Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove water spots on windows/windshield, minor spots on paint, and polish question

Registered Member

Remove water spots on windows/windshield, minor spots on paint, and polish question

hey guys after having my car for 6 months there is water spot buildup on it and it is getting to me because i want to see clear and make my car look good. after a good car wash you wont see it much but if you leave it out to get dirty for a couple of weeks you can actually see the hard water spots i have tried glass cleaners for cars but no luck and i accidentally created water spots on parts of the windshield because the sun had dried the water before i could dry the whole car i also have minor spots on my paint only if you were up close you would see them. is there a safe cleaner that i could use on it? another question is if i use nxt 2.0 wax should i also use a polish for the car? my car is silver if you need what color it is. btw i dont have any tools to remove water spots and i have saw an article on the site about removing water spots for windows but i dont have the right tools for it.

Re: Remove water spots on windows/windshield, minor spots on paint, and polish questi

Quote Originally Posted by exia View Post
    after a good car wash you wont see it much but if you leave it out to get dirty for a couple of weeks you can actually see the hard water spots i have tried glass cleaners for cars but no luck and i accidentally created water spots on parts of the windshield because the sun had dried the water

Wash, clay your glass and you can use something with abrasives to remove those spots from glass, like cleaner polish (SwirlX) or paint cleaner (Ultimate Compound).

before i could dry the whole car i also have minor spots on my paint only if you were up close you would see them. is there a safe cleaner that i could use on it?

If they're not etched (penetrated deeper into paint) clay bar and 50/50 mix of white distilled vinegar and water can remove them. If etched paint cleaner may be needed, starting gently with a cleaner wax first.

another question is if i use nxt 2.0 wax should i also use a polish for the car?

Surface preparation using clay bar and pre-wax cleaner will extend your paint protection. After cleaning your paint - polishing is the next optional step (very rewarding mostly on dark colored cars). NxT Tech Wax 2.0 has some mild polishing oils. So the answer is you could use a paint polish but it's not necessary, especially on your silver paint.
    It hope it helps.

Re: Remove water spots on windows/windshield, minor spots on paint, and polish questi

The vinegoar can also be used on the glass.
    '08 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE - Newport Blue Pearl

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by greg0303 View Post
    It hope it helps.
    this answers a lot but are there any alternatives for the windows? im confused about claying the windows

Registered Member

nvm about claying the windows do i use quik detailer/ultimate quik detailer or ultimate compound for claying? and how many clay bars should i buy for all windows?

Use Quik Detailer. It comes with the Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

You will only need half of a clay bar to do all your windows and the rest of your car. You could then probably store it away and use multiple times in the future, providing your car isn't too filthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

However, when you clay your glass, you may well be surprised how much stuff you pull off - especially if you have ever been upwind from someone that was painting with either a sprayer or with rattle cans......

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    Use Quik Detailer. It comes with the Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

You will only need half of a clay bar to do all your windows and the rest of your car. You could then probably store it away and use multiple times in the future, providing your car isn't too filthy.
    hey thanks this helps clear things up a lot i know this is off topic but do you know if the all purpose cleaner works on scuff marks? or should i just use pine sol?

Registered Member

I used to get water on my car in storage. The place had a leak roof and I got some tar water type stains. I used some swirl X and a terry cloth and came off eith ease. Clay bar did not work. I used on paint as well as glass.

Quote Originally Posted by exia View Post
    hey thanks this helps clear things up a lot i know this is off topic but do you know if the all purpose cleaner works on scuff marks? or should i just use pine sol?
    What do you mean by scuff marks? Paint transfer or scratches?

What surface are we talking about? Paint / glass / plastic trim / interior / exterior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information