• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98 Infiniti I30 **Polishing a Turd, Great Learning experience**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Infiniti I30 **Polishing a Turd, Great Learning experience**

This is a different job from most...as the car belongs to my idiot best friend who couldn't care less about caring for a vehicle. He's looking to sell it and I'm getting tired of looking at it...so I figured I'd detail it so it'd sell faster.

A few notes.

I'm not using the best products.

I'm not using the most care.

I'm not being extremely careful.

I'm not worried about taking too much clear coat off.

A job like this gives me a chance to try new products, new techniques, new pad combinations, etc etc. I love testing a proven product like M105 and using it side by side with a way less expensive product from "detail king." I also enjoy using different pad combinations with every type of polish I own...to see how each product works on a relatively soft paint from a Japanese manufacturer.

Today I detailed the interior and used the carpet extractor to take out some of the more ugly stains. Achieving perfection isn't the objective...as I'm just looking to "improve" this thing enough to watch it sell.

On to the pics...

Used a new product interior detailer from meguiar's...which I kinda like. It's not 303 aerospace protectant, but I like it. Leather hasn't been treated...will do that at the end.

On to a few pics of the paint.

Polish from Detail king that I've never had much luck with...white pad that I got with PC DA that I just put on the shelf. Keep in mind, this is just one stage...plan on using a second m205 like product from detail king tomorrow.

Polish worked ok...its not m105, but its half as expensive. As always, you get what you pay for most of the time!

Shot of the hood after one pass with m105 like product from detail king. Will post the name tomorrow...after I do a 2nd 3rd of the hood with m105 w/ same white pad. It'll be fun to do a comparison with better lighting.

Here is a shot of the fender after using a yellow foam pad (from detail king that I actually kinda like...similar to LC yellow pad...but way thicker) and rotary buffer. This was the first time I'd used a foam pad with a rotary buffer...so I wasn't sure of the results. As you can see, scratches were removed and lighter swirl's were left behind. This isn't a great combination...and proves just how efficient and useful a DA is with the right pads...when working with a relatively soft paint.

I will post more pictures tomorrow...as I continue using this thing as a way to test new techniques/products, etc.

Re: 98 Infiniti I30 **Polishing a Turd, Great Learning experience**

For some reason, I can't see any pictures? And after the introduction, which almost sounded like anger management, I do want to see the photos.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

photobucket wasn't working earlier...it is now.

and yes, I'm pissed at seeing this car on my property...as it sat in one place for like 6 weeks while the owner worked in CT and NM.

Here is an email to him...which you all might find kinda funny.

"The Infiniti is trashed. The tires are shot and it barely started after the battery was charged and massive amounts of starter fluid was sprayed into air filter. Once started the engine made loud ticking noise for ten minutes. It seems as though engine has quieted down...which is more than I can say about the humming tires and creaking rear shocks. If someone pays more than 16oo for the piece of **** ill be amazed."

Comment

A pic of the products I'm using...and the music I'm listening to.

Up the irons!

Comment

Interesting...
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

any true detailer takes pride in his work weather its a beat up car with peeling clearcoat on hood and roof, or a bugatti. just because the owner dont take good care of it don't mean the next owner wont, i just dont understand why you dont care about the paint your putting time and effort in. just makes no sense to me. me personaly i dont care what brand the car is its going to be treated with the same exact care as a ferarri,lamborghini, or any other high end car, why you may ask? because it is not my car nor do i own it so i feel it should get the same respect as any other car. even if i did a charity detail and not get paid for it i will still do the same thing as a paying job, sure i wont do a 5 step polishing process on it but i will take the same care of the car and its paint system.im not trying to flame you or anything but you saying you do not care about it just rubbed me the wrong way!. any ways hope it sells good for your friend and if you get it looking great it will be worth more then 1600 depending on year/mileage. people know a used car that is more then 5 years old will probably need some maintenance as the previous owner might not have kept up with maintenance.hope you do learn something from this car and make it look good as possible for the future owner. as i said think of you doing this car for the future owner, if you went to purchase a used car wouldn't you be shocked to come up to a car that looks nearly show room condition for a 10+ yearold car? i sure would be and would make a normal person more apt to buy the car.

Comment

I think you may have misinterpreted my comments a bit.

In any case, here are a few more pics.

Worked a bit more on the I30.

Driver Rear Quarter before compounding.

After polish.

Some scratches are just too deep to remove...without taking whats left of the clear coat.

Here are a few pics of the driver side doors.

Comment

A quick teaser...and also a warning to those who expect really great results. Not every panel is in great shape. In fact, this is the panel in the best shape...so expect less when car is completed.

Comment

Definitely an improvement anyway..

Please tell me you'll do something about those tires and that black trim around the windows?
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Before you treat the leather at the end I would clean it first.
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Yes indeed...I'm still just working on the paint.

Will keep you guys updated as I make more "progress." (Progress is ultimately defined by lowering the number of days this car has left on my property)

Comment

Meg's sealant on fender and doors.

Comment

A few pics of the car near completion.

Comment

Originally posted by opie_7afe View Post
                            any true detailer takes pride in his work weather its a beat up car with peeling clearcoat on hood and roof, or a bugatti. just because the owner dont take good care of it don't mean the next owner wont, i just dont understand why you dont care about the paint your putting time and effort in. just makes no sense to me. me personaly i dont care what brand the car is its going to be treated with the same exact care as a ferarri,lamborghini, or any other high end car, why you may ask? because it is not my car nor do i own it so i feel it should get the same respect as any other car. even if i did a charity detail and not get paid for it i will still do the same thing as a paying job, sure i wont do a 5 step polishing process on it but i will take the same care of the car and its paint system.im not trying to flame you or anything but you saying you do not care about it just rubbed me the wrong way!. any ways hope it sells good for your friend and if you get it looking great it will be worth more then 1600 depending on year/mileage. people know a used car that is more then 5 years old will probably need some maintenance as the previous owner might not have kept up with maintenance.hope you do learn something from this car and make it look good as possible for the future owner. as i said think of you doing this car for the future owner, if you went to purchase a used car wouldn't you be shocked to come up to a car that looks nearly show room condition for a 10+ yearold car? i sure would be and would make a normal person more apt to buy the car.
                            good post & great thread title. thread title of the year.

if you really felt that way about taking on the job then maybe you shouldve kept those feelings to yourself instead of typing them out on here for all to read.
                            its hard to put love into a freebie this is why they should never be done. yes when detailing for $ i guess there is that motivation to give the customer what he paid for & try to go over & beyond that a little bit. knowing that your not getting paid for the job before its done for me would be no motivation to waste my time. time is $ dont whore yourself out for free.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBigA View Post
                              good post & great thread title. thread title of the year.

if you really felt that way about taking on the job then maybe you shouldve kept those feelings to yourself instead of typing them out on here for all to read.
                              its hard to put love into a freebie this is why they should never be done. yes when detailing for $ i guess there is that motivation to give the customer what he paid for & try to go over & beyond that a little bit. knowing that your not getting paid for the job before its done for me would be no motivation to waste my time. time is $ dont whore yourself out for free.
                              I was hoping the title and my comments would make some of you laugh.

As you can see from my other threads, I do take things more seriously most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');