• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get rid of crack-look in leather and get it to have a new matte-like finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of crack-look in leather and get it to have a new matte-like finish?

Ok, the leather in my car looks like it is all rough and cracked. I have Meguiars 2-step leather cleaner and conditioner....I followed instructions real carefully, but it did not get rid of the cracks...is there any product or method that does?

Thanks,

Zach

When it's all cracked like that it is usually too far gone to correct it, you can continue to condition it to make sure that it doesn't dry out any further. I don't think you can correct it though, that is without recovering the seats. That is one of the things that happens to leather with continued use.

Comment

I agree.. sounds too far gone. I think removing the roughness is all you can really expect, and preventing future cracks. The Meguiars products can prevent such damage, but I dont know anything short of recovering the seats that will fix/reverse cracking.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Are they cracks or tight creases from where the leather has folded from use? Like the others said if they are cracks, it's pretty much over. You can stop/slow the deterioration, but reversal isn't possible.

HOWEVER, if they are deep creases, then use of a toothbrush and plenty of the Rich Aloe Leather Cleaner will clean out the embedded dirt.

The regulars can tell you I love this pic:
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

its real similar to yours...except worse....we are the 3rd owners of the car, and the previous owners didn't take care of it very well (we had to get a lot of new parts). Approximately how much would it cost to recover? (2 front seats and 2 back seats w/ fold up armrest that acts as a 3rd)

Comment

It really depends on the quality material they will be using and the shop iteself. Your best bet would be to consult your phonebook and call a couple of your local upholstery shops and see what they quote you. Even better would be to take your car by a few and show them what you want done.

Comment

Re: How do I get rid of crack-look in leather and get it to have a new matte-like finish?

Originally posted by Zc527
              Ok, the leather in my car looks like it is all rough and cracked. I have Meguiars 2-step leather cleaner and conditioner....I followed instructions real carefully, but it did not get rid of the cracks...is there any product or method that does?

Thanks,

Zach
              If you already tried the Meguiar's and similar type products and they failed, try some Rejuvenator Oil. I haved used it on my Aston Martin's leather and it does help. I know other guys have used a product called Hide Food. I would check first to see that they are compatible with your leather and finish.

Comment

Ask some local dealer's used car dept who they use for leather restoration. They can fill in cracks and creases and re-dye the leather and it comes out looking pretty good. To have the leather replaced, expect to pay in the $1,500 range. You can check with katzkin.com and see if they have a kit for your car and if you want to do it yourself, then you can save half.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');