• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Liquid Wax Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Liquid Wax Tips

I must say that this wax took me for a bit of a learning curve but after words, my results were superior with half the effort of waxing with NXT.

One of the main problems that were reported on the forums with the Ultimate Liquid Wax was streaking. I originally reported the problems my self, but after a re-education with the new wax and understanding that this is a new hydrophobic wax I have concluded it was user error on my behalf.

Application and reaction of the new Ultimate Wax on paint is quite different then anything I have ever experienced. The product has butter like similarities and spreads with ease, very quickly. (Remember a little goes a long way and two thin even coats is better then one when using a LSP) The wax does leave behind a very thin silicone like residue so make sure you are over lapping during application since it can be hard to see in poor lighting.

Ultimate is a Pure Synthetic Polymer wax that almost disappears into your cars finish minutes after application to leave a smooth like glass touch and appearance almost instantly. I believe streaking with the liquid application is caused from not properly buffing each panel and over looking areas that completely evaporate into the paint before there is time for the final buff. So take your time rubbing out each section throughly and carefully not to miss any section of the paint.

My suggestion to eliminate streaking is to work in sections. I did tackle the entire car with a nice thin application of Ultimate. Soon as the last panel was finished I started buffing my first section I applied the wax on and worked from there. I would say 15-20min of dry time was given working this way.

Perfect, crisp, mirror reflections in direct sun.(Again, results will very depending on the prep and condition of your vehicles paint)

The absolute best part of the liquid version of this product is that it will not stain your vehicles plastic trim! This was a huge plus working on my Chevy Avalanche and my wifes GMC Acadia. Almost all new cars have plastic and you need to be so careful not to get anything on the trim that will stain or dry out the plastic. (imo the plastic looks better getting the wax on it, but this is an experiment for another weekend) With the Ultimate Liquid Wax there is no need NOT to get every square inch of your vehicles paint.

The only thing I would change about the Liquid package is the black applicator and the black MF towel that comes in the box. I understand black is elegant and looks sexy but the reality is you cant see dirt that gets picked up when your using an applicator that color and you also cant tell when its time to flip the MF towel . Should have went with the standard gold to match the Meguiars logo IMO.

If you have a daily driver exposed to the elements of daily driving I highly recommend this product. My truck has now been through 2 rain storms and the paint still has that soft "just wax feel" after washing. As for the product its self, if you take your time and give it a chance, you wont be disappointed with your results. If you like the Protection of NXT, Ultimate will be your new go to product after giving it a try!

Re: Ultimate Liquid Wax Tips

Thanks for the great review and tips, rst08tierney. Can't wait for the weather to get warm here to try out this new wax.

Comment

Fantastic write-up! Great tips. Thanks for taking the time do it. All of you guys are making me anxious to get this stuff!!!!!!!!!!
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I echo Blue and Shawn's comments!!

Excellent observation about the towel, too. I didn't use it, just threw it in the wash with some dirty towels after cracking open the Ultimate box.

Again, nice review look forward to your comments on plastic.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        David

Comment

Thanks for the extensive review and recommendations. Finally someone posted after pictures!!! Looks great!
          2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Great write up!

Always good to see real-world reviews on new products.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Here are some more pictures as requested by everyone. I took pictures during the entire process and for some reason they did not post on the original review.

This is a picture of the Ultimate Wax. Again, very buttery with a nice berry like scent

Picture of the waxes Constancy immediately after application. As you can tell its very transparent on the paint

21min dry time exactly. Note I do have a 3m clear bra 12in at the bottom of the hood. The Ultimate Wax worked perfectly on the bra

Notice how close I got to the plastic trim. I made sure to get right on it to test if it will stain

Finished Results

Comment

Great job applying a thin coat of wax, especially considering you did it by hand!

I think that was part of the key to your success with UW.
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for the additional pics. That paint looks outstanding!

I also was thinking along the same lines as you with the towel and pad being black - It's impossible to see any significant dirt on them. No biggie though.

Really wanted to try out the wax in the near future..but I see 20 degree days for the next 10 days here...oh well...I'll save the $20 and buy a loaded up pizza instead for now.

Comment

the color really pops, nice job!
                    Joel
                    1976 Cutlass S
                    2001 PT Cruiser
                    1990 454SS
                    Suburban

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Apollo IV View Post
                      Thanks for the additional pics. That paint looks outstanding!

I also was thinking along the same lines as you with the towel and pad being black - It's impossible to see any significant dirt on them. No biggie though.

Really wanted to try out the wax in the near future..but I see 20 degree days for the next 10 days here...oh well...I'll save the $20 and buy a loaded up pizza instead for now.
                      Im curious on meguiars take on the towel.

As for the weather im spoiled being in California. I got to wax on Saturday when it was 82 but trust me, we pay heavily to live in the sun!

Comment

I recently used the UWP and it worked out great. As for the towel and applicator pad I would use them only for wax steps wether applying or removing as the wax clearly shows on the black.

Comment

Nice write up.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by BS MXRacer View Post
                            I recently used the UWP and it worked out great. As for the towel and applicator pad I would use them only for wax steps wether applying or removing as the wax clearly shows on the black.
                            You used the Paste. The paste will stain your plastic trim so I would expect it to show on the black MF towel just like a normal carnuba paste or Nxt 2.0 paste.

When it comes to the liquid version, you could feel residue on the towel but you could not see it. My thoughts are its virtually impossible to find a clean portion of the MF for the final wipe.

Remember one of the selling points of the Ultimate Liquid is that synthetic polymers wont leave any white residue behind.

Again, my concern is about not being able to see dirt picked up by trim pieces or areas that could have been missed with washing.

Comment

Gotcha, I hadn't considered the zero residue with the liquid. Interesting thought, I didn't account for dirt left on trim pieces because I was thinking about the paint only which would be totally clean if you'd done any sort of clay/cleaner step.

You could reserve the black mf for paste version only or other waxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');