• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this plan make sense for detailing my daily driver and a "garage queen"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this plan make sense for detailing my daily driver and a "garage queen"

I am fairly new at this but have spent the last few months reading as much as I could find and watching videos on this and other sites. I have 2 cars that I am looking to detail and I would like to get some expert opinions on my plan of attack.

2001 Black Lexus LS430 – Daily Driver
    Hood, roof, and trunk just repainted (very poorly) and the other panels are original paint.
    Car is currently in a shop for major paint correction on the re-spray and overall detailing. Car should be swirl free when I get it back, but has some areas that might not be fully correctable. I can probably live with that for my daily driver, but I want it to look as good as possible. If it really starts to bother me, I will have to get the whole thing repainted, which is way more money than I want to spend.

Here is my plan for this vehicle to maintain the finish at the high level I expect it to have when I get it back from the shop.

Routine cleaning with Meguiar’s Wash and Wax or Ultima Waterless Wash, depending on how dirty and weather conditions. I have a microfiber covered sponge for the Wash and Wax (two buckets) or microfiber towels for the Waterless wash.

Monthly waxing with Ultimate Wax followed by Ultimate Quick Detailer. The heat and (prior to this year) rain in Houston seems to take away the wax pretty quickly, so I try to wax every month or 2.

Every 6 months, or as needed, clay and polish with Ultimate Polish, followed by Ultimate Wax. (Is this too often for Ultimate Polish? I tend to keep cars a long time and I can see this car getting polished with Ultimate Polish 20+ times at this rate.)

1967 Red Mustang Convertible – Garage Queen
    Complete re-spray 20 years ago with single stage paint.

I have been using SwirlX, Deep Crystal Cleaner, or Ultimate Polish followed by Gold Class or NXT wax by hand, and Quick Detailer/Ultimate Quick Detailer up till now. Paint looks really good in the shade, but some swirls and scratches are clearly visible in bright sun. As I learn more and see what can be done with the right tools and products in skilled hands, my standards have gone up and I want to take the paint on this car to the next level.

My 2 choices are to have the paint corrected by a professional or take the same money and invest in a D/A polisher and pads and do it myself.

If I decide to do it myself, I would get the G110v2 with the SoftBuff 2.0 Polishing Pads for the SwirlX and/or Ultimate Polish and Finishing Pads for the Ultimate Wax. I will probably need 7” and 4” pads to get into some of the smaller and concave curved areas. If that is not aggressive enough to get the results I want, I would try Ultimate Compound with the Polishing Pads, followed by Ultimate Polish and then Ultimate Wax.

After the paint is corrected, I would use the same basic steps as on the Lexus to maintain the Mustang, but would probably only do the clay and polish once a year since it rarely gets driven.

Does this sound like the right combination of products, equipment, and process to follow to get good results?

Do I have any combinations that would not work well together?

Any advantages or issues with doing the buffing myself versus hiring someone? I am a little concerned about my ability to handle some of the concave surfaces on the Mustang with the D/A and if I am going to have to do a lot by hand anyway, that could influence my decision on hiring someone. If someone has experience on a 67 Mustang I’d love to know just how hard it will be.

Re: Does this plan make sense for detailing my daily driver and a "garage queen"

I got plumb worn out just reading your plans.

Did you follow this thread before posting? http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...mp-Wax-Regimen Lots of good information.

Much depends on how much your Lexus sits outside. I owned black vehicles for over thirty years. They are extremely hard to take care of. I found that the sun and high temperatures were extremely hard on them. Your Lexus is ten years old. I suggest keeping it very simple. ColorX applied every month or two with Ultimate Quick Wax every other washing.

About the Mustang. Buy the pc and go for it. You have the right idea and will learn by doing. You really have to try hard to mess up with a pc and the products you are thinking about using are quite safe.

Life is much too short to do what you plan to do. I'm retired and try to maintain two white trucks and a couple of black Harleys. That's a handful. Try ColorX. I think you will like it a lot.

Tom

Comment

Re: Does this plan make sense for detailing my daily driver and a "garage queen"

Tom,

Thanks for the response. I had seen the thread you referenced and it has a lot of good information. The Lexus is in a garage at home and when I am at work, but would be outside any other places I would go.

Is ColorX mild enough to use that often? It sounds like it would meet my needs pretty well if it is. How does it compare to the other cleaner/wax?

My biggest concern with the D/A polisher is not that I will do damage, but that I will spend a lot of time and effort and money and not get the results I want.

Comment

ColorX is really a pretty mild cleaner/wax. It should be OK especially on the new paint (after waiting 90 days). I think you will find that with using tUlitmate Quik Wax regularly you will not be using ColorX all that often. Ultimate Quik Wax is great stuff.

Go with the pc. You will be surprised at how talented you really are. By changing products and pads you can do almost anything. I have a Makita rotary buffer that I have only used twice on my personal vehicles. The pc has been able to do all that I needed done.

The pc is also great for applying ColorX.

Tom

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');