• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The right way to use Scratch X 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right way to use Scratch X 2.0

Hi everyone, I am new to car detailing. I bought a new 2010 Nissan Cube (sapphire black) back in October 2010 and now that spring is in the air, I've invested in a few of Meguiar's product (I've heard about them and want to give these products a try...). I am looking for easy to use products that give results!

That's why I bought Scratch X 2.0 (yes, there are already scratches on my dark cube, which is known to be very easy to scratch...). Anyways, I've tried it today and found it great apart from one thing. I've noticed the finish on the paint where I've used Scratch X 2.0 is not as glossy as where I have not used it. Is it normal that it removes the gloss of the finish? I've sprayed a bit of detailer and it seems to help. Is it better to use the product then wax the car? Can I just spray some detailer on the car after using Scratch X? I just want to make sure I don't damage the paint... Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Re: The right way to use Scratch X 2.0

How are you applying it so far, what with?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would go over in with some m07 then nxt or uw
      Am i obsessed?? A car is the second biggest financial investment for most people, why not keep it looking better than new?

Comment

I am applying it with a circular pad (same as the one to apply the wax with).

I do have the NXT generation tex wax also but don't want to have to do it all the time...

I am sorry but what is m07 and uw?

I am also wondering if anyone has experienced the same "problem" (loss of gloss on the paint) with the Scratch X product? Is it because the Scratch X 2.0 removes any wax previously done on the car (there was a wax put on 6 months ago by the Nissan dealer just before winter...). Thanks!

Comment

m07 is show car glaze and has no cutting power. It is basically "lotion or oil" for your paint. And uw is ultimate wax. You shouldnt have to do it everytime if you are maintaining properly. you may want to do some research on "how to wash your car" on here. Sorry i dont have a link. If done properly you shouldnt get many swirls if any at all.
          Am i obsessed?? A car is the second biggest financial investment for most people, why not keep it looking better than new?

Comment

It may happen after using ScratchX 2.0 that the area becomes dull. Mostly on delicate paints.

Is your applicator a foam one? I want to make sure you don't use terry cotton.

M07 Show Car Glaze is a pure polish. It has very rich polishing oils so it can restore gloss very effectively.

UW stands for Ultimate Wax, Meguiar's newest protection product.

Next Tech Wax 2.0 also has some polishing oils capable of restoring gloss.

Comment

I think you will want to get the car out in the light, and take a good look at the dull spots. Try to see if it is dull because there are very fine swirls/haxe left behind.

ScrathcX itself should not make the paint dull, unless some kind of marks were left behind or some reason. Could be the ScratchX was a bit stronger than you needed.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Scratch X 2.0 is not really wax. It will restore a finish but if want a nice high gloss you need to use something like NXT wax
                .You will not hurt your car by using NXT more than once in a short period. It's designed to be used often if needed.You might want to get a the clay kit to remove surface level contaminants. Use Scratch X again and then apply NXT wax and let it cure for awhile. 12 hours is recommend but I have had wonderful results with only a few . I have a Scion XB that scratches easy too

Comment

Just to note... this thread is a question, not an article on how to use the product, so technically it should be posted to the Detailing 101 forum group not in a forum group for how-to information.

Great question, just the wrong place to post it.

This is an old and short video clip, but it does show the technique for applying any hand applied product designed to abrade the finish with the goal of removing enough paint to remove defects and then polish out clear.

How to apply and work a hand-applied paint cleaner

Most people that are new to detailing apply a paint cleaner slowly like applying a "Finishing Wax", but that's not how you remove any paint. Then after using some pressure you have to lessen your pressure or re-apply fresh product with less pressure to "finish out" for a nice look. Polishing "clear coat paints" by hand is trickier than most people know and ScratchX and products like Ultimate Compound with their SMAT technology are some of the few products on the market that you can do this successfully with.

Remember, polishing paint is an art form, not a grinding process. You need to include the human elements of care and passion "plus" a clean, smooth application pad, a clean dry microfiber towel to wipe off the excess etc.

You don't let paint cleaners dry, you work them against the paint and then wipe them off while they're still wet.

The you need to do another step, the paint cleaner is only for "prepping the surface", afterwards you can polish and wax or simply wax.

It's a lot easier, faster and more effective to get a DA Polisher and do all your correction work by machine because clear coat paints are hard to work on just because they are clear but also because they tend to be hard and when you work by "hand" you're not really working by hand, you're working with your 4 fingers pushing down on a wax applicator pad and this creates pressure points and this can lead to an imperfect looking finish especially if you're new to hand abrading paint.

Myself and others on this forum like Mike Pennington, Mike Stoops as well as forum members have been polishing clear coats by hand for years and due to this you build up a certain level of skill and then you can do two things,

• Make it look easy
                  • Get great results

But working on clear coat paints by hand does require a learning curve, especially if you're trying to remove defects which mean remove paint.

Here's a few threads to check out...

Finger Marks

Polishable & Polishability - Paint Hardness or Softness

The Definitive ScratchX Thread Collection

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Not very happy with ScratchX

ScratchX Works! - I Stand Corrected

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Does ScratchX have fillers?

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

This is taken by another thread but it shows what I mean by working with your 4 fingers... not your "hand"

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Example of your hands ability to exert pressure
                  After applying a paint cleaner by hand to remove swirls and scratches to a car with a red single stage paint job and then turning the applicator over you can see that red pigmented paint accumulated the most where your 4 fingertips pressed down on the applicator pad. You get these same types of results when you're working on a clear coat finish by hand, (with a paint cleaner), except you can't see the accumulation of removed paint because it's clear.

As the age-old ending tag line goes...

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Also, the video in this was made when ScratchX was till made with diminishing abrasives... it works so much better with the new super micro abrasive technology.

See this thread...

What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive technology and Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive technology?

Also, I don't make a dime off the DVD, it has belonged to Richard Lin for years now... and the ShowCarGarage website is dormant.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');