• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please!

I recently bought a 2001 saturn SC1 in Metallic Green as my daily driver and would like to use this as my 'guinea pig' to attempt a full detail including scratch and swirl removal.

I was wondering if anyone on MOL has worked on one of these cars and could inform me on the type of paint (hard/soft) and also the best technique for working on plastic panels and could recommend products for this project. I appreciate that every car may have a different requirement for product but as a newbie to the product line any input would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks!

Re: Advice Please!

You are working on the paint, not the plastic. So what is underneath wont matter.

Will you be working by hand?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hello, I'm newbie too. You should have D/A polisher for the beginner user. Just like me, I just bought one and it help me much. I you already have had one, you should read this article first

I guess it will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        You are working on the paint, not the plastic. So what is underneath wont matter.

Hi Matt, I hope you don't mind I'm participating

Hi Waxed. If the defect is severe I would recommend you to buy D/A polisher first, because if you do this detailing by hands it would take days to finish it and extra energy too, and the result will not satisfy to your expectation (I've been there before that's why I want to share my experience with you). But that's just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post

I was concerned that heat build up in the plastic panels would be an issue so thank you for clarifying that for me, I was thinking of buying the G110v2 to do this as at the moment I only have a 7" Simoniz rotary that I am not experienced enough to use yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefri Lay View Post

Hi Waxed. If the defect is severe I would recommend you to buy D/A polisher first, because if you do this detailing by hands it would take days to finish it and extra energy too, and the result will not satisfy to your expectation (I've been there before that's why I want to share my experience with you). But that's just my opinion
            Thanks for your input, I really didn't like the idea of doing the whole car by hand as the swirls and scratches are quite bad in places - I was intending to post a few pictures but it has started snowing again........

Comment

+1

on Jefri's recommendation to go with a DA polisher.

Comment

Hi Waxed, my daily driver is an 02 Saturn L300. For sure get the DA! I like doing the following: Clay, Ultimate Compound on the bad areas and Color X on the not so bad areas. Next day, thin coat of NXT 2.0. I maintane with UQD and a California Duster. This produces a mirror finish that lasts......looks great!!
                Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Jefri Lay View Post
                  Of course not.

Comment

Originally posted by Poki View Post
                    Hi Waxed, my daily driver is an 02 Saturn L300. For sure get the DA! I like doing the following: Clay, Ultimate Compound on the bad areas and Color X on the not so bad areas. Next day, thin coat of NXT 2.0. I maintane with UQD and a California Duster. This produces a mirror finish that lasts......looks great!!
                    Hi Poki, thank you for the information, thats a great help! One question though - why do yo wait until the next day to apply a coat of NXT 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by waxed View Post
                      I was concerned that heat build up in the plastic panels would be an issue so thank you for clarifying that for me, I was thinking of buying the G110v2 to do this as at the moment I only have a 7" Simoniz rotary that I am not experienced enough to use yet.
                      If you were to improperly use a rotary buffer, the plastic getting warm is the least of the problems... But as mentioned, you shouldnt be using a rotary anyway.

Are you sure the Simoniz is a rotary?

Comment

Originally posted by waxed View Post
                        Hi Poki, thank you for the information, thats a great help! One question though - why do yo wait until the next day to apply a coat of NXT 2.0?
                        A 24 hour cure time between coats of wax is for best looks.

Not possible for everyone of course, but nice if you can do it. Waiting 15 minutes at least is nice, and will get you 09-95% of the way there.

Comment

Thanks again for the advice, really appreciate the input!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');