• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Repair Rock Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Repair Rock Chips

Hi Guys, due to wet sanding a fair bit. I thought I would add this post.

You will need:-

Wooden cocktail sticks.
    A small pencil eraser.
    Bucket with grit guard. Grit guard optional.
    3000 grit paper. I would suggest Megs Unigrit paper. It really works well and does not clog.
    And lots of patience.
    Paint depth gauge optional.
    Cotton bud
    Good quality microfibre towels.
    Foam applicator pad

In most touch up pens you will get a little wire brush in the cap. Simply key up the stone chipped area and the surrounding. I would suggest getting a wooden cocktail stick. To remove any loose paint if there is any.

Use a cotton bud with a dab of acetone or something similar on the area to clean and make sure there is no traces of wax etc left behind.

Get a cocktail stick and break into 2. Give your touch up pen a good shake to mix up the paint. Now inside you will find a small applicator brush.

Use the brush to apply a small amount of paint to the end of the pointed part of the cocktail stick. Simply hold the cocktail stick vertically into the stone chip and allow the paint to run in. The key is less is more!!!!

Dont fill the chip in one go allow the paint to dry. And keep applying more paint untill the the chipped area is sitting slightly higher than the painted surface.

Allow to dry for 24hrs before wet sanding. Please note you are using the colour coat only not the clear.

Pics although not very clear of blobs of touch up paint on my car

Cut paper down into smaller sections to wrap around your eraser. Also If using different grades of paper make a mark on the back before you cut the paper down. To identify grades 3000/2500 etc...

Bucket with grit guard. Used spray bottle. Add to both warm water with washing up liquid and a good quality car shampoo Megs Gold Class in my case.

Allow paper to soak in bucket for at least 30 mins prior to use.

If you are sanding with varies grades always sand in the opposite direction left to right with 2500. Followed by Front to back with 3000 so you can clearly see you are sanding level.

You always want to finish with a back & forth motion.

Hold your mini sanding block at 10 o clock not 12 oclock. And sand front to back. Reason being you dont want any contaminants getting between your sanding block and paper and causing scratches.

Your spray bottle is to be used as a lubricant during sanding apply libreally and check progress after every 8-10 strokes. Wipe the surface clean with your microfibre.

If you can still see the outline of the chip or the surface is not the same colour that has been sanded carry on. With another 6-8 strokes. Wipe the surface clean with your microfibre

You will be able to feel when sanding that it gets smoother once the chip is smoothed out flat to the surface.

A correctly sanded panel should look like this.

I would suggest a medium cut compound like Meg Scratch X 2.0 and a soft foam applicator pad like the Megs one I'm using. The great thing with Megs compounds they have deminsihing abrasives and tend not to scratch. I simply appllied a small drop to a foam pad and rubbed front to back around 20 times.

Wiped clean with a clean microfibre towel and these were the results

Repeat the above process for every chip you have.

Rappy

115 microns before113 microns after

127 microns before125 microns after

I have removed 1-2 microns of paint. 25.4 microns= 1mm. Basically you are removing a very small amount of paint.

Re: How To Repair Rock Chips

Nice write up, Rappy.

I like the cocktail stick idea as those touch up brushes are always too big.

You finished everything nicely with minimum paint removal.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
      Nice write up, Rappy.

I like the cocktail stick idea as those touch up brushes are always too big.

You finished everything nicely with minimum paint removal.
      Thanks Greg . As usual least aggressive to get the job done.

Comment

If you used a clear coat touch up pen after you have done all of that, would you have to pretty much do the process over since it would probably still blob up?

Comment

Good writeup...don't know how I missed this the first time it was posted.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by soulless View Post
            If you used a clear coat touch up pen after you have done all of that, would you have to pretty much do the process over since it would probably still blob up?
            Let me see if I can write this so it will make sense...if the rock chips are more like 'little pecks' I don't clear.

IF they are more 'chip', use a tooth pick to just let a TINY drop into the 'hole', if the paint gods are working, the blob will just flatten out. Now, if the it is A CHIP...yup same process, sand, polish, wax.

The trick is to try and keep the surface flat.

Hope this helped...

Bill
            Last edited by BillE; Aug 10, 2011, 03:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Awesome........Well dedicated method (love the pencil eraser)
              And yes wood sticks is the way to go.......!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');