• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Cayenne, paint correction & Opti-Guard protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Cayenne, paint correction & Opti-Guard protection

2011 Cayenne, paint correction & Opti-Guard protection

The owner of this vehicle contacted me last winter about getting his new Porsche into the condition it should be. As you can see it had some significant wash induced marring and a few RIDS thanks to the dealers “hand washing”.

Process:
    Washing - Foam bath with CGCW at paint prep ration and 2BM wash
    Wheels - Sonax Full Effect Wheel cleaner on wheels with various brushes
    Claying - Meguiar’s clay and ONR as lube
    Paint Correction step 1 - Meguiars M105 via DA and Surbuf pads
    Paint Correction step 2 - Meguiars M105 via DA and Meguiar’s MF pads
    Paint Correction step 3 - Meguiars M205 via DA and LC tangerine foam pads
    Prep for coating – Foam bath with CGCW and Optimum Power Clean followed by an IPA wipe-down
    Paint protection – Optimum Opti-Guard, applied with foam applicator. (All paint, trim, and wheel coated)

The paint on this Porsche was actually VERY hard, which is not what I’ve typically experienced with Porsche paint and correction was slow going. I had to make several passes with the Surbuf pads/M105 to remove some of the deeper defects. The initial step finished down pretty well but did leave a slight haze and a LOT of dust. My second step with M105 and MF pads was to remove the marring and to chase down any remaining deep scratches…this left the paint pretty much LSP ready and the final finishing step with M205 went pretty quick.

Before pics

Sonax doing its job.

Paint condition

Deep scratches

50/50 shots after just the Surbuf….pics didn’t turn out very well.

After M105 on the MF pads

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: 2011 Cayenne, paint correction & Opti-Guard protection

Finished pics

Sun pics…finally!

Thanks for looking!

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Nice job Chad!!! I can't believe that the paint is in bad shape for a 2011. I'm sure the owner was really happy.

How would you compare the Surfbuf to the MF pads?
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
        Nice job Chad!!! I can't believe that the paint is in bad shape for a 2011. I'm sure the owner was really happy.

How would you compare the Surfbuf to the MF pads?
        Thanks Marc!

The Surbuf seem to have a little more cut, at least on this paint, but they generate a ridiculous amount of dust. The MF pads were cutting pretty well, left no dust, and finished very well. However, this was a large vehicle and with the Surbuf pads you want to apply very light pressure to keep the fingers from curling, where the MF pads like more pressure. To keep my arms from falling off I decided it was in my best interest to use the Surbuf on this car given the paint hardness.
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');