• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'60 Impala, Full Wet Sand and Buff: Rasky's Auto Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Impala, Full Wet Sand and Buff: Rasky's Auto Detailing

1960 Impala, Full Wet Sand and Buff.

So this is another car that my mentor recently picked up for resale at a local auction (yes it sold). The car appeared to have been repainted several years ago, but it was never actually wet sanded and buffed after the repaint. Overall the car was in very good shape, but the paint really needed to be leveled off to show it's true potential. While I really wanted to level the paint as smooth as glass, the initial paint readings told me there was not a lot of paint of the car and the owner and I agreed not to go too crazy with the sanding, but it was still a huge improvement!

So lets take a look at how the car came in...

Here it is at the owners facility, where I did my initial inspection and test sanding/buffing.

Deck lid

Zoomed in

Top of the passenger door

Side of passengers door

Passenger fender

Dust nibs still in the paint

Drivers side fender

Looking down the side....those fins made for some challenging sanding and buffing.

This one shows some swirls, RIDS, and nasty orange peel.

The Sanding process was done by both hand and DA. Areas that were highly curved needed to be done by hand using Meguiars (Nikken) 1500/3000 grit sheets and a makeshift sanding block/pad. The flat panels were done using a combination on Mirka Soft 1000/2500 grit disks in both 3" and 6", followed by some Meguiar's 3000 grit disks.

I must also give Kevin over at BuffyDaddy a huge thumbs up for helping me find the right sanding media for this rock solid paint and for getting them out to me in such a timely matter! This was by far the hardest paint I've ever laid a buffer too. The Mirka Soft discs worked flawlessly and will be added to my wet sanding arsenal! Thanks again Kevin!!!

Pics of the sanding in process

Hand sanding curved areas

DA sanding

Car all sanded ready to be buffed...notice that the 3000 grit almost leaves the paint with a slight gloss.

Doing some more test spots trying to figure out best combo for scratch removal.

50/50 test spot
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: '60 Imala, Full Wet Sand and Buff: Rasky's Auto Detailing

This was on one of the late week nights, frustrated by how hard the paint was....Kevin asked how it was going so I thought I'd send him a pic showing how it was "really" going.

The actual sanding scratch removal was done with the below process:
    -M105 on the rotary with various wool pads (KB's method)
    -M105 on the rotary with cyan LC foam pads
    -M205 on the rotary with tangerine LC foam pads
    -PO85RD on the rotary with black LC foam pads

LSP was Blackfire Wet-Diamond

The next day I decided to take a break from the paint and focus on the stainless trim and a few other items, which M105 actually polished up very nicely.

Before

After

Before

After

Change can be seen better in these ones

Before

After

While polishing the rear trim piece I also took off the tail light covers to better polish them. Plus they were a little dirty inside so I gave them a quick cleaning. This was actually a 50/50 shot of the rear trim and taillights...hard to see difference in the pic

Dirty housing

Quick cleaning

Tail lights

Both sides done

Another 50/50 shot
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

This was as I finally finished at 1:00a.m. during a week night. I normally don't take cars on during the week as I have a full time job, but the car had to get done as it was going to the auction the next day.

Next day when the owner picked it up.....yea sun!

I didn't do anything with the motor or trunk but thought I add pics of them as well

As always, thank you for taking the time to view my work!

Rasky
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Just incredible, truly a work of art. How long did the whole process take?
        Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
        2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Comment

OMG OMG OMG ! ! ! etc etc etc!
          Don
          "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

AMAZING WORK Chad!!!!! The paint just looks perfect!!! It's such a dramatic improvement compared to its original condition even if you said you didn't sand it as much as you wanted to. What was the reaction of the owner? I'm sure he was ecstatic!
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by G_S_DB View Post
              Just incredible, truly a work of art.

Amen, brother. Absolutely stunning!

Comment

As always, great write up nice pics, and GREAT Job.

Comment

Amazing job! The M105 on the chrome, did you do that by hand or with a machine?

Comment

Beautiful work on this 1960 Beauty, Chad.

You made it look stunning.

M105/ M105/ M205/ PO85RD/ LSP = amazing transformation. Good call on not going crazy with orange peel on thin and hard paint.

Comment

wish the red on my truck POPPED like that. you would run and hide at the swirls and atuff on my truck (i work at a granite quarry, so dust settles on it all day). When its clean, it looks good until the sun hits it and you see all the swirls

Comment

Simply beautiful Chad!

May I ask how you polish around the front letters??
                        Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Truely outstanding work Chad.

That car looks really good in red. I imaging the owner had 2nd thoughts about selling after you got done with it.
                          -Bob
                          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by G_S_DB View Post
                            Just incredible, truly a work of art. How long did the whole process take?

Thanks Greg! I'd say I had about 50-60hrs into.

Originally posted by gto_don View Post
                            OMG OMG OMG ! ! ! etc etc etc!
                            Hahaha! Thanks Don!

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
                            AMAZING WORK Chad!!!!! The paint just looks perfect!!! It's such a dramatic improvement compared to its original condition even if you said you didn't sand it as much as you wanted to. What was the reaction of the owner? I'm sure he was ecstatic!
                            Thanks Marc!

Originally posted by Brook View Post
                            Amen, brother. Absolutely stunning!
                            Thanks Brook!

Originally posted by blue-sun View Post
                            Amazing job! The M105 on the chrome, did you do that by hand or with a machine?
                            Thank you! The trim was actually stainless and was done mostly by machine.

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
                            Beautiful work on this 1960 Beauty, Chad.

You made it look stunning.

M105/ M105/ M205/ PO85RD/ LSP = amazing transformation. Good call on not going crazy with orange peel on thin and hard paint.
                            Thanks Greg!

Originally posted by dixie_boysles View Post
                            wish the red on my truck POPPED like that. you would run and hide at the swirls and atuff on my truck (i work at a granite quarry, so dust settles on it all day). When its clean, it looks good until the sun hits it and you see all the swirls

Yeah, it's hard to keep the daily drivers looking good.

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
                            Simply beautiful Chad!

May I ask how you polish around the front letters??
                            Thank you!

I actually removed the letters and anything else that was easily accessible.

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                            Truely outstanding work Chad.

That car looks really good in red. I imaging the owner had 2nd thoughts about selling after you got done with it.

Thanks Bob!

Naw, the owner buys and sells cars for a living.
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Amazing, very nice restore. I don't think I remember seeing them come from the factory looking that nice.
                              2005 Trailblazer LT Majestic Red Metallic
                              AutoGeek's 6th Annual Detail Fest & Car Show
                              1st Place-Best Overall Detail
                              3rd Place-Best of Show
                              March 26th, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');