• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I go from 2000 grit to high gloss in a lacquer finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I go from 2000 grit to high gloss in a lacquer finish?

I realize on a detailing forum in 2011 most of us are dealing with Urethane clear finishes. But I've been using nitrocellulose lacquer finishes since the get go and am looking for your ideas. I find that using a DA sander (Dynabrade) works well to level and refine the scratches. I use this schedule ; level with 400 grit and work my way from 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 with a 6" orbital DA sander. Then to avoid swirls I go 1200, 1500, 2000 by hand. This gets rid of most of the swirls. From there I go to the polisher. I'm curently using a rotary polisher and a White 3M eggshell foam pad (8"). I am getting some circular scratches from the rotary polisher and the residue never quite disappears (it'll pickup a wet streak from the edge after I have it buffed dry). Anyways, I'm open to tips on products to final finish it. Right now I've been using Swirl X by Meguires and Viva paper towels to remove the swirls from the polisher. But this only works so so. I'm not very good by hand. I like power tools! Anyways, any tips/product recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');