• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hell Knight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell Knight

Hi everyone

I've been pretty quiet on this forum for the past 2 years, new life, new house, finally bought my childhood fantasy car. This one will be in another thread.

I've been asked to do a quick job, only wash & wax, no correction at the moment on the oldest car I ever worked on. Prior to this one, my oldest was a 1960 Mercedes. Now this one is a late '20s or early '30s Willys Knight. It looks like it hasn't been washed for decades with some very stubborn stains. However, it isn't the original paint : this one has metal flakes in it.

I've been asked to skip the clay & polishing, at least for this year. A few paint defects I will not be able to correct will need a few spots repainted. However, I still plan on doing my best with it.

It's official : I hate washing cars from this era : corners and angles everywhere, hard to reach spots all around.

The major problem : I can't bring it to my usual detailing place in a garage : the car is uninsured and doesn't have a license plate, leaving me to detail it outside here at home. Since fall is coming, I can get about 2 hours of useable shadow time per day if it doesn't rain. I have my day job, early in the morning is way too cold and at about 7 PM, humidity becomes way too high to wax.

Today I was able to work about 1.5 hours on it. Cleaned the tires (4" whitewalls !) and did a first wash. It will definitely need another wash. This is the type of detail that would take me about 3 complete days if done entirely. I plan on using M16 on it for "vintageness" However, the conditions I have to work with are quite harsh. I will post pics when it's done.

Do you have any advice for these conditions ? Ideas of stuff that I could use in the sun to save some time maybe ?
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');