• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Advice or Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Advice or Warnings

Continuing in my journey of detailing, I interviewed to get this job. I packed an iPad with some photos of a recently completed project and met the owner for lunch and he graciously or was it cautiously agreed to allow me to work on his prized Corvette.

I'm seeking any advice or more importantly any warnings regarding swirl removal on this 2000, black, hard-top Corvette. The car is not a garage queen nor a daily driver, as he enjoys driving it often and drove it over to my house to review it's current condition. It was moderately bugged up in front, mild swirls all over and no major scratches. The five-spoke chrome rims looked like good candidates for the new Dyna-Cone system. The four exhaust tips will be easy to reach too.

I get it a week from today (Sunday) and have four days to bring it to a glorious reflective condition. I'll be using the traditional system and products and not the new DA MF system. I'll use Ultimate Wax to finish up.

I'm soliciting any advice and warnings you can offer, thanks.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Re: Seeking Advice or Warnings

I have only done of these body style Vettes and its paint was rock hard but a lot of the defects were not visible under most lighting since it was yellow.

The wheels should polish up nice as long as they are not pitted or corroded.

Everyone has their favorite type of vehicle to work on but sports cars & Corvettes are not one of mine.

I am sure you will do an excellent job David.

Sorry if I seem negative LOL.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I'm sure you'll do a great job!

Why not the Microfiber System?
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Corvettes have usually super hard paint.

David, do you need to leave the paint in show car shape?

I have the same question like Shawn: why eliminate DA MF Correction System? If you are not planning to use a rotary buffer I think you may take advantage of The System and stretch it to more polishing steps if needed.

Comment

Thanks Nick and Shawn for the comments.

I had read about hard paint, this could be my first "rock hard".

Granted there is a mystic about cars like this. I'm thankful I will only need to move it twice. I'm used to getting in and out of an SUV, a little higher off the ground. I only hope to spend a few hours a day stooped over working on the hood. Ahhh Tylenol.

I still have a lot of traditional supplies to use up and I prefer to experiment on my own car before trying the DA MF on someone else's. I haven't purchased a DA MF starter kit yet. Credit card is trying to jump out of my pocket every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
            Thanks Nick and Shawn for the comments.

I had read about hard paint, this could be my first "rock hard".

Granted there is a mystic about cars like this. I'm thankful I will only need to move it twice. I'm used to getting in and out of an SUV, a little higher off the ground. I only hope to spend a few hours a day stooped over working on the hood. Ahhh Tylenol.

I still have a lot of traditional supplies to use up and I prefer to experiment on my own car before trying the DA MF on someone else's. I haven't purchased a DA MF starter kit yet. Credit card is trying to jump out of my pocket every day.
            Alright, that makes more sense then. I thought you had the system available and you just weren't using it.

I guess it will take a good bit of experimentation but I would give UC a shot. If I remember correctly, there was a Saturday Garage thread where Stoops used UC on a W8207 pad on speed 5 and achieved some very good defect removal. You might not need to go as aggressive as you may think.

BTW, UW on that thing will look slick as heck!!!
            Tedrow's Detailing
            845-642-1698
            Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I've been using UP and M21 on that type of GM wheel with really good results just using an old mf towel and elbow grease. The dynacone and UP then a coat of sealant would look nice. Even after the rain and pollen, 3 weeks later I can just take a damp towel and wipe my wheels down taking off almost all the gunk thats been slung around them.

Comment

I'm doing an '07 vette on Monday but it has a custom paint job.......Ill let you kinow how it turns out.....

Comment

how bout 105/205 combo?

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
                    Corvettes have usually super hard paint.

David, do you need to leave the paint in show car shape?
                    I think the owner and I too, expect a show car finish. I usually say I'm able to do 80-90% defect removal. Running a Brinkmann over it during the inspection I saw nothing I shouldn't be able to remove other than some damage (rock chips) behind the wheels. If the swirls are removed or reduced I know UltPolish and UltWax will look great.

Originally posted by Romad81 View Post
                    I've been using UP and M21 on that type of GM wheel with really good results just using an old mf towel and elbow grease. The dynacone and UP then a coat of sealant would look nice. Even after the rain and pollen, 3 weeks later I can just take a damp towel and wipe my wheels down taking off almost all the gunk thats been slung around them.
                    Thanks this information it is very helpful. The Dyna-Cone kit comes with All Metal Polish do you feel there is a difference or advantage to either AMP or UltPolish. Can one be used after the other to further refine the chrome?

Originally posted by visaliaipa View Post
                    I'm doing an '07 vette on Monday but it has a custom paint job.......Ill let you kinow how it turns out.....
                    Have some great success and let us know how it goes!

Originally posted by stephensdetail View Post
                    how bout 105/205 combo?
                    This is my first rock hard clear so I'm not sure if I will need to go to 105. Will do a couple of test areas on the "trunk" lid. I'll have 105-205 and UltCompound, SwirlX, UltPolish available.

Really getting the impression ColorX is not going to cut it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    David

Comment

Thanks this information it is very helpful. The Dyna-Cone kit comes with All Metal Polish do you feel there is a difference or advantage to either AMP or UltPolish. Can one be used after the other to further refine the chrome?
                      The All-Metal Polish is for metal... So if the wheels were painted, you wouldnt want to use it. Hard to tell from the pics, and I havent been up close with one. You would want to confirm if the wheels are coated, etc. Or do a small test spot when you get it.

Really getting the impression ColorX is not going to cut it.
                      Probably not...
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Can't wait to see the pics! You're going to do great!
                        -----

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');