• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Meguiars tire shine spray in place of engine dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Meguiars tire shine spray in place of engine dressing

Got a question, is it ok to shine or dress your engine compartment with Meguiars tire shine or tire foam spray? I've heard people here in the US say they like to do it since the stuff is pretty similar to other engine dressings and since Meguiars does not make their engine dressing available in the US yet to some the tire shine sprays act as a good alternative. But according to you all and to any of the Meguiars reps or mods is it ok? And if not, what Meguiars US product would serve as the best alternative currently? Also does Meguiars plan on releasing the engine dressing in the US soon to go along with their engine cleaner? Sadly, in my little town of Corbin Ky. I have yet to even see the engine cleaner.
    Strader327

Professional photographer and owner of STRADER Motorsports Photography

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strad...41121349262327

Re: Using Meguiars tire shine spray in place of engine dressing

Engine dressing options:

Engine cleaner options:

Autogeek is your number one car care source for auto detailing supplies, the best car wax, car care products, car polishes, auto accessories, polishers, and car detailing tools store.

Comment

All Season Dressing:

Silicone Free Dressing:

Hyperdressing
      Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
      by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Thank you all very much for the links. I'm still very confused why Meguiars is not selling the engine dressing sprays in the spray bottles like what they are doing in other countries. Any ideas on why? My only guess is that there isn't a big demand for it yet.
        Strader327

Professional photographer and owner of STRADER Motorsports Photography

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strad...41121349262327

Comment

Originally posted by strader327 View Post
          Thank you all very much for the links. I'm still very confused why Meguiars is not selling the engine dressing sprays in the spray bottles like what they are doing in other countries. Any ideas on why? My only guess is that there isn't a big demand for it yet.

Different markets, different consumer demands. Same reason Europe gets more diesels, manuals, wagons and hatchacks - we get more hybrids, muscle cars and trucks.

Comment

Those dressings above are just ratio mixed into spray bottles, it's not a big deal to mix them...

You'll get a lot more end-use product for the dollar vs. pre-mixed dressings anyhow...
            2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
            2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

I dont believe ASD should be used in the engine bay.

I myself use only HD 3:1.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                I dont believe ASD should be used in the engine bay.

I myself use only HD 3:1.
                Have always appreciated your opinions. If you don't mind....WHY?
                Last edited by Jossy92; Jun 12, 2011, 08:55 AM. Reason: after thoughts; typo
                Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

been cleaning my engines for 46 yrs.for years we used GUNK.i use SIMPLE GREEN now and it works ok but is not rec by experts here.
                  today i used MEGUIARS EXTREME TIRE SHINE on my engine to get shine.
                  it looks GREAT.
                  been using petroleum products for longtime and no problems i could see but i dont wash engine more than 2 times per year.
                  but experts here know if what i am doing is BEST .

tire shine stuff is best i have used in 46 yrs of shining my engine.

Comment

Ususally the worry with an oil based product would be applying it to a hot engine, or starting the engine before the oil evaporates/dries, and getting a flash fire.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                      Ususally the worry with an oil based product would be applying it to a hot engine, or starting the engine before the oil evaporates/dries, and getting a flash fire.
                      i see.i guess that could happen.been lucky all these years .my dad did it long ago,he loved to wash his engine.
                      they used to spray KEROSENE all over engine then hose off.

Comment

You would really have to get the right mix of conditions, amount of flammable material in the right place, heating up fast enough... but at least that is why people tend to go water based.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i looked at my engine today after using EXTREME SHINE TIRE SPRAY and it was best i have ever saw in 46 yrs of spraying my engines.
                          dont know how long it will last but it shines like a semi-gloss satin ,looks beautiful.unreal.

Comment

stuff i use was MEGUIARS INSANE TIRE SHINE not extreme

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread...Has anyone (lately) tried a 'tire dressing' on engines?

I realize/know that there are "D" products that do a pretty good job, but I really don't need a gal of product (that becomes 4 gal after dilution ).

TIA!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');