• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black metallic 1st wash: Clay/ColorX/Wax or Clay/cleaner polish+ pure polish/Wax+Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black metallic 1st wash: Clay/ColorX/Wax or Clay/cleaner polish+ pure polish/Wax+Wax?

Hi all

I read many threads to decide for the first wash of my Brand new Black metallic car. and want to follow what Murr1525 mentioned as bellow:
    1. Wash - Gold Class soap, 2 buckets, good quality towels, etc.
    2. Clay if needed
    3. Cleaner/Wax or ColorX
    4. Wax - Nxt 2.0
    or
    1. Wash
    2. Clay if needed
    3. Clean - Ult. Polish or SwirlX for mild cleaning/polishing.
    4. Polish - Optional - Deep Crystal Polish
    5. Wax - Nxt 2.0
    6. Wax - 2 thin coats are best.
    While I decided to follow the first approach (because of some fine DISO on surface), but there are many posts talking about fantastic outcomes of pure polishes like Deep Crystal Polish (DC#2) especially for Black cars to enhance the gloss.

So, I

Re: Black metallic 1st wash: Clay/ColorX/Wax or Clay/cleaner polish+ pure polish/Wax+

Looks like you got cut off a bit. But if working by hand, I really wouldnt plan on removing swirls with either approach.

But you can finish your reply, and we'll go from there.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Black metallic 1st wash: Clay/ColorX/Wax or Clay/cleaner polish+ pure polish/Wax+

Sorry, most of the times my messages cut like this and i have to edit them immediately!!!
      my message was:

Hi all

I read many threads to decide for the first wash of my Brand new Black metallic car. and want to follow what Murr1525 mentioned as bellow:

1. Wash - Gold Class soap, 2 buckets, good quality towels, etc.
      2. Clay if needed
      3. Cleaner/Wax or ColorX
      4. Wax - Nxt 2.0
      or
      1. Wash
      2. Clay if needed
      3. Clean - Ult. Polish or SwirlX for mild cleaning/polishing.
      4. Polish - Optional - Deep Crystal Polish
      5. Wax - Nxt 2.0
      6. Wax - 2 thin coats are best.
      While I decided to follow the first approach (because of some fine DISO on surface), but there are many posts talking about fantastic outcomes of pure polishes like Deep Crystal Polish (DC#2) especially for Black cars to enhance the gloss.

So, I’m thinking about applying a polish before wax.

But, I recognized that in case of using polishes, the cleaner waxes (e.g. ColorX) are not needed and we should go directly from polish to first layer of wax!! like what Murr have mentioned in second approach, but i don't need aggressive cleaner like SwirlX or Ult. Compound.

in fact:
      1. Which one brings most deep and glossy result for new car: Clay / ColorX / Ult. Wax or Clay/cleaner polish+ pure polish/Wax+Wax? (is cleaner polish aggressive for my brand new car?)
      2. For polish, I can’t decide between DC#2 and Ult. Polish! (or both for different situations?)
      3. Which combination of cleaner polish & pure polish gives me most gloss? and also which combination of waxes? (e.g. m26 + UW)

TIA . . .

Comment

So, I’m thinking about applying a polish before wax.
        A pure polish like DC2, #7, etc enhances the gloss/richness by filling in little imperfections in the surface with some oils, as well as those oils moisturizing the paint if it needs it. So the pure polishes really dont remove swirls.
        But, I recognized that in case of using polishes, the cleaner waxes (e.g. ColorX) are not needed and we should go directly from polish to first layer of wax!! like what Murr have mentioned in second approach, but i don't need aggressive cleaner like SwirlX or Ult. Compound.
        If you want to remove swirls by hand, you probably do need something like SwirlX, or even UC.

Which one brings most deep and glossy result for new car: Clay / ColorX / Ult. Wax or Clay/cleaner polish+ pure polish/Wax+Wax? (is cleaner polish aggressive for my brand new car?)
        No, a cleaner/polish like the SwirlX or Ult. Polish is not too aggressive.

