• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DA versus rotary New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA versus rotary New Car

I have a car that's less than a year old. In bright sunshine you can see a lot of swirl marks. I've tried the PC 7424, and swirl x, scratch X, Ultimate compound, with an orange cutting pad, and doesn't seem to work. Is it time for a rotary and 105? (yes, I've taken both beginner and advance classes @ Irvine HQ)
    2011 335i M Sport Coupe
    2011 535i Sport
    2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Re: DA versus rotary New Car

1) How big of an area are you working on at a time?
    2) did you follow up with any other pad after the orange pad? (I'm assuming the orange pad is a cutting pad)
    3) What speed were you using on the PC7424
    Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
    www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
    Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Try #105 on a Surbuf pad with a small area, about 12"x12".

...or you can wait until the new Meguiar's DA pad comes to market.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemin8r View Post
        1) How big of an area are you working on at a time?
        2) did you follow up with any other pad after the orange pad? (I'm assuming the orange pad is a cutting pad)
        3) What speed were you using on the PC7424
        1. 2'x2'
        2. yes, white polishing pad (lake country and swirl x), made no difference.
        3. 4 or 5.

The car does not exhibit swirls in most light, but it bright sunlight you can definitely see them. Is that the best it's gonna get, or will a rotary and 105/205 wool pads necessary to get at hard German paint (BMW)?
        2011 335i M Sport Coupe
        2011 535i Sport
        2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Comment

Maybe a Thursday night session could help?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Is it BMW's non-metallic Jet Black?

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Maybe a Thursday night session could help?
              I've taken both beginner and advance classes @ Irvine HQ.

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
              Is it BMW's non-metallic Jet Black?
              Alpine White, non metallic.
              2011 335i M Sport Coupe
              2011 535i Sport
              2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Comment

Mmmm alpine white. I have never had any issues detailing white cars. Now black german paint I know all about.

I can only comment on Meguiars products. And by reading this thread you are no stranger to detailing.

I assume you have done the usual clay the car. And tap off a small area? How long have you worked the product for? And was the panel cool before you started using your d/a?

I find a yellow megs pad on speed 5 will be good enough for 99% of the jobs I have come across.

Can you post some pics? As I would be interested to see your results.

Have you tried refining the finish with swirl x on a black meg pad at speed 5 for a few passes then stepping down to speed 3 for a further few passes?

It could be you have murred the paint.

Hth's

Rappy

Comment

Originally posted by rapport25 View Post
                  I assume you have done the usual clay the car. And tap off a small area? How long have you worked the product for? And was the panel cool before you started using your d/a?
                  Correct, taped of small area, and worked the product in for a while. Yes panel was cool to the touch.
                  Have you tried refining the finish with swirl x on a black meg pad at speed 5 for a few passes then stepping down to speed 3 for a further few passes?
                  I've tried just about every combo of pad and Meguiars polish you can think of and a PC. You can't see the swirls unless it's under direct sunlight and you're looking for it.
                  Is this as good as it's gonna get?
                  Am I trying to be too ambitious or is the rotary in order?

2011 335i M Sport Coupe
                  2011 535i Sport
                  2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Comment

Originally posted by TJPark01 View Post
                    1. 2'x2'
                    2. yes, white polishing pad (lake country and swirl x), made no difference.
                    3. 4 or 5.

The car does not exhibit swirls in most light, but it bright sunlight you can definitely see them. Is that the best it's gonna get, or will a rotary and 105/205 wool pads necessary to get at hard German paint (BMW)?
                    rather than the 2x2 area go down to 18x18 or even 12x12 as mentioned.
                    I see you now mention it was a "white polishing pad" which may not be aggressive enough.

I see you're in LA in which we may not be far from each other. If you need help maybe we can try out some products and dial in a method let me know and we can meet up to do a test spot. A wool pad, 105 and rotory may be too aggressive. PM me if your interested.
                    Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                    www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                    Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Its very hard to see on those pics. Nice car by the way

Could do with some close up shots. And Mr Stoops or other guys with more knowledge offering some advise and help as what I suggested was thanks to Mr Stoops and worked for me

Comment

Its very hard to see on those pics. Nice car by the way

Could do with some close up shots. And Mr Stoops or other guys with more knowledge offering some advise and help as what I suggested was thanks to Mr Stoops and worked for me
                        Thanks. Pics wont do any good on a white car, it's way too hard to see. I've heard it's really hard paint, which is why a foam pad/DA and 105/205 can only go so far.
                        2011 335i M Sport Coupe
                        2011 535i Sport
                        2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Comment

The paint does tend to be very hard on those cars. I recently worked on a 528i, but in Carbon Black. The paint was very hard but with M105 on a orange or cyan LC pad, you should be able to remove light to moderate swirls. If not, M105 and Surbuf pads will. I'd say stick with what you have for now, try working in smaller sections and increase pressure while using a speed of 6.

I did go the rotary route on the car I was working with as it had etched in water spots.
                          The majority of consumers under estimate the difficulty associated with removing etched-in spots on a vehicle finish caused by the minerals in hard water. Read more on how Rasky tackles this daunting task on a black 2010 BMW 528i.

I'd hit Jessie up on his offer if you can too.
                          Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Yes I can imagine being white.

I know you say you have tried every combo.

For me on hard paint. Bmw or VW

Meg yellow pad with ultimate compound on a 12"x12" area until I'm happy with the results. Then refine the finish If required.

Its all down to personal choice. What level is acceptable to you. How much do you want to refine the finish?

On my black pearl. And really hard paint. I have found:-

Ultimate compound on meg yellow pad.
                            Followed by swirl x on a meg yellow pad.
                            Followed by swirl x on a meg black pad.
                            Followed by dc01 on a meg black pad.
                            Followed by Dc02 on a meg black pad.
                            Followed by nxt tech wax 2.0

But I'm a bit ocd with my own car and god it shows .

My last detail was 40 hrs.

Rappy

Have you tried

Ultimate compound on meg yellow pad.
                            Followed by swirl x on a meg yellow pad.
                            Followed by swirl x on a meg black pad.
                            Followed by dc01 on a meg black pad.
                            Followed by Dc02 on a meg black pad. or ultimate polish
                            Followed by nxt tech wax 2.0 or ulitmate wax?

I would suggest giving this a go and doing a 50/50 on the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                              The paint does tend to be very hard on those cars. I recently worked on a 528i, but in Carbon Black. The paint was very hard but with M105 on a orange or cyan LC pad, you should be able to remove light to moderate swirls. If not, M105 and Surbuf pads will. I'd say stick with what you have for now, try working in smaller sections and increase pressure while using a speed of 6.

I did go the rotary route on the car I was working with as it had etched in water spots.
                              The majority of consumers under estimate the difficulty associated with removing etched-in spots on a vehicle finish caused by the minerals in hard water. Read more on how Rasky tackles this daunting task on a black 2010 BMW 528i.

I'd hit Jessie up on his offer if you can too.
                              Looks amazing. SO to be clear, try and stick with a DA, 105 and a more aggressive pad, before moving to the rotary route?
                              2011 335i M Sport Coupe
                              2011 535i Sport
                              2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');