• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remove haze on inside of windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove haze on inside of windows

I don't have a problem keeping the outside of the windows clean but I get a thin haze film on the inside of the rear window. I'm not sure if it's caused by the vents blowing (that's what I am thinking) but not sure. It's just a real pain to get back there and try to clean them and when I do I seem to always miss some spots and I only notice it when I'm driving and the sun blares down on the rear window. And that happen a great deal in San Diego, CA. Does anyone know what causes that haze?
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, Octane Blue

Re: Best way to remove haze on inside of windows

I have always heard that it is 'outgassing' of all the plastic interior parts

Comment

the only way I know of is regular cleaning with your favorite glass cleaner...
      I get the same as you with the missed spots here and there, windows look great then you go out and the sun hits it and bam dirty spots!
      Joel
      1976 Cutlass S
      2001 PT Cruiser
      1990 454SS
      Suburban

Comment

Originally posted by rcktpwrd View Post
        the only way I know of is regular cleaning with your favorite glass cleaner...
        I get the same as you with the missed spots here and there, windows look great then you go out and the sun hits it and bam dirty spots!
        Yeah. The spots are a real pain in the arse for sure. I am also curious as to what routines/techniques people use to clean their windows. Dang dirty/streaking spots.
        2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, Octane Blue

Comment

I know when I was doing cleaning on a more regular basis, weekly or biweekly, the glass was much easier to keep clean. Now that I don't have time to clean the car that often it is much harder to keep the glass as clean...
          Joel
          1976 Cutlass S
          2001 PT Cruiser
          1990 454SS
          Suburban

Comment

Been using one of those "as seen on TV" handles with a microfiber cover to clean the windows, since I can't reach some of them. Works fine with any one of the Meguiar's glass cleaners. I believe I read it first from "Murr" go one direction on the outside and perpendicular to that on the inside to identify which side is streaked. Although, it's not too much of a problem with Meguiar's. I believe Stoner's also makes a fancy handle to reach into the corners too. The handles also seem to give you better leverage when you're in some awkward position crawling around in the car.

I also read somewhere to be careful of defrosters in windows. Go gently and parallel to the wires. Not sure if that is important, but it's what I try to do to avoid damaging them.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

I use one of those handles, got it at Big Lots for $3. I just put my hack towel on top of the contraption on the end & it works well. There are a couple of informative threads on windows cleaning that can be found by doing a search with the right keywords.

Comment

I highly recommend Mineral Spirits (odorless). It breaks down any oily type of funk you have going on. Dab a rag with some and wipe inside the window like you would your fav window cleaner. Then, follow up with your window cleaner of choice. If you're a bit leary of using mineral spirits (which is another name for paint thinner - don't be intimidated), try a small spot first. Not sure if aftermarket window tint would be affected - perhaps other forum members could give their 2ยข.
                Ray...
                Graphic Designer and detail semi-freak!

Comment

If i'm not mistaken this is due to some temperature difference between inside and outside of the car forming a haze/fog in the rear windows. I have this issue often on one of my cars but on my Forte it doesnt happen so much though. Anyway, standard issue glass cleaners (the spray kind) should do the trick.

Comment

If it is just road or out gassing haze (and not cigar smoke) I found warm water and a good microfiber cloth to be the best thing. Just wet a cloth, clean the window, and wipe dry with a clean microfiber. Every class cleaner I have EVER used, left streaks. Warm water and a couple of MFs was the simple solution for me.

Comment

As long as the windows aren't really nasty from kids hands or dog tongues I too recommend using just water. I would have to add though that the water should be distilled.
                      Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

We have fairly "hard" water and it has never been an issue. Certainly distilled wouldn't hurt.

Comment

The best thing I have found is Optimum no rinse (ONR). I use a microfiber mitt and my favorite wipe. Soak the mitt and squeeze out some of the liquid (so it won't drip all over the dash). Rub the window with the mitt and use your favorite drying towel.
                          Art Layton
                          2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');