• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Ultimate Compound experience (not great)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Ultimate Compound experience (not great)

Hi. I am a bit confused after trying UC to remove some moderate swirl marks on my black 2004 accord (factory paint). I bought a bottle of UC yesterday after reading a bunch of great reviews on amazon. Now I think it may have been a mistake.

Here's what happened: I applied UC by hand, as directed, on a small section of my car (less than 2' x 2') and it did seem to remove the swirls, BUT it seemed to create its own new swirls. They were not nearly as bad as the original swirls, but still noticeable. I thought maybe I was rubbing too hard so I went over it with light pressure and got the same results. I used a foam pad for applying and a microfiber for removal - and I didn't have any removal issues because I worked it until it became clear. Note: the pad and towel were freshly cleaned...no dirt in them.

Now, here's the clincher... I pulled out a nearly empty 6 year old bottle of polishing compound from a different (cheaper) brand and tried it in the same area. Guess what? The old stuff worked better. I used the same foam pad and microfiber towel too. The old stuff took out the swirls that the UC seemed to have created.

Any thoughts on whats going on here? I am just disappointed to the point that I had to post something because I spent about $10 on this bottle of UC and found out that an old $4 bottle of polishing compound worked better.

Re: My first Ultimate Compound experience (not great)

Sounds like UC was too strong for your situation...

Was UC the first product you had tried?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Sounds like UC was too strong for your situation...

Was UC the first product you had tried?
      I've used polishing compound many times before over the years, but always used a different brand. This is the first time i used a meguiar's compound. I really like thier NXT wax though and have used their Cleaner wax for years before the NXT came out. I think you're probably right about it being too strong. I guess if I wanted to keep using it I can follow it up with some meguiar's polishing compound.

Comment

As Mat (Murr1525) said UC was too strong for your paint. In those cases you either see haze or marring left.

Cleaner/ polish probably is a better product for your paint type: SwirlX, Ultimate Polish or M205 Ultra Finishing Polish. That's why is so important to always perform a test spot instead of just going over entire car.

Comment

I've also found you have to be careful not to work UC too long, it should still be wet when you're taking it off.

Comment

HUGE UPDATE:

Ok, so I decided to give UC another try today and figured out what my problem was. When I first tried it, the surface of the car was very hot. It was about 90 degrees outside. Today I cleaned off a small portion of my car and then cooled it off with a wet towel before applying the UC. What a difference!!! This time it worked perfectly! In fact I am really impressed by how well it worked. It both cleaned the paint, making the black even blacker, and left behind a virtually swirl-free shine. I was looking at the ultra-bright sun reflection and I can still see some tiny swirls but they are very faint and its pretty impossible to get absolutely zero swirls on a black car when viewing the sun's reflection. Before I applied the UC, there were moderate swirls that you could easily see from 20ft away. Now you have to be about 5ft away and looking at the sun's reflection to see any swirls. This is a fantastic product! I went over the area with some NXT to protect it.

Comment

Yes working on a cool surface is crucial. Even a temperature difference of 10 degrees can make an enormous difference in the working times of the product.

Comment

Glad it worked better for you.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It was indeed a novel revelation to me that the instructions on the packaging were there for a reason and the reason was it was the best way to use the product - go figure! :-)

Now with that experience behind you, forget ALL of the other products and when you have time, follow up the Ultimate Compound with Ultimate Polish and then the U. Wax and be prepared to be FLOORED! (Oh and those instructions work as well! :-)

Good luck!

Larry

Comment

A cool surface is very important especially when working by hand. I haven't had any issues with working UC by DA in the sun but by hand it can be tricky.

Comment

Keep in mind that reducing or eliminating swirls by hand is a very daunting procedure. It can be done, but honestly it could take 30 hours on a car. Stepping up to a PC or similar polisher is critical if you are serious about correcting your paint.
                      2010 Camaro SS RS (black), "OBSSEST"

Comment

Yes, I'm learning now that removing swirls by hand on a black car is a lot harder than polishing the white car I used to have. Ugh. I can use the exercise though.

I found out something else today. I found that if I use a foam pad that had some wax residue left on it, the UC gums up almost immediately and it hard to rub and harder to rub off, but when I switched to a fresh clean pad it goes on like butter and is almost effortlessly removed.

OK, to show you guys how well the UC worked, I taped off 1/3rd of my roof which has major swirls on it as you will see, and I worked the UC on one side and left the other side untouched. I then applied NXT wax to the polished area. As you can see, the result is pretty amazing!

Ultimate Compound and NXT (1.0) wax on badly swirled roof (video):
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Here are some pics of the results:

The minor swirls seen here are not really noticeable in person.

Taped-off section after polishing with UC (no wax yet). Yes, my roof needs it BAD. The rest of the car isn't as bad as the roof.

Taped-off section after UC and NXT wax (unbelieveable!):

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');