• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with 12 year old paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with 12 year old paint

Hello all,

I might be buying a '93 Miata and after look at it last night, the car runs fine, but the paint is quite a challenge. See picture below. The paint is rough to the touch, has key scratches, swirls, you name it.

My question is, is it possible for me to detail it myself, or should I bring it to a professional detailer?

Here is a somewhat closeup of the condition of the paint:

With the right products and a probably a lot of elbow grease, you could do it yourself.
    How much experience do you have with detailing cars and how much time/work are you willing to put into it?
    I know I'd be itching to work on that, the final results would be very rewarding.

Comment

A quick and easy way to see what can be done would be to purchase some ColorX and apply to one panel, (the worst panel), working it in well with either a microfiber applicator pad or a terry cloth applicator pad, or a piece of terry cloth about 6" by 4" folded over.

Allow the ColorX to dry to a haze, then remove.

The results you produce will be a great indicator as to whether to,

* Continue doing the entire car by hand with ColorX.
      * Stop where you are and cut your losses if little or no improvement is seen.
      * Perhaps think of doing a multiple step system if the results are looking good.

You could also try a paint cleaner, or even Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax in the maroon bottle. The idea is to get a good feel for if the paint can be salvaged or if it is past the point of restoring.

My guess is that you'll be able to produce some pretty dramatic before and after results if you use the right products.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

This porsche was in similar condition as the miata you are looking at. I clayed it, dc #1 paint cleaner + #7 polish. All done by hand and it brought the color and shine right back.

Comment

Sure would be nice to have that car in the southern part of CA!!
          Quadruple Honda Owner
          Black cars are easy!

Comment

Miata's, especially the earkier ones are not clear coated and didnt have the greatest paint from the factory. It is possible to bring some life back into the car with some patience and a lot of elbow grease and a pc.

Try Mikes sugestion and see what scratch X will do, if the results are satisfactory you should be able to do it yourself.
            If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm itching to work on the paint as well.

My experience with detailing is just limited to the Meg's 3 step - cleaner, polish, wax. And only on my new car.

This will be quite a challenge.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');