• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange pattern in new paint job - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange pattern in new paint job - help!

Hi there,

I realise this probably doesn't strictly fall under detailing, but I repainted the bonnet of my car, sanded it, buffed it and was left with this result..

As you can see, there's a strange pattern emerging as I buff out the sanding marks in the clear coat. I used a 2K HS clear coat, but accidentally (long day!) mixed it 1:1 with hardener instead of the recommended 2:1 ratio. I painted it about 2-3 days ago, so it's probably not completely cured.

What I'm trying to understand is why the finish is coming out like this, and not completely mirror flat. I've used 1500 grit to level the surface out as flat as I possibly can, and then used a compound to remove this, and I find this very consistent web of lines and shapes sitting on the clear coat..

The gun that I used to shoot all the layers was the cheap kit gun that came with my compressor, but I don't see how this would affect the final result as I've sanded it anyway..

Perhaps I should let it sit for a few more days to set completely? Could it be the heat generated by the buffer causing it to shrivel? Is this just a given with any paint job? Looking at my dad's new car, the paint doesn't appear completely flat. Anybody? I'm a bit stuck.

Re: Strange pattern in new paint job - help!

I would let it dry for a week . Then sand with 1200 , and reclear it . Good luck.

Comment

OMG, it's JESUS in the paint. You're rich now. Sell it on eBay!!!!!!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by scapegoat View Post
        I would let it dry for a week . Then sand with 1200 , and reclear it . Good luck.
        Thanks for the reply. Will the sand marks from the 1200 grit not show through the overlaying clear coat?

Comment

Originally posted by jaymz View Post
          OMG, it's JESUS in the paint. You're rich now. Sell it on eBay!!!!!!!!

Jim
          I may just do that.. and then buy some keep-me-awake pills so I can actually get this sort of thing right the first time.

Comment

I shot transtar euro hs clear over 800 grit sanded clear...no problem here!
            Originally posted by Trillion View Post
            Thanks for the reply. Will the sand marks from the 1200 grit not show through the overlaying clear coat?

Comment

Weird....the patter reminds me of some paper towels.

I'll have to show these to me old man and see what he thinks.
              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by daniel clark View Post
                I shot transtar euro hs clear over 800 grit sanded clear...no problem here!
                So, you sprayed clear over pre-existing sanded clear.. these 800 grit scratches weren't visible after the next coat of clear was laid on? Did it not dull the finish at all? I'd rather not have to get it all the way back down to base as I'm not entirely sure how thick my base coat is and run the risk of cutting through it and having to start again :/

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                  Weird....the patter reminds me of some paper towels.

I'll have to show these to me old man and see what he thinks.
                  Indeed. I'm a complete novice - in fact, this is my first time spraying, but this just doesn't seem right. If you sand something, it should be flat.. but when the scratches are removed these things pop up. I'm not sure if they're being instilled by the buffing machine or whether they're hidden under the sanding marks..

Comment

Sad to see that.........I don't want to carry bad news, but most likely you will have do it again.
                    Many of those crumble spots don't have great mechanical adhesion to the surface, an issue link to the chemical reaction
                    in the evaporation process ( not enough flash time, too many coats, below air pressure at the gun, mixture too heavy, resulting on thick coats)
                    Sanding with 800 and reclear could be an option but paint is laying down too poor.....
                    It might not result in the mirror finish you are after.....
                    Good luck with the project....

Comment

Originally posted by juliom2 View Post
                      Sad to see that.........I don't want to carry bad news, but most likely you will have do it again.
                      Many of those crumble spots don't have great mechanical adhesion to the surface, an issue link to the chemical reaction
                      in the evaporation process ( not enough flash time, too many coats, below air pressure at the gun, mixture too heavy, resulting on thick coats)
                      Sanding with 800 and reclear could be an option but paint is laying down too poor.....
                      It might not result in the mirror finish you are after.....
                      Good luck with the project....

Hmm, so is the problem with my paint layer or clear - or both? Could it have anything to do with the fact I mixed the clear coat 1:1 with hardeners instead of 2:1? The primer and base coat went on fine, but when I came to do the clear coat, it went on HORRIBLY. I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong, but it had fish eyes, a wavy texture to it, and it generally looked really bad. I'm gutted as this is actually the car I use daily, and only experimented as I had a few weeks off and was keen as I'd been interested in this sort of thing for a while. I've got a better spray gun on the way, a Devilbiss GTI, which I know won't make me any better at this, but it will at least eliminate the potential for the gun being at fault. Could anyone suggest ideal settings for shooting a good clear coat? Fan size, PSI etc..?

Comment

The pattern in your picture looks like there's some type of chemical "incompatibility" between the base coat and clear coat. Can't say if its related to the incorrect mixing ratio (1:1 vs. 2:1), general incompatibility between the base coat and clear coat or if there is contamination between the base coat and clear coat.

I've seen something similar at a prior job - our painting sub-contractor did not thoroughly clean out his paint guns between jobs - the resulting painted parts developed a "crinkle" like texture.
                        Andy W.
                        Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                        Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

With that said REDO is the way to go....!!!!!
                          Happy for your investment of the GTI......
                          Great tool to add to your hobby.....
                          65 psi is good when clear is shot..... also technique varies between initial coat and final coat of clear...
                          A little extra material wont hurt this great learning experience....

Comment

Originally posted by bmrfan View Post
                            The pattern in your picture looks like there's some type of chemical "incompatibility" between the base coat and clear coat. Can't say if its related to the incorrect mixing ratio (1:1 vs. 2:1), general incompatibility between the base coat and clear coat or if there is contamination between the base coat and clear coat.

I've seen something similar at a prior job - our painting sub-contractor did not thoroughly clean out his paint guns between jobs - the resulting painted parts developed a "crinkle" like texture.
                            Could this be caused by water in the system? I've managed to get hold of one now, but at the time of shooting this I didn't have a water trap. Also, I only flushed the gun through with thinner rather than stripping it entirely between the base and clear. These are water based paints, both were sold to me for use with each other at the same auto paint shop.. hmm.. perhaps I used the wrong thinner in the clear coat? I have a bottle marked with standard thinner, and a bottle marked with 2K thinner. I opted for the 2K thinner because I presumed this would work with the 2K clear..

Originally posted by juliom2 View Post
                            With that said REDO is the way to go....!!!!!
                            Happy for your investment of the GTI......
                            Great tool to add to your hobby.....
                            65 psi is good when clear is shot..... also technique varies between initial coat and final coat of clear...
                            A little extra material wont hurt this great learning experience....
                            Thanks for the tips. Heh, I guess it is a learning process.. think I might be looking for a spraying course next year though! :P

I just can't think what might be the cause of contamination if it's nothing that's been mentioned.. I didn't tack the surface of the base coat down before shooting though. One other thing.. as I was short for time (it was getting late - noisy compressor) I sprayed the clear coat within 30-60 minutes of shooting the base, it may have been even less than that. Could this possibly have anything to do with it?

Comment

Guys, I just realised something. I actually sprayed some paint on some scrap plastic to test it before shooting onto the car. Well, I sprayed both base and clear coat, in very light coats. I decided to polish it up to see if it came out with the same result, and it's actually mirror flat and completely without the funny marks in the paint on the car, which leave me confused.. The scrap panel was FAR dirtier than the car, and hadn't been cleaned at all. It was purely there to test spray pattern and that sort of thing. The difference is, when I painted the car, I put a lot more layers on. I probably put 4 or 5 quite thick coats of clear coat on.. I'm wondering if this could be the cause..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');