• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Chevy Caprice Classic...just getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1986 Chevy Caprice Classic...just getting started

As the commercials say, your mileage may vary. The lighter metallic colors, such as silver, gold & light blue may not respond as well as the darker colors. They were a real PIA to keep glossy when new (I'm old enough to have been there) and even tougher when aged, especially the horizontal surfaces. An important first step is multiple apps of M07. After an overnight soak and 3-4 additional apps, you'll be able to tell just by feel that the paint has been well saturated with the oils in M07, as it will become easier and easier to rub. M80 is a great product for the next step, but it's not the only choice. You can do some test spots with a more aggressive product and see how it goes. Saturating the paint with M07 first will make your compounding easier, as the paint won't pull all the moisture out of the compound, avoiding the caked up pads and horrible dusting you'd have if your first step was machine compounding. Then, follow up with M80 as a swirl remover and a final feeding with polishing oil before your LSP. As an example, here's another shot of my Camino. The burgundy areas shined up much better than the silver, but they weren't as bad as the silver when I began. I've resisted the temptation to hit the roof with something like M105 or UC, since I already tried a number of aggressive compounds to no avail prior to learning the M07 process, so I'm a bit concerned about the thickness of the remaining paint.

Bill

Comment

Re: 1986 Chevy Caprice Classic...just getting started

i read the write up you did on the other site about ur car. it does look good. I guess ill just have to get the car here and see what works! I already have 2 bottles of 7 a gallon of 80 and some m16 on the way from UK. so i should be able to at least make the customer happpy, even if i dont get the result i want.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');