I suppose ideally, the second option would be the best. But you can see it is a lot more steps, and it would be hard to say if it is worth it. Esp if you used Ult. Polish, I am not sure a pure polish after would do much of anything to help.

Thats kind of the idea of the process with the ColorX. It gets you most of the way there in looks, in less time. We arent saying it is the best. I keep the products to do both kinds of processes around, and then use what I feel like, have time for, etc.
        For polish, I can’t decide between DC#2 and Ult. Polish! (or both for different situations?)
        Yeah, they are a bit different.

DC2 is only oils.
        Ult Polish is mild cleaners and oils, kind of like DC1 and DC2 combined. I would go with Ult. Polish.

Which combination of cleaner polish & pure polish gives me most gloss? and also which combination of waxes? (e.g. m26 + UW)
        Getting into a bit of personal preference there.

Some people like a carnuaba type wax on dark colors, like #26, but wont be quite as durable. But then I have seen comments where people think the Ult. Wax looks a bit richer like a carnuba.

Nxt 2.0 seems to be called the most glossy/shiny.

I dont worry about doing different layers, but again up to you.

Comment

Thank you for your kind guidance.

I decide to expend 1 day or 2 for first time for my new car. (and hope to repeat it annually). Even, i may decide to get a DA to meet better results. at the moment I'm traveling and try to put my car's paint pics in next few days.

1- it would be better to cover the factory painting with oil of pure polish (like Ult. Polish or DC#7) for the first time or the oil of ColorX would be enough?
          2- regarding your experience since 2004, if you buy a brand new black metallic car, what would be your choice after clay? (however as a novice, I can't do the job like you pros, but would be thankful if i know your choices )

Comment

Once year..

But really it is all up to you, and what you feel like doing. You'll find it is easier to maintain, than it is to let it go, and start over. And to wash, clay, cleaner/wax, wax should take a few hours, not days. And then the interior as needed along the way.

If just claying and cleaner/waxing, then wax, I dont know if a DA will make things faster, but certainly will allow for better defect removal. If you were thinking of doing that, or at least until you decide, I wouldnt even be trying to remove swirls by hand.

1. Modern clear coats actually wont absorb much oil, esp when new. As they age, the pores open up more. And single stage paint will have more pores. So for now, as far as the health of the paint, a little polishing oils is fine. And that tends to go for looks as well, as they get older, you can see more results, and more results from single stage paint.

2. Well, generally speaking I'll detail 4 or 5 times a year, and then washing, and spray waxing, etc in between. Esp now that I dont have a good detailing location.

So at least once a year in the spring, maybe twice if I feel like it, I'll do a detail with:

1. Wash
            2. Clay
            3. Cleaner/Polish - This would be like #80, SwirlX, Ult Polish. Whatever I have that needs used up...
            4. Wax - I'm onto the Ult. Wax these days.
            5. Wax

And then the other times I'll do the:

1. Wash
            2. Clay if needed
            3. ColorX
            4. Wax

And then the interior as needed, and I'll do the mufflers once or twice a year. Nothing too special really. But just keeping after it regularly keeps it fairly easy/simple. Not as advanced as it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Once year..

But really it is all up to you, and what you feel like doing. You'll find it is easier to maintain, than it is to let it go, and start over. And to wash, clay, cleaner/wax, wax should take a few hours, not days. And then the interior as needed along the way.
              I mean that I'm going to pass all 5 steps with "all" details (including clay, cleaner, cleaner polish, polish, wax, etc.) once a year (or as you said twice) that i guess it would take one weekend (Saturday & Sunday).
              Be sure that I'm not going to leave my new baby for more that 2 weeks without UW&W+UQW. surely, i will detail it every season to keep it glossy and shiny but not with all details, and just regarding to swirls and any other defects.

