• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camper Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camper Detail

I know some of you out there have travel trailers. My camper is white with rippled sides. What is the best way/products to go about cleaning and waxing these big things. I know the paint is very thin on this camper. From cleanings in the past there are a couple of areas where the paint has been cleaned down to the shiney aluminum. Probably from some harsh cleaners. I know the PC would reduce the time involved but can/would you use the PC on these rippled sides? The camper is a 1994 model and probably past restoring a new look but is still in pretty good shape. I guess what I'm after is the best way to protect the finish and prolong the life. The camper stays in a pretty harsh environment (at the beach) year round.

Would cleaning (washing and streak removal) followed by a spray wax be the best route?

Thanks for any advice.

RockyTop

Hi Rocky Top,

I have detailed a number of campers with this type of painted siding and you are correct, the pant is very thin and you have to be very careful especially around high points, raised edges, corners, etc.

After washing, we would recommend a product like our Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax if your surface evaluation reveals to you that the paint needs a little cleaning. Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax is a very mild and safe cleaner wax, not nearly as strong as a cleaner/wax like ColorX. Apply gently with a clean, foam applicator pad and pay attention to raised areas and you should be okay.

Another option would be Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. If your camper is in good to excellent condition, Meguiar's Tech Wax contains only a sleight amount of a specialized cleaner so it too would be an effective and safe choice for working on your camper. Like the cleaner/wax, apply with a clean, soft foam applicator pad and remove with a premium microfiber polishing cloth.

NEW NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste
    NXT Generation Tech Wax - Liquid

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for your input Mike. Being that the paint is so thin, I take it that you are recommending doing this by hand? Correct me if I'm wrong, I would think the PC would be too aggressive. Also, what is , if any, the difference in the automotive cleaner wax and the marine and rv one step cleaner wax?

RockyTop

Comment

Correction, i would think the PC would be too aggressive and too difficult with the rippled siding.

Comment

Definitely apply your wax by hand on this type of surface.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

This camper has stripes and different decals that add a decorative design. These are placed on top of the paint. Some of these decals have started to roll up on the edges. Now, I have no idea what these are made of but do you think it is safe to use Cleaner/Wax over these or should I avoid these. If I need to avoid these, any suggestions what to use on the decals? Mike thanks for your input so far. I would really appreciate more info from you or any other members that have cleaned and waxed a camper.

Thanks
            RockyTop

Comment

Originally posted by RockyTop
              This camper has stripes and different decals that add a decorative design. These are placed on top of the paint. Some of these decals have started to roll up on the edges. Now, I have no idea what these are made of but do you think it is safe to use Cleaner/Wax over these or should I avoid these.
              When it comes to vinyl graphics, stripes and decals, they vary in quality and how they react to different products. I have run the G100 with NXT Tech Wax over the stripes on newer Mustangs and it removes some appearance imperfections and improved the way they looked. Sometimes,

Something is better than nothing"

Other graphics do not react well to any type of wax. The best thing to do is to test in an inconspicuous area first, before attempting to apply to the entire surface and/or graphic in your case.

If I need to avoid these areas with wax, any suggestions what to use on the decals?
              If a cleaner/wax does not improve the appearance of the graphics, then a product you could try would be Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer

Take and apply this to either a foam applicator, or a little piece of terry cloth and work in to the graphic decal like you would apply a skin conditioner to dry skin. Allow the product to penetrate and after working an entire section, wipe off any excess residue with a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth. Like the cleaner/wax, (or any product), first test in an inconspicuous area.

Test Spot - Always make sure you can make one small area look good with your choice of product and procedure before attempting to address the entire surface. If you cannot make one small area look good, you most certainly will not be able to make the entire surface look good using the same product and procedure"

This will not be a permanent fix, but if the Gold Class Trim Detailer restores a new and more vibrant look, then using the product as part of a maintenance plan will maintain this appearance. (Nothing lasts forever). "Find something you like and use it often"

Barry always says, "Frequent car care is easy car care"

It's also fast car care. A nugget of wisdom from a man who has spent his entire life enriching others both in the car world and in many others areas too.

Hope this helps...
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

As always, thanks for your insight.

RockyTop

Comment

Hey RockyTop

I have been polishing my own travel trailers for years with the G-100 (PC). It works so long as the aluminum sides are not dimpled. Otherwise, wax can get stuck in the little dimples and is difficult to remove.

Here is a link to my travel trailer detailing:

The real trick is removing the remaining residue form the crevices and seams of the aluminum. Also do NOT get too aggressive with the buffing process as the aluminum has a lot of sharp edges where the paint will be quite thin.

As for the decals, I too go right over them with the buffer and #66 Quick Detailer Cleaner Wax. BUT...if they are lifting already, you need to AVOID them with a buffer or a pressure washer! Usually washing an RV with a pressure washer will lift the decals!! So do NOT use a pressure washer on it! Instead, like Mike suggested, use either Trim Detailer or #38 Tire & Trim Dressing Gel. Apply it on heavy to the decals and leave it sit for a while (5 minutes), then thoroughly wipe off with a dedicated towel.

I hope this helps!

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Wow, nice job on your travel trailer. Campers take alot of time cleaning preventive maintenance. But in the end, give me a camper in a campground over a hotel anyday. The bad thing is we bought this camper used, it is a 1994 model. I really don't think alot of time was put into the up keep of the exterior. But for the price we couldn't beat it and the exterior wasn't in too bad of shape. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');