• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I waxed/clayed yesterday but am not happy with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I waxed/clayed yesterday but am not happy with it.

For starters, I have a 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler.

Yesterday I decided to try out the the NXT techwax 2.0

I first washed and dried with mothers gold (sorry treason i know) Next I clayed the entire vehicle and compunded a couple of scratches.

Masked off the plastic and proceeded to wax.

I am not happy with the result. In the past I used the #26 High Tech which is fantastic andbi have a gallon of it. I want to return the tech wax and use the #26 again.

Basically my question is do I need to remove the techwax and reclay the car or can I just give it a good wash and wipe then go right over it with the #26?

Re: I waxed/clayed yesterday but am not happy with it.

Welcome to Meguiar's Online, Neighbor.

I guess you like natural carnauba waxes better than synthetic ones. They give warm natural look.

You could just go ahead and top NxT Tech Wax 2.0 with M26 without any problem.

Clay bars remove wax layer.

Comment

As far as the product working, you can put #26 right over top.

If it will look the same as #26 on its own is hard to say.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The #26 just did a far superior job of covering minor scratches anyesterday and had a great shine on the black paint.

Im not sure I really feel like claying the entire vehicle again after I just did it yesterday.

Comment

Sounds like a paint cleaner may be more helpful than clay...

But you can just QD a panel, put the #26 on, and see if it looks as good over the Nxt as you are used to.

Comment

Are you saying clay a small portion and compare the two waxes side by side? Or just clean a small area.

Way actually is in the QD spray im almost out.

Comment

I'm just saying do whatever you feel like to a small spot or panel first...

Dont do the whole car with #26, then look at it and wish you had removed the Nxt. Or go through removing the Nxt if you didnt have to.

Comment

Would the "cleaner wax" remove wax at all or it'd a waste of time?

I only did one layer of nxt. How vigorous do I need to be with clay to take it off? Will a few light sweeps do it?

Comment

I think the Cleaner/Wax would be more useful at this point before the #26. However you may like to make sure you like the look of Cleaner/Wax followed by #26.

Nothing wrong with being picky, but dont want you to do the whole thing and not be happy again.

Comment

If I remove the nxt should I still use the cleaner wax or just go right for the 26?

How difficult is it to remove the wax with clay? Im just not sure if it is worth the elbow grease to get it off if it isn't an easy job.

If I just want to go over the nxt should I bother with the cleaner wax?

I assume I should do a quick wash and dry prior to waxing.

Comment

You are kind of looking at a few different steps, that work a little differently. So might be a little confusion there.

The clay just glides across the surface, picking up any high spots. That would usually be bonded on dirt, or wax that is sticking up for whatever reason. It will not remove wax, dirt, etc from the pores, imperfections, etc.

A cleaning step will remove 'regular' dirt and wax from the paint surface, and pores, imperfections. If strong enough, applied properly, a cleaner can also remove defects, like swirls.

So clay can remove wax, but might not get all of it. And also may not get all the dirt.

As far as your process, you could just do the Cleaner/Wax and then #26. Or you could look into a paint cleaner followed by a coat of two of #26. Or you could stick with the clay and #26.

But using the Cleaner/Wax would bring in some of that cleaning step, which is good.

Comment

thank you for being so unbelievably helpful.

So it sounds like the best bet would be

Wash dry
                        Cleaner wax
                        #26 one maybe two coats?

I literally just clayed the entire car yesterday completely smooth I doubt its worth wasting my time to do again.

Also, it only has 6000 miles on it I probably should not be going too crazy on removing defects on such young paint... probably should wait a year or two for that?

Comment

Yeah, in most cases, you would use a 'paint cleaning' type product more than you would clay.

Meguiars recommends two thin coats of wax. So the Cleaner/Wax would count as one coat. One coat or two of #26 is up to you.

You can remove the defects whenever you feel like it... the key is not putting them back in.

People on here with daily drivers will often use a mild paint cleaner several times a year more for the dirt, then maybe a strong cleaner every 1-1.5 years to kind of get the 'bigger' defects.

And yeah you want to work on a clean surface. So can either QD/wash if doing a test spot, or wash the whole thing at once since you were running low on QD.

Comment

Well I wouldn't be removing the original coat of nxt anywhere in there so wouldn't that be

One nxt
                            Two cleaner
                            Three #26?

Am I better off just getting a thing of paint cleaner and starting over the proper way lol...

I am never going to have a defect free car. Its black for starters and I work in new york city. I do have swirl marks everywhere .. I need to get a wash mitt I've been using a brush.

Comment

You may like...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');