If just claying and cleaner/waxing, then wax, I dont know if a DA will make things faster, but certainly will allow for better defect removal. If you were thinking of doing that, or at least until you decide, I wouldnt even be trying to remove swirls by hand.
              So, apart from minimizing the operation time by DA, after returning to my home, i think the temperature would be around 10 to 12 centigrade at noon and just for 2 or 3 hours. Since i have to detail my new car, could i polish or wax by hand or DA would be necessary?

1. Modern clear coats actually wont absorb much oil, esp when new. As they age, the pores open up more. And single stage paint will have more pores. So for now, as far as the health of the paint, a little polishing oils is fine. And that tends to go for looks as well, as they get older, you can see more results, and more results from single stage paint.
              for such a little polishing oil, which finishing polish is recommended for new cars? in previous post you mentioned that you prefer Ult. polish. does it suggest for new paint?
              and does the unabsorbed oil make problem for next steps? or it will absorb by microfiber? or even make more glossy ?
              2. Well, generally speaking I'll detail 4 or 5 times a year, and then washing, and spray waxing, etc in between. Esp now that I dont have a good detailing location.

So at least once a year in the spring, maybe twice if I feel like it, I'll do a detail with:

1. Wash
              2. Clay
              3. Cleaner/Polish - This would be like #80, SwirlX, Ult Polish. Whatever I have that needs used up...
              4. Wax - I'm onto the Ult. Wax these days.
              5. Wax

And then the other times I'll do the:

1. Wash
              2. Clay if needed
              3. ColorX
              4. Wax

And then the interior as needed, and I'll do the mufflers once or twice a year. Nothing too special really. But just keeping after it regularly keeps it fairly easy/simple. Not as advanced as it sounds.
              sounds simple and efficient schedule. i think i would follow the same for next washes and detailing.
              BTW, since it's my first black car (beside my white Nissan Pickup), i just want to start with a perfect detailing for the first time.
              thank you again . .

Comment

I noticed the clean, cleaner/polish in your steps. You wouldnt want that for right now, just the cleaner/polish. The cleaner would be like Ult. Compound, for when you have some actual defects to remove.

So, apart from minimizing the operation time by DA, after returning to my home, i think the temperature would be around 10 to 12 centigrade at noon and just for 2 or 3 hours. Since i have to detail my new car, could i polish or wax by hand or DA would be necessary?
                The temperature range wont affect the hand vs. machine really.

If it gets damp, the wax may be harder to remove, leave some streaks. But thats nothing terrible, and usually gone by the next wash. Though I think ColorX works well at lower temps.

If you can work in the sun, that would be good when mid-low temp.

for such a little polishing oil, which finishing polish is recommended for new cars? in previous post you mentioned that you prefer Ult. polish. does it suggest for new paint?
                and does the unabsorbed oil make problem for next steps? or it will absorb by microfiber? or even make more glossy ?
                Yeah, Ult. Polish is great for new cars. The little bit of cleaning ability is almost more important with the new clear coats, to really refine the finish.

You will want to apply the Ult. Polish, then remove. Maybe apply to a panel, or half a panel, then remove. As long as the residue you can see is gone, what is left behind in the pores, etc is supposed to be there.

sounds simple and efficient schedule. i think i would follow the same for next washes and detailing.
                BTW, since it's my first black car (beside my white Nissan Pickup), i just want to start with a perfect detailing for the first time.
                As long as you have some good quality towels and applicators, everything will go well. A little streaking from the wax should be the worst trouble you have, and we've all had that.

Comment

tank you again.

So, i decided to have a side by side test for Ult. Polish and ColorX to find the best approach for the firs detailing (after GC car wash and Clay Bar).
                  Getting into a bit of personal preference there.
                  Some people like a carnuaba type wax on dark colors, like #26, but wont be quite as durable. But then I have seen comments where people think the Ult. Wax looks a bit richer like a carnuba.
                  Nxt 2.0 seems to be called the most glossy/shiny.
                  after reading the thread of Ultimate Wax in New products of 2011 and other reviews, i saw many guys were unsatisfied due to its streaks and residues, and keep their Nxt 2.0 as more shiny wax, as you mentioned.
                  1- is it the reason than at the moment you are using Nxt 2.0 as well?
                  2- BTW, i decide to finish my first detailing by combination of Synthetic (Ult. Wax or Nxt2.0) + Carnauba (GC or M26). regarding many positive reviews, i'm going with m26 for second layer (hope to be a good choice), but about Synthetic, mmm, really don't know so far last technology and durability of Ult. wax or glossy of Nxt2.0? (hope not to be forced to buy both 18+23 €)

Comment

Yeah, you can do a panel of each, or use some tape to make a line.

