• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotary polishing, the love affair with the old school buffer ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary polishing, the love affair with the old school buffer ......

I have been blessed by the Lord to be in a profession that I love. To date I have been fortunate enough to polish out rare classic cars, exotics, vintage aircraft.......the list goes on. I am thankful for every second of it!

I have spent countless hours behind the "wheel" of a polisher (buffer). I have fallen in love with them. The polisher in my hand is an extension of me.

My first polisher was a Milwaukee with a red plastic housing. Model number 5540 or there about. She was 11 amps of loud, heavy machinery but it felt great to use it.

I had an intimate sort of relationship with her over the 15 or so years that I "grind-ed" on paint with it. Yes the long nights in cold dark dirty body shops were at times unpleasant. My back would hurt, forearms would go numb and if I didn't wear hearing protection my ears would suffer but I was in my zone. I knew if I kept up the dance with Miss Milwaukee we would be rewarded with a flawless finish and a brilliant shine that will draw accolades from all that had the privilege to see it. She was no thrills. She was set at 1750 RPM. When you pulled the trigger she was on like a top fuel dragsters hot shot. I was more comfortable with her in my hands "rubbing" out a perfect finish than I was using a fork and knife to eat with.

Sadly a number of years ago she was stolen. I can only hope that she is loved by whoever possesses her as much as I did.

Miss Milwaukee...

I "replaced" (she can never truly be replaced) Miss Milwaukee with a DeWalt DW849 about 10 -12 years or so ago. It is a fine machine (I own six of them now as DeWalts and under various private labels) but it doesn't have the classic look and feel of the old school polisher.

I had to have another in my arsenal so...............
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Re: Rotary polishing, the love affair with the old school buffer ......

Recently I obtained "Grandma Milly" Miss Milwaukee's grandmother.

She was born the "MILWAUKEE SUPER SERVICE POLISHER" and is every bit as beautiful as anything you would find in one of those fancy European art museums. She weights a ton and is loud but is all business. She wears her battle scares proudly. She runs perfect and has plenty of RPMs left in her.

She works her magic at a set 1450RMPs. She is almost entirely made of metal. Notice the side handle is made of wood.

The gear lock is a push button mounted on the side.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I was so happy to have the Super Service Polisher that I started to look for other old school polishers.

Meet "Miss Crafty" She was born, " CRAFTSMAN COMMERCIAL POLISHER." She doesn't look bad for her age. Obviously she has been treated very well. I doubt she has served hard time like Grandma Milly but she still is a beauty.

Her handle is also made of wood. It is in pristine condition as it appears to have had little use. She is rated as having 1 horse power and is set at 1950 RPMs.

In order to lock the gear to remove or install and polishing backing plate or pad a screw drive is inserted into a channel then through the spindle shaft to hold it in place. So what kind of screw drive is best..... a Craftsman of course.

Comment

Next in my collection is "Miss Betty Davis" She was born simply as, "7 inch AUTOMATIC POLISHER" She is a small polisher. At 2.5 amps she was specifically created for the "BLACK AND DECKER ELECTRIC POLISHING METHOD"

Notice her side handle is metal in a lovely tear drop shape.

I happen to have a brochure on the Black and Decker electric polishing method. In the brochure you can see Miss Betty Davis (or one of her sisters) as the STAR of the show.

Comment

those are definetly keeping a hold of .....whats the weight on those just curious?

Comment

The next lovely lady is "Miss Clark" She was born, "CLARK TU-SPEDE" and was manufactured by "JAS CLARK JR. ELECTRIC COMPANY, INC."

She has served her time well judging solely by her appearance. She still runs strong. She has to be the heaviest of the gals. Her unique feature is a rod you pull to transition from 3500 "sanding" RPM to 900 "polishing" RPM.

Her brass tag is gorgeous. She also wears a wooden handle.

Here is the rod that is pulled to switch speeds from 900 to 3500 RPM. She is my first and only "stick shift" buffer!!

A screw driver is inserted into the shaft to hold the gear for pad or backing plate changes.

Comment

Miss Van Dorn has to be the most unique of the ladies. She was born the " Van Dorn Automatic Polisher"

Between the handle and the motor is a reservoir that one would fill with their product of choice (Meguiars of course). The product is then drawn out of the reservoir by pumping a thumb actuated button and sent up a tube that will dispense product out through the center of the shaft!!! Now how cool is that!?!?!

Add your polish here....

Pump the button....

Polish exits the shaft... I guess a special polishing pad with a hole in the center was used

A wrench is used to hold the shaft on Miss Van Dorn.

Comment

So there are the "girls" I have another on it's way to me now as I post this. I will be sure to introduce you to her when she arrives.

I don't plan on polishing or restoring any of the polishers. They have all earned their patina and I'll keep 'em that way.

Here is a picture of my newest polisher, The FLEX PE-14 with two of the old girls.

Comment

Nice collection, Joe!

Hope the gals all knew about each other and didn't meet for the first time in this thread!

Comment

The Van Dorn is an interesting tool and I hadn't heard of them, so I googled them and, as I'm sure you know, they were acquired by Black and Decker in 1928.

I was amazed by your collection I had seen on another of your threads, but this part of your collection is impressive. Those American Picker guys will be knocking on your door.

Thanks for sharing.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    David

Comment

That's incredible... polishers that date back to 1928 (or even before). Great collection, Joe! They look really heavy with their all-metal construction.

Comment

Great read Joe!

Thank you.

Bill

Comment

Cool stuff Joe! Really nice collection!
                          Tedrow's Detailing
                          845-642-1698
                          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Nice little story you put together for us to read about while you showed the pictures. I enjoyed it with a cup of coffee.
                            Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                            2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                            2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Very nice collection and super cool story, Joe.

Thanks for sharing your passion with us. I know that the future will add many more unforgettable chapters to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');