• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Wax Durability??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Wax Durability??

Last week I used Microfiber system-D300, D301 followed by Ultimate Wax Liquid. I absolutely love the look, feel, shine, water shedding, etc. My cars have never looked better. I am a 100% Meguiars user except for LSP's. I swear by Collinite 845 and 476 for durability. They are not as user friendly as Meguiar LSP's but usually outlast them by months. Spring, Summer and Autumn, I don't mind waxing, but living in Pittsburgh, not many chances to detail your car from November thru March. For 5 months, I feel confident Collinite is providing some solid protection. Any chance The new Ultimate Wax could begin to approach this? Western Pennsylvania just cakes on the road salt and chemicals. If it could hold up 4-5 months in those conditions, I think I have found my new LSP. Appreciate any thoughts on the subject, opinions welcomed!!

Re: Ultimate Wax Durability??

Ultimate Wax is Meguiar's longest lasting protection product. Of course its durability depends on paint surface preparation (clay/ pre-wax cleaner) and conditions in which vehicle is being used (daily driver exposed to contaminants and parked outside 24/7 won't last as long as garage queen).

Ultimate Wax applies as a thin coat and creates strong bonding with paint surface. If I additionally use maintenance products: Ultimate Quik Detailer between car washes and Ultimate Quik Wax after car washes, I think extended period of protection will be guaranteed.

Comment

I just did a follow-up with a client of mine who has three vehicles: a Subaru daily driver, a 350z that gets weekend duty and a classic Porsche Speedster that basically only comes out for shows and such.

I applied a single coat of liquid Ultimate Wax about 2 weeks after the product was released (Which was early 2011) via DA to the 350Z. It hasn't been waxed (or given booster spray wax) whatsoever since and has had 3-5 washes.

When I washed the 350Z yesterday it had a definite hydrophobic coating remaining... I would say about 50-60% full strength. I was thoroughly impressed because the client takes it to a touchless car wash on occasion (ie harsh chemicals that can strip wax).

Comment

I used UW liquid on the wifes car about 3 weeks ago. Friday (past) I noticed a spot about the size of of a silver dollar (those OLD ones) that I had missed wipping off. It was on the plastice type of bumber. Well, it didn't 'just' wipe off! Tried QD...nuttin', tried UQD...kinda removed it. Ended up using some 409 on a rag. That removed it.

By looking at that, I'm thinking looong life!

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Comment

Greg,

I would agree by using UQD and UQW, the protection can be extended by quite a while. My current regimen is to wash weekly, and alternate UQD and UQW every week after washing. Both cars are garaged daily drivers. The problem in the wintertime is being able to wash the cars. I am lucky if I can wash the cars 3-4 times in 5 months. The weather simply isn't above freezing often enough to be able to do more than that. Obviously, using UQD is not possible, as I would be grinding cinders, and road salt right into my paint.

Mark,

I think during the other 3 seasons in western Pennsylvania I would agree, I just am not sure how it would hold up to winter conditions.

Bill,

That actually sounds promising. I know first hand dried Collinite is like concrete when trying to remove.

I may forgo using the UQD and UQW for the next couple of months to see just how durable Ultimate Wax is on it's own. If it holds up, great, if not, I can always use it from April through October, and go back to Collinite from November through March.

Does anyone have any winter experience with Ultimate Wax? I know a good part of winter was gone by the time it became readily available.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kris (RPPM)

Comment

I also have used Collinite for a winter wax and Meguiars in the summer. It will be interesting to see what you find.
            2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
            2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Originally posted by RPPM View Post
              Greg,
              Does anyone have any winter experience with Ultimate Wax? I know a good part of winter was gone by the time it became readily available.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kris (RPPM)
              I think we'll have to wait for the up coming winter to come and pass (not looking forward to that...LOL)...UWax was just introduced last November or so.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');