The Ult Polish may look a little better, but takes a little longer. Just up to what you like.

1. I used the Ult. Wax, and liked it. Seemed to last a long time when used with UQW after washing. But i do have 2 bottles of Nxt 2.0 laying around.
                    2. Yeah, people like to do that. I am sure whichever is cheaper would be fine, since it will be on the bottom.

I guess that is part of why I dont like it... taking the newest/best wax, with the hi-tech polymers and all, and then covering it up with an old wax. But it seems to work for a lot of people.

Comment

Ok.
                      Unfortunatly, here in Germany Ult. wax (both liquid and paste versions) and ColorX are not represented officially!
                      Ult. Waxes is around 40(only in eBay.de) and ColorX in one online shop around 20€!
                      So, i'm going to order these stuffs this week:

For first detailing:
                      1- Wash: GC Car Wash, 2bucks, mitt, Water Magnet
                      2- Clay: Smooth Surface Clay, UQD, SSM
                      3- Clean: if needed - SwirlX (to remove DISO), SSM
                      3- Polish: Ult. polish, soft applicator pad, SSM
                      4- Wax: Nxt2.0, soft applicator pad, SSM
                      5- Wax: M26, even coat app. pad, ultimate wipe cloth
                      6- Maintain: UQW, UQD, SSM

For Fast wash:
                      1- Wash: UW&W, 2bucks, mitt, Water Magnet
                      2- Maintain: UQW, UQD

For Normal detailing:
                      1- Wash: GC Car Wash
                      2- Clay: Smooth Surface Clay, UQD
                      3- Clean: SwirlX or UC
                      3- Polish: ----
                      4- Wax: A12 clear wax (in absence of ColorX)
                      5- Wax: Nxt2.0 or M26
                      6- Maintain: UQW, UQD

For trims and exterior plastics and leather I'll choose from high quality Germany's products, to gain from their domestic prices
                      Am I in right way? any comments?

Comment

I would not buy both SwirlX and Ult. Polish.... very similar products.

The A12 is not a bad product, just milder. You could also check for #6, or #66.

Comment

Honestly i haven't noticed a huge difference between M06 (#6 Cleaner Wax) or the consumer (A12) cleaner wax. Both are good.

Comment

I would not buy both SwirlX and Ult. Polish.... very similar products.
                            I didn't knew this!! so i would stay with Ult. polish and A12 for fine swirls and UC for deeper swirls and scratches.

The A12 is not a bad product, just milder. You could also check for #6, or #66.
                            it means #6 from professional line has more cleaning ability than A12 but same waxing features?

Originally posted by ethereal45 View Post
                            Honestly i haven't noticed a huge difference between M06 (#6 Cleaner Wax) or the consumer (A12) cleaner wax. Both are good.
                            After 15 min searching, i didn't found any #6 in amazon.de and ebay.de and some common online shops
                            So, have to stay with customer line (A12)

Comment

Originally posted by a6l3i View Post
                              2- Clay: Smooth Surface Clay, UQD, SSM
                              2- Clay: Smooth Surface Clay, UQD

If by chance you are buying the Smooth Surface Clay kit in a box, it comes with a bottle of Quik Detailer for use as a clay lube. Folks recommended to me not to use Ultimate Quik Detailer as a clay lube as it was too slick to be the most effective.

Then perhaps the Smooth Surface Clay kit in a box is not available in Germany.

Ultimate Quik Detailer is an amazing product for routine maintenance.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');