• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone detail the engine of an 05 Mustang or 05 Impala?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone detail the engine of an 05 Mustang or 05 Impala?

Hi all,

I'd like to clean the engine bays of both of my cars this summer and I was just wondering what I need to cover up before spraying with water? I love cars but I'm not mechanically inclined so I want to make sure I don't cause a problem. I could probably get pix if you want.

Also would Meguiars engine degreaser and maybe the dressing be all you need or do you need other products to do it properly as well?

Thanks

Re: Anyone detail the engine of an 05 Mustang or 05 Impala?

Also, the impala has a dirty as heck engine bay from 74,000 miles of driving so for that I know I'll need the super degreaser I'm guessing, but my mustang is a pleasure car with only lite dirt on the engine. Has anyone used that new Meguiars spray engine cleaner thats a new product this year? Would that be good just for cleaning light dirt or should I stick to the degreaser?
    Last edited by Andy M.; May 11, 2011, 05:43 PM. Reason: language edit-Andy M.

Comment

when I was at the sacramento auto rama I talked to one of the megs sales reps he sead that the new engine cleaner was pritty mild but I have not tried it, I think it would work on your mustang, whare the buld up would not be as bad.

for the impala if its like my engine bay I think super degreser is your best bet.
      2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
      1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
      1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
      1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
      1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

I have an 07 mustang and I always wait till it cools down then just cover your alternator up with a grocery bag and your distributor too. Then I rinse the engine down quick with a small amount of water. Spray the engine down with a degreaser of some kind. Use a brush to get all the dirt then rinse the engine off being careful not to use a bunch of water. Then if you want spray the entire engine bay with protectant and then start your car and wash the exterior of the car and then after you have washed your open the hood back up and touch up any little spots you might have missed. Hope that helps !

Comment

^ Like they said make sure the engine is cold and cover all electrics.
          I like using the expandable food bags to cover starter/alternator/battery etc.
          Mist with 1:1 simple green or if it's real bad an engine degreaser may be needed.
          Then as long as the electrics are covered "lightly" mist with water to remove cleaners.

Merlin - A Miracle Detailing

YouTube - Facebook - - Instagram

Comment

I do about one or two engine washes a month and have never covered anything with plastic. Modern wiring connectors are pretty well sealed anyway but you obviously don't spray high pressure water directly at them. I just go to a self service car wash and bring a can of engine degreaser like Gunk. No need to let the engine cool, the instructions even say to warm up engine first. Then spray the engine, engine compartment as well as the underside of the hood with the Gunk. Depending on how dirty the car is, you may need very little Gunk, up to maybe a third of the can. Let it soak 5 minutes then blast it with the high pressure hose on the soap setting, then finish off with straight water.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');