• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G220v2 stops rotating with 8" pad :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G220v2 stops rotating with 8" pad :(

I'm starting a new detailing business in Egypt
    So I decided to count on Meguiar's product, to gain a quick reputation in the local market here

Started working on my first car yesterday (a friend's silver Aveo), and didnt have a good experience at all

First, for removing cobwebs, I started with #84 with an 8" foam cutting pad @ speed 3.5
    The buffer was rotating very slowly as long as it's in contact with the surface... With the very minimum pressure, it stops rotating at all !

I had a hard time trying to finish only the hood with this combination

Now when I moved to the polishing phase (using #83 with an 8" foam polishing pad @ speed 2.5), things were even worse
    At lower speeds, the polisher can barely do anything

I checked couple of online forums, they say that 8" pads are too big to keep the polisher rotating at good speed (wonder why they make it from first place?)

So I decided to order some 6.5" pads

However, meguiar's local agent in the middle east said that they dont have any pad sizes other than 8" pads, and that all detailers can do a good job using this size, if they use a stronger polisher !

They say that G200v2 is good for waxing... but for paint defect a more aggressive orbital buffer is needed

Is this really true ?? Or should I order smaller pads from somewhere else ?

Re: G220v2 stops rotating with 8" pad

If I were you I would order 5" Pads.If possible get yourself a Microfiber Correction System Kit that includes 5" back-plate.

Comment

So you too believe that it's a pad size problem...

isnt 5" too small to finish a whole car (SUV for example) ??

Comment

I did my FULL size Cadillac with no problems. If you read most of the posts here EVERYONE is using 5" pads and these guys here are PROFESSIONALS.

Comment

Sure they are

Will try to order it from US
          Thanks for the advice

Comment

If you want to do a great job in 1/2 of the time and impress people as I said earlier get " Microfiber Correction System Kit"

Comment

looks like pretty cool stuff

But what's the equivalent product for the "Correction compound" in the speed glaze series ? I would assume #84

Comment

Originally posted by asalah View Post
                looks like pretty cool stuff

But what's the equivalent product for the "Correction compound" in the speed glaze series ? I would assume #84
                Not sure, but I would think 105 with yellow cutting pad.

Comment

The 8" pads are really designed for rotary use.

The G220v2 should have no trouble with 6.5 or even the 7" pads. Speed 5-6 for correction though.

As the others noted above, the MF system works amazingly well!
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I'm starting a new detailing business in Egypt
                    So I decided to count on Meguiar's product, to gain a quick reputation in the local market here

Started working on my first car yesterday (a friend's silver Aveo), and didnt have a good experience at all

First, for removing cobwebs, I started with #84 with an 8" foam cutting pad @ speed 3.5
                    The buffer was rotating very slowly as long as it's in contact with the surface... With the very minimum pressure, it stops rotating at all !

I had a hard time trying to finish only the hood with this combination

Now when I moved to the polishing phase (using #83 with an 8" foam polishing pad @ speed 2.5), things were even worse
                    At lower speeds, the polisher can barely do anything

I checked couple of online forums, they say that 8" pads are too big to keep the polisher rotating at good speed (wonder why they make it from first place?)

So I decided to order some 6.5" pads

However, meguiar's local agent in the middle east said that they dont have any pad sizes other than 8" pads, and that all detailers can do a good job using this size, if they use a stronger polisher !

They say that G200v2 is good for waxing... but for paint defect a more aggressive orbital buffer is needed

Is this really true ?? Or should I order smaller pads from somewhere else ?
                    First of all, welcome to MOL!

Now, there are a handful of things that should be addressed from your post that will hopefully help you out. I'll just start at the top and work my way down.

1.) #84 is ONLY to be used with a rotary buffer (commonly called a high-speed buffer) which rotates in a perfect circle at much higher speeds than a dual-action polisher.
                    2.) The 8-inch pads are to be used with rotary buffers, with 7 inches being about the limit with the DA polishers.
                    3.) Speed 3.5 is far too low for defect removal in almost all cases. You will want to use AT LEAST speed 4, but more often speed 5(+) for defect removal steps.
                    4.) speed 2.5 with #83 is for the same reasons not going to work. You need a LOT more speed.
                    5.) to say the G200 is only good for waxing is wholly inaccurate. That machine is VERY capable of very serious defect removal with the proper pads, products, speeds and technique.

Also, make sure you keep the pad as close to perfectly flat on the surface of the car when polishing with the DA buffer as that too will help to keep the pad spinning. If you lean on an outer edge it tends to bog it down.

Comment

So Mark, let me try to understand this..
                      If the G200 is not suitable for #84, or even #83

Then what's the typical usage for it ??
                      I thought that a smaller pad was the only answer

Thanks very much for taking the time to stop by and trying to help

Comment

It's not that the G220 is not suited for the #84, but it would be more accurate to say the #84 is not suited for the G220

Meguiar's makes many, many different compounds and polishes and some are developed with a very specific purpose in mind, #84 being one those intended for a high-speed rotary.

#83 and #80 are both tried and true products for the G220, but neither are as aggressive as #84 would be with a rotary. You may want to look into M105, also in the Mirror Glaze line, or something like Ultimate Compound from the new consumer line.

If you look on the backside of the bottles it has illustrations and directions that show which methods/tools can be used with the product. Some will be safe for use with the G220 dual-action, others, like #84, will not be.

Comment

OK, so now I see that a rotary is more suitable for "compounding", while for "polishing" one would use a DA

one more question (please), why not polishing using a rotary as well ?? what are the advantages of polishing with a DA like G220v2 ?

Comment

OK, so now I see that a rotary is more suitable for "compounding", while for "polishing" one would use a DA

one more question (please), why not polishing using a rotary as well ?? what are the advantages of polishing with a DA like G220v2 ?
                            If you have not "Mastered" rotary I would not use it unless you dont mind a LOT of swirls. Stick with DA for everything and you cant go wrong. Advantages of using G220V2 is NO swirls and learning is much faster with no Paint burns and a bunch of swirls. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');