• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Warrior ... 2007 VW GTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Warrior ... 2007 VW GTI

I'm by no means a professional, just a weekend warrior (many weekends at that). After lurking here for a bit and soaking up as much knowledge as I can (and still learning), just decided to post cause, heck, I'm proud of it! And the adage about black cars being a second job ... its true.

Don't stare directly at it Guinness, you'll burn your retinas!

Re: Weekend Warrior ... 2007 VW GTI

Please tell us what you did and what you used to get it looking that good.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

Wash with GC Shampoo
      Clayed with Megs Clay kit
      GV110v2, polishing pad & UC
      After several runs with UC it gets a bit crazy. Still testing out which wax I like, so depending on what panel you look out it's either NXT2.0, or ULW.

Comment

Oh good, a side by side test. What were your impressions of the two waxes?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        David

Comment

Both were my first ever use of a liquid wax. I'm honestly still befuddled as to how to classify the two. Both are exceptionally easy to apply; though a bit difficult on a black car, which would explain the lack of streaking on the ULW that I've read so much about (I think I overlapped and really took my time applying 2 thin coats and waiting 5-7 minutes and buffing off). I split my hood down the middle left side ULW and right side NXT. ULW seems to have a mirror sheen, great reflectivity and the NXT seems to keep it wet looking, but not as crisp in reflections. Both sheet water like gangbusters! Its been almost 4 weeks since the wax was applied both are holding like a champ.

I did try applying ULW via DA, but not really sure I did any good. Again, on a black car and thin coats I wasnt sure I was applying correctly so went back to hand applicator pads.

But now have some #16 on the way so, looks like yet another panel will be a different wax.

Comment

It looks great! Cool ride and cool dog.
            -James
            2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Excellent work. ULW can be applied with the DA but is a bit tricky to stay with a thin coat.

Comment

Looking at the sun glare, it looks like you and UC did a great job. No sign of swirls.

I like UW and agree it has good clarity and nice reflections. I use a 4", soft black, Lake Country pad at speed 3 to apply UW. I move rather quickly and it stays fairly thin.

Nice job, well done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                David

Comment

There are a few swirls and marks here and there. I just have to tone down my OCD and let them slide. As a daily driver it will see it's fair share of nicks bumps and bruises over the years. So no reason to get bent out of shape everytime I see one. I figure at least once maybe twice a year on paint corrections should be good enough.

Thanks for kudos.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');