• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timed Test -- Tech Wax vs. Spray Booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timed Test -- Tech Wax vs. Spray Booster

Vehicle: One Big Black Hemi

Spray Booster: Applied with a microfiber covered pad. Removed with two microfiber polishing cloths -- 50 minutes

Tech wax: Applied with PC and CMA polishing pad (edges and close places done by hand with NXT pad). Removed with PC and a Meguiar's microfiber bonnet followed by hand buffing with a microfiber polishing cloth -- 58 minutes (including getting all of the "stuff" ready)

Temperature and humidity were the same for both applications.

By the way, I always apply the tech wax with a polishing pad. Even though it is not intended to be a one-step product, I've had very good luck in using it as one. But then my vehicles are always in good shape to start with.

Tom

Thanks for timing your project Tom. Waxing with NXT seemed as quick or quicker than using booster spray. I guess I was wrong but not by much.

On a side note can the booster be removed with the PC and UB too? I'm guessing it could. My booster spray has been collecting dust on the shelf.

Comment

I prefer to just use the NXT wax over my booster, like scrub its sitting on the shelf.

If it were all by hand (NXT as well) I would think the booster would then be faster.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I suppose it depends on what level you intend on using the booster wax.

I've used it a few times now, and I've never rubbed it in. I've quickly spread it over the car, waited 5 mins and started to rub it off (with assistance from Final Inspection) from where I started.

IMHO if I wash the car every fortnight and apply a coat of booster wax at the same time, and then polish and wax every two months, there is no need for a thorough "work-in" of the booster wax into the paint. After all is it a booster, not a proper application, so using the same effort would be a waste.

Only issue I have with the NXT Spray Wax is the paint is VERY static.

Comment

Hey,

Interesting discussion!

I guess it depends on a person's preference. I prefer just to add another coat of NXT Tech Wax.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Tim and others,

That's what I plan to do. I sure gave the Spray Wax plenty of chances. I think that I'll just use the new NXT QD when I want to add a little "extra" after a wash.

A sort of a problem with a fresh application of Tech Wax -- dust. Even though I went over the surface of my truck by hand using a microfiber polishing cloth after the intial buffing with the pc and microfiber bonnet, dust collected on my drive into work. A bunch of it and the pattern of the vibrating pc was really noticeable. Time to get out the QEW.

Tom

Comment

I have worked on my technique over the past couple of weeks and can now do my entire truck in under 20 mins. I simply spray directly on the truck on the large panels and spread quickly. I spray directly on the towel and get the rest of the areas. I do the entire vehicle and then go around and remove.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
                I have worked on my technique over the past couple of weeks and can now do my entire truck in under 20 mins. I simply spray directly on the truck on the large panels and spread quickly. I spray directly on the towel and get the rest of the areas. I do the entire vehicle and then go around and remove.
                Any problems with not spreading the product thin enough? The booster spray seems tough to remove when applied to thick. Sounds good and I might give that a try. Thanks

Comment

I had problems with spreading it unevenly at first buy I found that if I quarter my mf towel and flip after my initial wipe, then go over it again it really helps to evenly coat the surface. I notice that my 20 year old SS toyota paint seems to streak no matter what product i use, even S100 especially on the hood. There are spots where i have to follow up nxt spray wax, as well as any wax for that matter with a qd to remove the streaking.

Comment

I use the PC and a finishing pad to apply the Booster. Quick and no worries about 'too thick' of an application
                    Don
                    12/27/2015
                    "Darth Camaro"
                    2013 Camaro ... triple black
                    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                      I use the PC and a finishing pad to apply the Booster. Quick and no worries about 'too thick' of an application
                      Good idea there. Thanks for the info !

Comment

I tried using a pc to apply the Spray Booster once. IMO, you might as well use the Tech Wax if you go to the trouble of getting out the pc.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil
                          I tried using a pc to apply the Spray Booster once. IMO, you might as well use the Tech Wax if you go to the trouble of getting out the pc.

Tom
                          True. I like the fact of a new protective barrier each time I wax rather than boosting the degrading barrier from the previous waxing.

Comment

I still prefer the "apply it wet" technique. I'm 99% sure I read somewhere when the booster wax first came out that you can use it as a wax-as-you-dry product. I thought I read that on the first bottle I purchased, but I have since been unable to find that description. In any case, I get excellent results when I use this technique. The paint has more gloss and is as smooth as glass after I dry w/ the NXT booster applied. The only downfall of this technique is the need to buff the vehicle w/ a microfiber after everything is all dried off. But, as this is required for the dry application as well, it's really not an issue. Entire process adds about 10-15 minutes to my car wash routine (extra buff), but the results are well worth it! I tried to apply the booster on a dry car once, and as others have stated, total time was pretty close to a regular wax application and removal (speaking in terms of #20, haven't tried NXT wax yet).

Oh yeah, as a result of dragging my absorber through the booster and then over my windows, I must say that NXT booster on glass makes the glass, well, as smooth as glass!
                            1999 Ford Contour SVT
                            Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
                            1966/2760

Comment

Because of this post I gave the spray wax another shot a couple days ago when I washed my truck in the garage. Took 25 min or so to apply and remove the results were good but not as good as the NXT Wax.

Last time I used it I remember trouble removing it and this time I had no such trouble applied it very thin in 60-65 degree temps. and used lots of MF to remove it.
                              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');