• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Chevy Caprice Classic...just getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Chevy Caprice Classic...just getting started

Just getting started on this '86 Caprice Classic. I'm not sure the paint has EVER been waxed. It's my sisters boyfriends grandmothers old car, hahaha.

Started with the MFDA system, but it ruined one cutting pad and I only have two. So since I just picked up 6 yellow polishing pads and 6 black finishing pads, I decided a new combo.

UC with yellow pad
    UP with black pad
    UW with black pad

Here are some results. I've only gotten half of the hood done so far...

Re: 1986 Chevy Caprice Classic...just getting started

That's a drastic improvement! Great job!

I'm assuming your paint is single stage right? You should try products such as M07 Show Car Glaze or M80 Speed Glaze. Those products will work great on your SS paint.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Yes, single stage paint. I'm a bit confused with the application on M07, I've tried it before, and it just seemed very hard to remove. Never tried speed glaze. I need to pick up some more MG products.

Comment

Originally posted by aonorato View Post
        Yes, single stage paint. I'm a bit confused with the application on M07, I've tried it before, and it just seemed very hard to remove. Never tried speed glaze. I need to pick up some more MG products.
        You worked in the product right? Also, you didn't let the product dry by removing the polish right away? If you did this then maybe your paint is just too dry and it needs moisture from the oils provided by the polish.

Comment

Yes, that is what I did. I wish I had a garage so I could let the M07 "soak" overnight. I read a write-up about it before to condition and rejuvenate the paint

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Originally posted by aonorato View Post
              Yes, that is what I did. I wish I had a garage so I could let the M07 "soak" overnight. I read a write-up about it before to condition and rejuvenate the paint
              Don't let it "soak" or dry over night. That will be a PITA to remove. Just apply M07 multiple times and I bet that it will be easier and easier to apply/remove as you go. If so, this means that you're adding moisture to the paint at every iteration. Please let us know how it goes.

Comment

You could put the #7 on, remove what you can, then use the #80/UC after. A little #7 residue shouldn't hurt the cleaning process.

And yeah, overnight can actually work. Maybe #7 on a panel overnight, then wash it off sort of, rather than just remove? I dunno, takes a little playing sometimes.

That should shine up pretty nice though.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I am always amazed when I see drastic details like this an yet there is no clear coat failure. Somehow the paint is so badly oxidized or swirled up, and the clear coat doesn't fail. Here in California it seems like every daily driver that doesn't get waxed regularly gets clear coat failure in just 5-10 years. I guess the owner of this car doesn't live in a hot state or uses the a garage or parks under a tree.

Great work so far!!

Comment

Well, it is single stage paint as noted above, not clear coat.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well that half of the hood looks amazing. I actually have #7 but never used it since I don't get to do too many single stage paint jobs.
                      auto detailing atascadero
                      arroyo grande auto detailing
                      Paso Robles auto detailing

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll get to messing around with 07 and see what works for me. I never tried more than one application, which may be what I need...cause I am telling you, this paint is DRY.

Comment

I have a car coming like this next week. its been sitting in a garage for 12 years. (at least not outside right?) i was wondering how to go about it, as i have most of my experiance with newer clearcoat paint. glad i have some 7 on the shelf. can anyone give me the link to the article about paint like this? oculdnt find it

Comment

Here you go: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
                            It's a long read, but worth every minute of your time. After doing the full process on my '87 El Camino, I'm a disciple of Mike's process. As a bit of a testimonial to its effectiveness, here's a split shot of the roof on my Camino after the hand work, but prior to the machine polishing stage.

Bill

Comment

thats a good read! just one question though. after i feed the paint, polishit, and wax it with a good carnuba . ( ive been anxious to try this zymol ive gotten) how do i make it have that "wet" look. like that paint is ready to drip off. i saw a monte carlo like this one time that im 100% sure was all orginal paint, but it looked like modern, wet sanded, highly refined paint! the continental in the article, even after the machine polish still doenst have that look to it. ill pick up some 80 tommorrow.. Meguairs should make a "feeder wash" for dryed out paint like this! or maybe just a spray we can put on and let soak in over night!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');