• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wetsanding fresh clear coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wetsanding fresh clear coat

I am working on spraying the rear fenders of my '53 chevy. I'm spraying it myself in my garage so needless to say there are a few dust nibs and flaws in the finished product. I am planning on wetsanding the fenders with 2000 grit to knock back the dust nibs but I'm not going to go nuts on the orange peel. Is that a good grit or should I go finer?

I have a rotary and M105 already but I need a new pad(s). Is there a recommended pad for correcting 2000 grit scratches in fresh clear? I can't image it would be all that hard if I work on it a couple days after I spray it.

Also, is it necessary to follow the 105 with 205? If so, is there a recommended pad for that? I've been reading threads for hours, and its getting very confusing.

Thanks!

Re: Wetsanding fresh clear coat

I would check with your paint supplier to see how long you need to wait before wet sanding or any paint correction. With some Clear coats you need to wait 30 days or longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark58 View Post
      I would check with your paint supplier to see how long you need to wait before wet sanding or any paint correction. With some Clear coats you need to wait 30 days or longer.
      The spec sheet for the clear coat says it has an 8 hour dry time before it can be sanded with 1500 or finer.

Comment

In that case try a test panel. if you are using 105 I would use Yellow cutting pad and for 205 for polishing I would use Blue. Now that's only my opinion.

Comment

You could also refine the sanding with 3000 grit paper. It would make it easier to remove sanding marks saving time while buffing out.

M105 with either wool (like Meguiar's W4000 or W5000 double sided) or foam cutting pad and a rotary buffer would work best to remove the sanding marks.

Then M205 with yellow polishing pad as swirl removal and M205 again with black finishing pad for gloss restoration would be a good follow up.

Also Meguiar's So1o System is designed to work on fresh paint with just one liquid (M86 Cut & Polish Cream) and wool/ foam cutting/ polishing pads:

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');