reply!

The car is really dirty right now, so I don't know how I would do a test spot... I was going to do the whole process on Friday, but that does not give me any time to order something if I need it...

It may not seem like it, but I have literally done hours of research on this, and I'm still really confused. So from what you are saying, ScratchX 2.0 is ok to use on the whole car? Do I need to follow up with the Ultimate Polish?

Comment

What Murr1525 means by doing a test spot is limiting your work area in a 2'x2' square and trying different products to see what works and what doesn't. Once you find the products and procedure that works for you in that test spot, you can then duplicate that procedure and use the products that worked for you throughout the entire car. There's no sense in trying a particular product throughout the entire car only to find out that it really didn't dent the defects on your paint.

Also, Meguiar's advocates using the least aggressive method to get the job done. What do you mean by your swirls aren't that bad? Do you have a picture of your paint's surface? One person might consider a paint's condition not that bad but another will pull their hair out when they see that same paint. It's all subjective to an extent. So what you want to do is use the least aggressive method in your test spot and see if it removes your defects. If it does then you're done but if it doesn't then you need to move up in the aggressiveness scale.

You might want to check this thread out: The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products.

Ultimate Polish is not in this scale yet but it's less aggressive than M205 to the right. So what you want to do is use Ultimate Polish first in the 2'x2' area amd see of it removes the defects. If not, you want to step it up to SwirlX and see if you have any improvements. If not then you need to step up to ScratchX 2.0. If it still doesn't work then you need to finally try Ultimate Compound. Once you find the right product that works for you then just use the same product over the entire vehicle.

Following up an aggressive polish with Ultimate Polish really depends. If you're anal and you want the best possible finish then go ahead. It's only necessary when you see hazing in the paint from an aggressive polish. If there's no hazing or micro-marring then you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
          2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Well, if you could wash off a panel, or small spot and try what you have now, you will have an idea of what is possible. Keep in mind it is quite possible that working by hand, you might be able to fix them, you might not. Or need a stronger product. Or who knows. If you want to have time to shop in the morning, I'd make a small clean spot, and try. Even if a little stronger than needed, ScratchX 2.0 wont damage anything. If the swirls seem to go away real easy, or maybe some marring is left behind, you would want a milder product. If you do an application or two (well worked in), and nothing happens, time to move up.

What kind of applicators do you have?

Comment

Well, if you could wash off a panel, or small spot and try what you have now, you will have an idea of what is possible. Keep in mind it is quite possible that working by hand, you might be able to fix them, you might not. Or need a stronger product. Or who knows. If you want to have time to shop in the morning, I'd make a small clean spot, and try. Even if a little stronger than needed, ScratchX 2.0 wont damage anything. If the swirls seem to go away real easy, or maybe some marring is left behind, you would want a milder product. If you do an application or two (well worked in), and nothing happens, time to move up.

What kind of applicators do you have?
              I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'll wash off my rear bumper and do a small test spot with clay and ScratxhX 2.0. I'll report back with the results. So, you dont think i will need the ultimate polish to bring out depth' etc after the scratchx? or will the liquid wax take care of this.

I have the yellow foam applicator pad they use in the videos. I also got "even coat microfiber applicator pads" for the wax...

thanks again for your help!

Comment

Being black, the polishing oils wouldnt hurt, esp for a show.

As far as being 'needed', probably not. ScratchX 2.0 usually wont leave marring to remove, it should leave the surface itself in good shape.

Dont try to cram too much into one day though. Many people only try to remove swirls on a couple panels a day when working by hand.

Comment

Being black, the polishing oils wouldnt hurt, esp for a show.

As far as being 'needed', probably not. ScratchX 2.0 usually wont leave marring to remove, it should leave the surface itself in good shape.

Dont try to cram too much into one day though. Many people only try to remove swirls on a couple panels a day when working by hand.
                  Ok i will try that this afternoon. If needed I'll run out and get ultimate polish and/swirlx. thanls guys! I'll grab some pics too...

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');