• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep new headlights from yellowing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep new headlights from yellowing?

I just ordered a new set of headlights for my car (2002 Camaro Z28) and I was wondering if there is anything that I could use to protect them from yellowing like my old ones did. Thanks!

Re: How to keep new headlights from yellowing?

Welcome to Meguiar's Online.

Here's one option:
    Wolfgang Plastic Surface & Headlight Sealant 8 oz. - Why protect your lens covers? The reason is clear! Headlight lens covers are typically made of polycarbonate, a durable plastic that has high impact resistance. Since the lenses are constantly ...

Comment

PlastX works to remove "yellow" from the headlights, not sure if it will prevent it.
      Do a search and you will see.

One thing you can do is when you wax the car, apply wax to the headlights as well. This will keep your headlights in top shape.

Comment

I would just wax it as much as you can preferably after every wash. I know it will be hard to do but that's your best bet.
        2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
          I would just wax it as much as you can preferably after every wash. I know it will be hard to do but that's your best bet.
          Before I killed my Cavalier, I would polish and wax the headlights just like I would do for the paint. It had 106,000 miles on it at the end and the lenses were still perfectly clear.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

PlastX twice a month followed by UW.
            My head lmaps look brand new.
            Chief Engineer.
            My part time job is to maintain my black Toyota!

Comment

I would hand polish them with a paint cleaner every few months and use wax or sealant as needed.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I know a lot of headlights come with some type of UV protection embedded or layered on the lens, which polishing could damage/remove. It doesn't last forever, hence the yellowing making polish necessary.

I just picked up a bottle of 303 Protectant to use on my new Mustang as well as the gf's 2002 Grand Am (new) headlights. Supposed to work great, although I have to think it doesn't last that long between applications.
                2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

If they are factory OEM lights...

Here is some advice.......

• Keep them waxed or sealed on a regular basis
                  • Do not use harsh cleaners or abrasive products on them
                  • Use a quick detailer in between washes to keep the lenses clean and protected
                  • For the best long term protection I would recommend using a PPF to wrap them, then just maintain the film.

Remember that this OEM sacrificial coating is very strong but also very thin, stay away from cleaners and anything abrasive

If they are non DOT approved or knock off's this may be different.....
                  David M. Sylican
                  Innovative Detailing
                  Headlight Lens Restoral
                  Detailing Caddy
                  Join us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Innovative Detailing View Post
                    If they are factory OEM lights...

Here is some advice.......

• Keep them waxed or sealed on a regular basis
                    • Do not use harsh cleaners or abrasive products on them
                    • Use a quick detailer in between washes to keep the lenses clean and protected
                    • For the best long term protection I would recommend using a PPF to wrap them, then just maintain the film.

Remember that this OEM sacrificial coating is very strong but also very thin, stay away from cleaners and anything abrasive

If they are non DOT approved or knock off's this may be different.....
                    Great advice David!
                    Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                    www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                    Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

^ Pretty much what I say. I alway wax glass and plastic like this to ensure a good protection layer.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');